Hi from Sydney!

5p1k3y

Hello all!

New owner of a silver GTS, car is 3 weeks young and loving it.
Any tips on the car is much appreciated :D

P.S. Starlink sucks!

Grovel

Hi,
I have been in my Levorg for 9 months - 2.0 GTS. How do you like it so far? What sort of tips are you after? General ownership or are you looking to do a few mods?

5p1k3y

Enjoying the car! Came from a VW prior so the driving experience is quite different.

A few things of note:

- Factory bilsteins are way too stiff (Yes I understand its a sports car but, I've driven others that are more forgiving than these)
- Sound insulation needs work, Is this due to lack of deadening or are the tyres just terrible? I have the factory Dunlops of course.
- Factory stereo and head unit is terrible, Android auto would make this ok to live with.
- How is everybody's fuel economy? I get around 450 a tank before the light comes on.

Grovel

Ok, I'm actually on the blisteins, and find the ride pretty well balanced. Compared to my wife's type R my17 Passat, shod with 19 inch rims & 40 profile pirellis, the Levorg rides the bumps pretty well. I recently fitted new 18 x8 alloys and kept the original Dunlop sport max. According to the tyre tech who tried hard to sell me Continetals and pirellis reckons the Dunlops are very good tyre, and don't contribute to cabin noise, I think it's just a Subi quirk.

The infotainment is definitely average and now pandora have pulled up stumps the options are limited. I run a Bush DAB connected via the aux input so there are plenty of digital options plus a good boost to signal quality and fidelity. Will do till Subaru hopefully update the info software. I emailed Subaru marketing after the pandora notifications and they inferred there may be an update on its way....let's hope so.

My fuel economy ranges between 420 and 480, it all depends on the s# use ! No complaints. I have a sti skirt and mesh grille on order from Japan so will ad some styling enhancements soon.

iad

The infotainment is definitely average and now pandora have pulled up stumps the options are limited. I run a Bush DAB connected via the aux input so there are plenty of digital options plus a good boost to signal quality and fidelity. Will do till Subaru hopefully update the info software. I emailed Subaru marketing after the pandora notifications and they inferred there may be an update on its way....let's hope so.
About Pandora being discontinued in Australia - I have an iPhone and recently installed a VPN app - Opera VPN, it's free btw. Turn it on, set the country to the US, and Pandora works again.
I agree with you about the Bilsteins, and the road noise too.

5p1k3y

Ok, I'm actually on the blisteins, and find the ride pretty well balanced. Compared to my wife's type R my17 Passat, shod with 19 inch rims & 40 profile pirellis, the Levorg rides the bumps pretty well. I recently fitted new 18 x8 alloys and kept the original Dunlop sport max. According to the tyre tech who tried hard to sell me Continetals and pirellis reckons the Dunlops are very good tyre, and don't contribute to cabin noise, I think it's just a Subi quirk.

My fuel economy ranges between 420 and 480, it all depends on the s# use ! No complaints. I have a sti skirt and mesh grille on order from Japan so will ad some styling enhancements soon.
Interesting you say the Stock Bilsteins with the bounce is better than a Passat haha, missus actually wants to get a Skoda superb or an SUV to replace her car....

So keen for Android Auto or Apple Carplay update! Please do this Subaru! The hardware appears to be present you just have push out the update :)

Pandora is average at best, Spotify is so much better but the mirrorlink implementation is rubbish.

I've done some research and the Subaru USA OEM speaker upgrade seems to be a good compromise in sound upgrade and price ($400 ish delivered for all 6), perhaps we could do a group buy for any aussies interested?

How much was the sti skirt and mesh grille?

Grovel

VW & Skoda hey... Just off loaded a Skoda Superb Elegance wagon. The car itself was OK, pretty comfortable, good economy and plenty of space inside. Unfortunately the worst auto decision i've made. Turned out to be depeciation disaster, reduced in value by 30% in its first year - yes it was a dieselgate offender. Skoda dealership service and updates were really poor. Resell of the diesels are off the cliff, as there is a real trust issue in VW, Skoda, and Audi. If you are looking at second hand Superb diesel be weary. If new, petrol ONLY.

