Dechrome levorg

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
Hi everyone,

I had a crack at de-chroming the window mouldings yesterday. I used Plastidip as I’d read it works really well.
I removed the trim, cleaned with metho and taped off the rubber moulds so I only painted the chrome. Applied 3 coats and let dry over night. I was happy with the result this morning but when I removed the tape, it pulled the paint off.
Can anyone tell me where I went wrong, any tips for applying straight to chrome. I have a feeling maybe the metho wasn’t the right thing to clean it with.

also, anyone know how to remove the chrome trim on the tailgate?

tha

Attachments

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Hi everyone,

I had a crack at de-chroming the window mouldings yesterday. I used Plastidip as I’d read it works really well.
I removed the trim, cleaned with metho and taped off the rubber moulds so I only painted the chrome. Applied 3 coats and let dry over night. I was happy with the result this morning but when I removed the tape, it pulled the paint off.
Can anyone tell me where I went wrong, any tips for applying straight to chrome. I have a feeling maybe the metho wasn’t the right thing to clean it with.

tha
Sup Nang, you did everything right EXCEPT ONE thing. You need to remove the tape BEFORE the paint dries. Couple minutes after your final coat, peel it off slowly at a 90 degree angle keeping it flat to the surface. If you leave the tape on too long and the paint dries it also dries onto the tape which will then remove the paint. Metho is fine, the plasti dip is designed to peel off like that ,even after a few years ;)
As to tailgate chrome, I don't know, I'm just guessing, but if you remove the plastic trim inside the tailgate I reckon you'll find a couple of nuts that are holding it on from the inside.

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
Sup Nang, you did everything right EXCEPT ONE thing. You need to remove the tape BEFORE the paint dries. Couple minutes after your final coat, peel it off slowly at a 90 degree angle keeping it flat to the surface. If you leave the tape on too long and the paint dries it also dries onto the tape which will then remove the paint. Metho is fine, the plasti dip is designed to peel off like that ,even after a few years ;)
As to tailgate chrome, I don't know, I'm just guessing, but if you remove the plastic trim inside the tailgate I reckon you'll find a couple of nuts that are holding it on from the inside.
My missus was right!! Thanks Guvna, I’ll have another go at it this weekend.
Tbh I haven’t looked at the tailgate thoroughly but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.
Hope you’re well mate

TaelFolf

Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Levorg GT-S 2.0
Hi everyone,

tha
How did you go about removing the window trim and reattaching it?