Custom Buttons and Switches

Michael

Hey Folks,

I want to add my garage clicker to a blank button space on my Levorg. That way I don't have my clicker floating around...... I have OCD.

I have a blank space on the other side of the hill assist and on the right under the dash, is there a site that sell buttons for the Levorg?

I did this on my old VW Golf, the EJECT opened my roller door :)

SkyBeam

I want to add my garage clicker to a blank button space on my Levorg.
I did a similar thing with my garage opener remote. I have integrated it into the map light compartment close to the drivers head :).
In fact this was quite simple to do. My opener was powered by a 12V battery originally. So I just removed the battery and opened the plastic case. Then I have connected the battery connectors directly to the levort 12V rail available in the map light enclosure. There is also plenty of space to put the little radio interface device there. For the buttons I simply drilled some 4mm holes in the blank plastic area to the left and right. Then placed some micro switches in. Nobody ever noticed yet that this was an afterthought. You might also use larger push-buttons or buttons with illumination/logo in it.

Due to direct attachment to the 12V rail I don't ever have to charge/replace the battery of the opener any more.

Rasputin1969

Good idea.

Was your remote powered by one of those small A23/A27 12V batteries like in the Gliderol units?

Any chance of a pic of your install Skybeam?

SkyBeam

OK, I just made some pictures. But not the best ones as I did a quick shot with the photo light on my mobile in dark garage ;) But you will get the idea.
Putting it in there was a quick and dirty hack. So don't complain about not perfectly drilled holes; it kind of does the job.
The push-buttons are simple microswitches an I drilled a small hole and a countersink on the outside to get the opening just big enough to stick my fingers in deep enough to press the button. Then I just hot-glued the microswitch from the inside. I have a garage door opener with 2 buttons so I have fitted one button to the left and one to the right of the map light.

You might of course put in some real push buttons or something which looks more classy. :)

The electronics module easily fitted on top into the map light unit (wrapped in electronics tape). The power connectors soldered directly to the naked power rails for the lights. Use a multimeter to find the constant power or simply check the connectors shorted by the map light push button.

Regarding the battery: In my one it's a 12V Varta cell which is labelled "V23GA" which might be identical to a standard A23 cell. However this does not matter. As long as your remote is 12V-Powered you can directly hook it up to the map light power supply (unless it loses all data on each power disconnect). You will have to test. If your remote does not work directly attached to the cars 12V then just leave the battery in there and stick it up to the map lights unit including the battery. There is plenty of space up there and you will likely have to replace the battery only every few years.

The map light unit is pretty easy to remove. If I remember properly you just pull the plastic transparent cover on one side. Then remove the bulbs and remove 2 screws. Then just pull it (take care not to rip apart the cable).

Michael

OK, I went out to my local electrical store and picked up a momentary switch.

I have a Merlin garage door, I then soldered the points of the door opener remote to my new switch and found a nice little place to hide it. The actual unit is in the steering wheel housing at the base.

SkyBeam

Cool, this seems to be a great place too. As the car is keyless and there is no lock there should be plenty of space in there for the remote. And it looks quite genuine too.
Did you hook it up to the car power supply or is it still battery powered?

Michael

Nope, I ran the same remote for 5 years in my GTI and used it every day. I just replaced the battery.

I did also purchase an LED momentary switch although I found it bloody hard to pick up power for the LED. Subaru do a good job at taping up all their wires, I went with the non LED version.

My ideal spot would have been in the centre console on the opposite side of the hill start button. If there is anyone out there that knows where to get an extra momentary switch for here please let me know.

Enjoy the hack.