Wheels/tyres to improve ride?

Kiwicanuck

Vehicle(s)
2014 Levorg 1.6
I am going to replace my wheels and tyres, which are currently 215/50/17.

What is the best option to improve the ride (i have crappy stock suspension)? Should I go bigger wheels, wider?

I know the only real solution for suspension is new coilovers but for now I am replacing wheels/tyres so keen to understand what option is best to improve (or atleast not worsen) the stock suspension.

20kendo

Vehicle(s)
Legacy RS30 , Levorg 1.6GT
Have gone down to 215/50-17 from the 225/40-18's which were on my car, hoping this
will improve the ride quality on the appalling roads around me.

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
Trust me, save your money and get coil overs, then you can get the wheels that you like, not the wheels that you hope will help, because nothing will help only replacement suspension will help!

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
More sidewall will help a bit, but if you're already running 17's and it still sucks then you'll need to go to 16's. It will reduce the hard knocks a bit but will increase body roll etc. Gotsta say I agree with Robo, save up for coilovers and enjoy the best of both worlds. Not a small outlay but trust us, you'll never look back, and you'll enjoy the car anew.

20kendo

Vehicle(s)
Legacy RS30 , Levorg 1.6GT
UK models come on 18's as standard, went to 17's as much for the potholes
as the ride, some of the roads round here are appalling.
As it happens running my Legacy RS30 on 16's :)

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
I am going to replace my wheels and tyres, which are currently 215/50/17.

What is the best option to improve the ride (i have crappy stock suspension)? Should I go bigger wheels, wider?
Since you're already on 17s, the only option is to go lighter. I went from STI 18x8.5 wheels with 245/40 tyres to flow formed lightweight wheels 17x7.5 with 225/50 tyres, giving a weight saving of 7kg per corner. This reduction in unsprung weight made a massive difference to the ride and general feel.