Struts vs Coilovers

Josh

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 2.0L MY18
Hey love this forum, some really great information found on here.

I've had my Stock Bilstein Struts replaced under warranty about 8-12 months ago as they were constantly creaking during load and unload and could be heard through the car. I've just had my 63,000ks service and the struts are already leaking.
I'm going to have them replaced again under warranty but overall im not happy with the quality of the Bilstein so far. my intention is to purchase some after market coilovers or struts after having these replaced under warranty, what would you guys recommend without breaking the bank too much?

Cheers
Josh

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
G'day Josh.
Yeah the Bilsteins on these Levorgs are Rubbish, I've had one replaced under warranty too.
People seem to be happy with the MCA Coilovers (about $2250) not fitted,
and also the Silvers Neomax S ($1499) not fitted. Neomax also have a Black Edition ($1699) not fitted, firmer and have rear camber plates as well as fronts, the Neomax S has only front camber plates. The Neomax R are for track use as well as road ($1899) also not fitted.
I've seen people pay anywhere from $300 to over $800 for fitting. Personally, I'm going to fit mine myself and pay for a wheel alignment. Only 6 bolts and one clip to remove the fronts and even less for the rears. There is a great video from Subispeed that walks you through it, torque settings and all. Its for a WRX but same same ;) Here's the link for you -

https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEbPXCeVqBU

There is a good suspension thread going already, check it out for other options too.

Josh

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 2.0L MY18
Cheers for all that info,

Yeah i had a bit of a read of that suspension thread as well was pretty helpful just wanted to gauge prices for the different coilovers. Thanks for this still got heaps of time, Subaru are replacing them (again) under warrant so ill lash out and get a set in a few months and do a bit more research.

cheers

Scottyd

This is very interesting as my 2018 only has 32600kms on it and I had one strut replaced a year ago as it was leaking. Funny because I thought the bilstiens were quite good... but I’m keen to hear which brand coilovers are better.

bigsurlyt

Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Levorg GTSV1 STI
Hi Crew,

Has anyone tried or have any feedback on HSD Coilovers out of WA? Just trying to corner the market on best ride and response out there.

Ive had the car two months and the Bilsteins are driving me nuts. More bangs than Ron Jeremy on the nose beers....

Im also looking at MSA, Silvers and Blitz out of Japan.

Any info? Cheers!

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Hi Crew,

Has anyone tried or have any feedback on HSD Coilovers out of WA? Just trying to corner the market on best ride and response out there.

Ive had the car two months and the Bilsteins are driving me nuts. More bangs than Ron Jeremy on the nose beers....

Im also looking at MSA, Silvers and Blitz out of Japan.

Any info? Cheers!
Haven't tried the HSD, I'm assuming by MSA you actually mean MCA? Heard a few people are happy with Silvers. Personally I think its best to go with a local (at least in your Country) setup, Simply due to warranty factors and any initial problems with the coilovers you choose. I have MCA Pro Comforts and am having a few issues with them, MCA is sending down a complete new set to rectify the issues. Unfortunate and disappointing, but hey things do happen, and the service you receive after purchase is just as important IMO. Don't know how you'd go getting an overseas company to go to such efforts.

bigsurlyt

Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Levorg GTSV1 STI
Haven't tried the HSD, I'm assuming by MSA you actually mean MCA? Heard a few people are happy with Silvers. Personally I think its best to go with a local (at least in your Country) setup, Simply due to warranty factors and any initial problems with the coilovers you choose. I have MCA Pro Comforts and am having a few issues with them, MCA is sending down a complete new set to rectify the issues. Unfortunate and disappointing, but hey things do happen, and the service you receive after purchase is just as important IMO. Don't know how you'd go getting an overseas company to go to such efforts.
Ayyyy Guvna,

Thanks for the reply, and yes I did mean MCA, lol.

Definitely agree going with a local supplier is probably a smarter way forward, or at least a reputable brand with good reviews or info from tried and tested users.
I hear good things about the Silvers, and ill now take a look at MCA also.

Cheers Mate ;)

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Ayyyy Guvna,

Thanks for the reply, and yes I did mean MCA, lol.

Definitely agree going with a local supplier is probably a smarter way forward, or at least a reputable brand with good reviews or info from tried and tested users.
I hear good things about the Silvers, and ill now take a look at MCA also.

Cheers Mate ;)
Yeah I've read a few people are happy with the Silvers, I was leaning that way myself, mainly due to cost. But after speaking with Josh at MCA he sold me on his coilovers, he spent an hour on the phone with me, whereas I couldn't even get a response to an email I sent Silvers. Service is as important to me. MCA has just tweaked their internals setup in the last month too, mine are being shipped down from QLD now, it will be interesting to see the difference it makes from the old Pro Comforts, will keep you posted ;)

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Just had a set of Silvers Neomax Black installed......pity they are clunky and rattle at low speed. My shop is gonna replace them
Man that sucks when that happens, good they are replacing them though, hope it fixes the problem for you.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Just had a set of Silvers Neomax Black installed......pity they are clunky and rattle at low speed. My shop is gonna replace them
Hey Jerry, how'd you go with the replacement coilovers, they fitted yet? and are they better?