Subaru respond to feedback regarding most issues, so its worth you sending an email regarding infotainment software.
Factory mesh Grille $504 via air, genuine Subaru. I'll test the water on the Grille and if all goes to plan will place an order for the skirt. I'd be interested in the speaker upgrade - would you need an amp upgrade of some description to make the most of it?

moojy

Am on 95RON as well.
Would be hapy to have more power as well as better efficiency!
Really missing my old Impreza GB270, the Levorg is a bit of a damp squib.

moojy

Nope. Just the damp squib.
Along with it's other challenges:

1. Steering has weird feedback with little/no feel and heavy/self-centering when unwanted, and fails to centre when wanted.
2. Springs are very crashy, and damping soft and wallowy. Hard to control for driver and sickening for passengers.
3. Automatic is asleep most of the time and very slow to respond when needed. Pulling out is a scary experience, no idea when/if going to get any response.

Car actually has adequate power just refuses to deliver it when needed.
Everything in a car is a compromise of course, so all of these might be bearable - except the atrocious mileage makes it really not worth the pain. I mean what do you get in return for a lumbering, wallowy drive if not a saving on fuel?

My previous Impreza GB270 (estate) was a dream to drive, beautiful suspension, lightning quick and still gave me 320-350 from a 60L tank.
The Levorg has HUGE compromises and gets me 380-400 from a 60L tank.

Pretty depressing.

Grovel

The GB270 set the bar very high, with all those awesome STI parts its no wonder your expectations are missed. Wonder what would STI could produce if they were let loose on a Levorg? Maybe a 2.5, with all the latest dynamics! The WRX STI RA would be a closer match for the performance appreciators. Unfortunately I think its only set for the USA.

https://www.motormag.com.au/news/1706/2018-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-revealed

I suspect you'd need to upgrade a few parts on the Levo to make a fair comparison to a Rex. Somehow I don't think Subaru will ever turn out a sports tourer of the same caliber as the WRX.

5p1k3y

VW & Skoda hey... Just off loaded a Skoda Superb Elegance wagon. The car itself was OK, pretty comfortable, good economy and plenty of space inside. Unfortunately the worst auto decision i've made. Turned out to be depeciation disaster, reduced in value by 30% in its first year - yes it was a dieselgate offender. Skoda dealership service and updates were really poor. Resell of the diesels are off the cliff, as there is a real trust issue in VW, Skoda, and Audi. If you are looking at second hand Superb diesel be weary. If new, petrol ONLY.

Subaru respond to feedback regarding most issues, so its worth you sending an email regarding infotainment software.
Factory mesh Grille $504 via air, genuine Subaru. I'll test the water on the Grille and if all goes to plan will place an order for the skirt. I'd be interested in the speaker upgrade - would you need an amp upgrade of some description to make the most of it?
Currently have a Skoda Superb 118TSI, actually love the car its great besides from the constant oil topups, (typical VAG car behaviour) we purchased it a year old and got a great price. Car is amazing value for money and comfortable. Keen to get another Skoda again the resale is improving now!

From reports on other cars like the WRX, Forester and XV, the speaker is a straight swap no amp upgrades required. Even the door cards only need minimal disassembly.

Emailed about the infotainment all I got was sorry we'll update you when we know.
I use 98 and only get 440 - 450, abit lame :\ if you get 420 - 480 on 95 that's pretty good!

5p1k3y

Nope. Just the damp squib.
Along with it's other challenges:

1. Steering has weird feedback with little/no feel and heavy/self-centering when unwanted, and fails to centre when wanted.
2. Springs are very crashy, and damping soft and wallowy. Hard to control for driver and sickening for passengers.
3. Automatic is asleep most of the time and very slow to respond when needed. Pulling out is a scary experience, no idea when/if going to get any response.

Car actually has adequate power just refuses to deliver it when needed.
Everything in a car is a compromise of course, so all of these might be bearable - except the atrocious mileage makes it really not worth the pain. I mean what do you get in return for a lumbering, wallowy drive if not a saving on fuel?

My previous Impreza GB270 (estate) was a dream to drive, beautiful suspension, lightning quick and still gave me 320-350 from a 60L tank.
The Levorg has HUGE compromises and gets me 380-400 from a 60L tank.

Pretty depressing.

Sounds terrible, If I were in your shoes the car would be going back or be sold.
I find the bilsteins to recoil too harshly, they could of been tuned better!
I hear the MY18 car has an enhanced Bilstein package, wish Subaru would just recall all the MY17 levorgs and change it for us to this new enchanced package one can only dream....