Led upgrade

uteboy

1. ***Moved from New Member to keep post in the right location.
    Hi guys, just thought I'd post an update with pics of 5 front light options(drl, c-light, c-light+fog, c-light+Low beam+fog, c-light+low beam+high beam+fog) and rear de-badge. Also, have just started using Final Inspection Gloss Boost after washing - the depth is amazing.

uteboy

that looks sick! Where did you buy the LED's from?
Hi Chucky, online store - Blingworks in Melbourne. They have complete kits or singles for loads of different cars. I grabbed the my15 WRX set and all fitted/worked perfectly. Cheers.

Dee

It's pretty straight forward. Just undo a clip or two, pull plastic guard down and remove bulb and replace with new one. Then put plastic guard back and redo clips.

Luca

Sounds simple enough.

When you say bulb do you mean the whole LED unit/piece needs to be replaced or just the actual bulb?

uteboy

Sounds simple enough.

When you say bulb do you mean the whole LED unit/piece needs to be replaced or just the actual bulb?
Hi Luca, as Dee says, it's all pretty straight forward, and we're talking bulbs only - nothing additional. Once you have access, it's just a matter of unplug, twist out, swap bulb and do reverse.

Luca

Hi Luca, as Dee says, it's all pretty straight forward, and we're talking bulbs only - nothing additional. Once you have access, it's just a matter of unplug, twist out, swap bulb and do reverse.
Thanks for that uteboy.

I'm just about to purchase the front fog light bulbs.

Can you confirm the exact name\model that you bought?

I'm a bit confused whether it is the P13W DRL or H8 or H16 as it doesn't really tell me specifically.

uteboy

Thanks for that uteboy.

I'm just about to purchase the front fog light bulbs.

Can you confirm the exact name\model that you bought?

I'm a bit confused whether it is the P13W DRL or H8 or H16 as it doesn't really tell me specifically.
So in the actual lens itself you have two bulbs - 1 x P13W DRL at the front and 1 x H8 Fog sitting behind it. I went for both as I wanted the DRL to shine white during the day rather than the washed out yellow from factory.

Arctic Fennec

Got the Blingworkauto led kit as recommended on this thread. Haven't done a long freeway night drive, so yet to test the high beams, but the indicators, reverse and drls are ridiculously bright. Awesome.

On the other hand I ordered a cheap set of LED Light from eBay from Hk seller to replace the interior lights (map/ dome/ vanity/ license plate) to replace the halogen and I'm quite underwhelmed. The throw from the led lights is not as good or as the halogen (rear dome lights is especially bad). The extra height of the boot light means, the on/ off mechanism is not as smooth (expected brighter too). And I'm unable to remove the license plate light covers or front map lights despite the instruction manual.

1. Has anybody replaced the internal lights with LED and it's been better than the halogen? Im not sure if it's cos I got cheap generic led or led isn't suited to the task.
2. Can anybody help me figure out how to replace the map and license plate lights. YouTube video is for US spec module, and even Aussie instruction manual doesn't accurately depict. I've already scratched the trim a bit after trying with a screwdriver after the trim tool wouldn't work :(.

Last edited:

Dee

The leds I ordered from eBay were better than the stock bulbs. Your dome lights may need a bigger/stronger wattage, if it's underwhelming.

The licence plate lights is just a matter of pushing it to the side and pull out from memory. It's in your car owner's manual.

The map lights took a bit of fiddling with the supplied tool to get it out, but once you figure the first one, it was pretty easy. It was a matter of pushing in near the corners and slowly wedging it out, as there are "tabs" near each corner holding it in.

Toryg

Are you guys telling me that you spent 300 dollars on the led upgrade? Seams way over priced to my

uteboy

Hi Toryg, I guess we all see value in different ways. Blingworks product seems to be reliable, fits perfectly and has good reviews. Some may also say that the $700 I spent wrapping all of the chrome is a waste of money also. But I view cars as a health hobby, so am happy with what I pay(after much research of course). :)

H_Green

I bought the Blingworks kit late last year & have been very happy with it (have used in poor weather conditions too) - didn't worry about the LED indicators.
Interior bulbs I got from eBay - for very little money - as in $25 delivered & the kit did every conceivable bulb & number plates - all installed (I had the LED boot door lights installed & it was awful to have cool white vs. yellow in the boot area). It is how the car should have come from Subaru (among other changes)
Have ordered the LED DRL to replace the chrome "slash" in the bumper...once fitted will post up here...that did cost a bit more & tool me a few months to bite that bullet!
The bulb change was easy too - just read the Subaru manual :D

One suggestion - buy an interior panel removal tool (or I have a trusty cake slicer - no joke - very thin metal but strong as - it's all I use it for now) for the stubborn parts - most autoparts store sell them