Jerry J

Vehicle(s)
2019 Levorg GTS
Hey Jerry, how'd you go with the replacement coilovers, they fitted yet? and are they better?
No luck yet mate, the replacements are still “on order”, thats what the shop says anyway hmmmmm….anyway I am getting used to he clunky ones lol, cornering is the best part of them

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
No luck yet mate, the replacements are still “on order”, thats what the shop says anyway hmmmmm….anyway I am getting used to he clunky ones lol, cornering is the best part of them
Damn! Hope they sort it for you soon. I had a similar issue with the first set of MCA’s ProComfort I bought. Josh sent down a replacement set which arrived the day we went into Lockdown aaaarrgggh!! Nearly 2 weeks of lookin at them on the lounge room floor longing for the time I can get them fitted. Got them fitted on Thursday and problem solved. Go back next Thursday for height adjustment and re alignment, then on a road trip down to Great Ocean Road with nice quiet Coilovers ;)

Jerry J

Vehicle(s)
2019 Levorg GTS
Damn! Hope they sort it for you soon. I had a similar issue with the first set of MCA’s ProComfort I bought. Josh sent down a replacement set which arrived the day we went into Lockdown aaaarrgggh!! Nearly 2 weeks of lookin at them on the lounge room floor longing for the time I can get them fitted. Got them fitted on Thursday and problem solved. Go back next Thursday for height adjustment and re alignment, then on a road trip down to Great Ocean Road with nice quiet Coilovers ;)
This is good news! ….i wasn’t aware you had a similar problem. I have been advised replacing the sway bar links can help solve the issue too….enjoy your freedom! It’s a great drive, did it on my motorbike many years ago

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
This is good news! ….i wasn’t aware you had a similar problem. I have been advised replacing the sway bar links can help solve the issue too….enjoy your freedom! It’s a great drive, did it on my motorbike many years ago
Swaybar links they say. The way I look at it is this, if the clunkyness wasn't there before the coilovers were fitted, then its not the swaybar links making the noise, it's the coilovers. I could be wrong, I'm just a big believer of the old 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' adage. Nang was told his whining noise could be his tyres, bought new tyres and still had the whining. I reckon the noise will go once they swap the coilovers over, mine certainly did. Have other people with Neomax had the same problem I wonder? Robo bought MCA's and had no problem, I mean sometines sh@t does happen, nothing can be perfect all the time, especially when hand built, its unfortunate but provided they rectify it I'm happy to chalk it up to 'bad luck but all's good now'.
Yeah Great Ocean Road, this will be my third visit there, consequently ALL in Subarus, my first MY96 GC8 Imprezza, then MY15 WRX, and soon the MY17 Levorg, the Levorg has now gone from having the worst suspension of the 3 to the best by far. Hell the missus doesn't even get carsick on the twisty bits anymore ;)

Jerry J

Vehicle(s)
2019 Levorg GTS
Swaybar links they say. The way I look at it is this, if the clunkyness wasn't there before the coilovers were fitted, then its not the swaybar links making the noise, it's the coilovers. I could be wrong, I'm just a big believer of the old 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' adage. Nang was told his whining noise could be his tyres, bought new tyres and still had the whining. I reckon the noise will go once they swap the coilovers over, mine certainly did. Have other people with Neomax had the same problem I wonder? Robo bought MCA's and had no problem, I mean sometines sh@t does happen, nothing can be perfect all the time, especially when hand built, its unfortunate but provided they rectify it I'm happy to chalk it up to 'bad luck but all's good now'.
Yeah Great Ocean Road, this will be my third visit there, consequently ALL in Subarus, my first MY96 GC8 Imprezza, then MY15 WRX, and soon the MY17 Levorg, the Levorg has now gone from having the worst suspension of the 3 to the best by far. Hell the missus doesn't even get carsick on the twisty bits anymore ;)
the sway bar link diagnosis was based on the “lowered” strance with the coilovers, as it changes the dynamics of the suspension…..I’m no expert and will be hoping the replacement units will fix it once and for all. As mentioned, even with the clunks I can’t believe how enjoyable cornering is with the Neomax’s!

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
the sway bar link diagnosis was based on the “lowered” strance with the coilovers, as it changes the dynamics of the suspension…..I’m no expert and will be hoping the replacement units will fix it once and for all. As mentioned, even with the clunks I can’t believe how enjoyable cornering is with the Neomax’s!
Didn’t realise you had lowered it, guess it’s possible then ey, hopefully the replacements do the trick. Yes cornering is so much better now I agree! It was good before but soooo much better now.

Nizkit

Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Levorg GT-S
I'm currently sitting in DHF tyres, Hallam in Vic waiting for MCA's to be fitted. (Thanks to some of the guys here doing the research for me!)

I'll let you know the difference after I drive it home.
I started to get a muffled rattling/knocking noise probably 6 months ago somewhere at the front of the car. Couldn't figure out what it was as first. Turns out it was the dreaded Bilstein's rearing their ugly face. Not to fussed as I was planning on getting coilovers anyway.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
I'm currently sitting in DHF tyres, Hallam in Vic waiting for MCA's to be fitted. (Thanks to some of the guys here doing the research for me!)

I'll let you know the difference after I drive it home.
I started to get a muffled rattling/knocking noise probably 6 months ago somewhere at the front of the car. Couldn't figure out what it was as first. Turns out it was the dreaded Bilstein's rearing their ugly face. Not to fussed as I was planning on getting coilovers anyway.
Great choice, you’ll love em. The guys at DHF are awesome too. That noise at the front you had was guaranteed to be the top hat, probably on the left front side too ;)