CVT replacement!

Stu Pagdin

Hey guys

I had a ECU tune placed in the Levorg, and it has destroyed my CVT (bummed to the max). I was unaware of the issue until I took the car to Subaru to repair the 'gear slipping' that I had been experiencing while accelerating. After weeks of Subaru trying to diagnose the issue, they came to a halt as they realised I had a tune on the vehicle, and after getting the ECU flashed back to stock, they managed to diagnose the issue as too much torque going through the drivetrain, there fore destroying the CVT. Now, they are wanting 12-15k to replace the CVT as it's not covered under the factory warranty, and I am livid. I realise that I took the chance by putting the tune on, and now im trying to find a cheaper way to rectify this situation. Does anyone know if a second hand CVT has to come from the same model Levorg, or can I replace one from another Subaru model? And if anyone here has a lead to where I could potentially find a second hand one in good condition, or a reptutable place to start looking.
I'm based in Melbourne, but happy to look at other states to ship one in.

Please help, I want my baby back!

Rustysalami

Hi. There is Subaru wrecker at Logan that had a Levorg. Had a rear end crash and I was looking for a boot blind. Attached a screen shot of their details.

All the best.Screenshot_20200401-060307_Facebook.jpg

nicodache

Yeah so it's on me. I see that there is an attached screenshot. But when I click on it, I see ... nothing.

Thanks for the help you're providing to Stu though ;)

Rustysalami

Hey guys

I had a ECU tune placed in the Levorg, and it has destroyed my CVT (bummed to the max). I was unaware of the issue until I took the car to Subaru to repair the 'gear slipping' that I had been experiencing while accelerating. After weeks of Subaru trying to diagnose the issue, they came to a halt as they realised I had a tune on the vehicle, and after getting the ECU flashed back to stock, they managed to diagnose the issue as too much torque going through the drivetrain, there fore destroying the CVT. Now, they are wanting 12-15k to replace the CVT as it's not covered under the factory warranty, and I am livid. I realise that I took the chance by putting the tune on, and now im trying to find a cheaper way to rectify this situation. Does anyone know if a second hand CVT has to come from the same model Levorg, or can I replace one from another Subaru model? And if anyone here has a lead to where I could potentially find a second hand one in good condition, or a reptutable place to start looking.
I'm based in Melbourne, but happy to look at other states to ship one in.

Please help, I want my baby back!
Hey Stu. Any luck with another CVT? Out of curiosity what mods did you do for the CVT to fail? Just an ECU tune wouldn't have hurt the CVT by my estimation and from what I've read elsewhere. JDM Levorgs put out more torque than Aust specification.

Last edited:

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
Maybe Forester xt cvt will fix on your Subaru. Levorg 2.0 engine and gearbox are "the same" than 15+ wrx and forester xt.

Levorg 1.6 has a downgraded cvt, you should check compatibility between fa20 and fb16 cvt holes...

By the other side, many 15 wrx cvt owners have issues with torque converter... Check it before the complete gearbox.

How many hp and torque did you run?? I am thinking about tuning my fb16.

I readed that the cvt oil cooler is mandatory when the tune is done.

Sandman

I have a JDM Levorg, it has 400nm/221kw from factory. Honestly I would look at putting a manual gear box in for that money. see if you can use the WRX Eye sight (as they say there is an issue with the eye sight and being a safety feature of the car is a legal issue) so why not use the WRX eyesight software if there is any. They are manual, with eyesight and the same engine. Cant see why we can put the in. I will be having mine tuned onto of what it has, if the CVT goes, I will be researching and aiming to put the manual gear box in, then though 12-15K into another CVT..

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
I have a JDM Levorg, it has 400nm/221kw from factory. Honestly I would look at putting a manual gear box in for that money. see if you can use the WRX Eye sight (as they say there is an issue with the eye sight and being a safety feature of the car is a legal issue) so why not use the WRX eyesight software if there is any. They are manual, with eyesight and the same engine. Cant see why we can put the in. I will be having mine tuned onto of what it has, if the CVT goes, I will be researching and aiming to put the manual gear box in, then though 12-15K into another CVT..
The conversion wont be easy but it is possible... wrx equip the same engine than Levorg, and it is shell with 6mt.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
My 2017 Euro spec 1.6 has a transmission cooler.

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
Subaru cvt equip a heat exchanger, it is a pieze wi
Yes, the 1.6 has a heat exchanger... but does not equip a front cooler, which is the best and neccesary option if you put more torque to the cvt.
These two pics are the vm4 heat exchanger.
the last is the vmg oem cooler, added to the upper cooler, what you need for more torque.
If your 1.6t equip the two coolers, please, take some pics.

Attachments

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
No second cooler on my 1.6, just the stock oil-water one. All coolers are heat exchangers. The torque handling capacity of the TR580 gearbox is the limiting factor with the 1.6. The 2L has the TR690, a completely different transmission, with higher torque rating.

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
No second cooler on my 1.6, just the stock oil-water one. All coolers are heat exchangers. The torque handling capacity of the TR580 gearbox is the limiting factor with the 1.6. The 2L has the TR690, a completely different transmission, with higher torque rating.
Yes, no second cooler on the 1.6t, but yes on the 2.0t jdm levorg, so the cooler (the real cooler, mishimoto type) is mandatory when you tune the 1.6. It is what i said from the first message.
All coolers are heat exchangers, but not all heat exchangers are coolers... the stock 1.6 cooler is refreshed with coolant... if the engine coolant is hot, there is not cooling, but if you install the upgraded cvt cooler (mishimoto type, 2.0t extra cooler type, etc) and it is installed in the front, near the horns, and the thermostat of 82C with Subaru High Torque cvt fluid, you can enlarge the tuned gearbox life.
The 1.6 cvt gearbox (TR580) has 250nm on stock specs. When is tuned it can work with 300-305nm, but you shorten his life because the heat is a real problem, there is oil degradation...
The 2.0t cvt (TR690, stock 400nm) is less reliable than the other, you only need visit Wrx usa forums and read. By the other side, it has high torque limit.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
What kills the TR580 is too much torque, no amount of cooling will change that. The Levorg has a transmission temp warning light, no mention of that being lit in the original post. The manual WRX doesn't have eyesight, only the CVT one does, so a manual swap is not an option. Bottom line is, if you want a faster Levorg, get a 2 litre, if you want a manual, don't get a Levorg.

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
Subaru cvt problem is poor quality... i have seen some stock cvt broken and many others with really big problems.
You should read more about cvt fluid temp and consequences.
Manual swap is not possible? Money is the only limit: https://levorgclub.com/threads/levorg-manual-transmission-conversion.568/
I agree with you: if you want a faster Levorg, get a 2 litre, if you want a manual, don't get a Levorg... i want a faster Levorg but 1.6t is the only option in Europe.
And this is a gift for you Arkatee:
Nothing is impossible.