Wiring diagrams

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where to get wireing diagrams? Speiclially for a 2016 Subaru Levorg 2.0 GTS with Side View Monitor?

Cheers

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg
I have 2016 Levorg that has the SVM Side View Monitor on the mirror. I need to see how the camera is wired in.

The dealer put in my Kenwood head unit and everything works like a charm except the side view camera. For some reason it will only work on the MDF when the original radio is in (even though it says that its "on" in the MDF) When you push the centre SVM button nothing happens. You can press and hold it and get into the other menus without any problems.

Failing to get it to work in the MDF If I can find where the camera comes into the dash I could possibly wire it into my Kenwood head unit directly as it can take 4-5 cameras. I won’t have the Subaru overlay but it would still suite the purpose of being able to see that side of the car for parking etc.

20211222_111915.jpg

20211222_111917.jpg

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
If it was working before the head unit was installed I’d be taking it back to them to fix as it seems like something they’ve done during install. Just my 2 cents worth ;)

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg
If it was working before the head unit was installed I’d be taking it back to them to fix as it seems like something they’ve done during install. Just my 2 cents worth ;)
I did exactly that. I then sat and watched while the guy installed the factory (JDM Panasonic CN-LR710DFA) radio back in to check. When the factory radio is in the SVM camera works no problem. Press the button and it pops up on the MDF as it should.

Somehow the factory radio and MDF are linked. When you take out the factory radio there is a page that then comes up on the MFD that says "Waiting for Navigation System” as well. This you can simply scroll past so it doesn’t bug me. Not being able to use the sider camera however is driving me nuts. Hence if I can get the wiring diagrams I could probably just take out the camera and wire it directly to my Kenwood radio.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
I did exactly that. I then sat and watched while the guy installed the factory (JDM Panasonic CN-LR710DFA) radio back in to check. When the factory radio is in the SVM camera works no problem. Press the button and it pops up on the MDF as it should.

Somehow the factory radio and MDF are linked. When you take out the factory radio there is a page that then comes up on the MFD that says "Waiting for Navigation System” as well. This you can simply scroll past so it doesn’t bug me. Not being able to use the sider camera however is driving me nuts. Hence if I can get the wiring diagrams I could probably just take out the camera and wire it directly to my Kenwood radio.
Damn, that sux! Definitely want that side camera working. Strange that it’s linked to the head unit since it comes up on the centre screen. I’ll keep my eye open if I see a wiring diagram.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)

Just had a quick search and found this, not a wiring diagram but instructions from a dude that hooked up a side camera to the MFD on an XV. He explains which wires go where, so it may be what you need. Let me know if it helps.

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg
Just had a quick search and found this, not a wiring diagram but instructions from a dude that hooked up a side camera to the MFD on an XV. He explains which wires go where, so it may be what you need. Let me know if it helps.
SVM Mirror.jpg

The side view monitor (SVM) allows you to see the curb side of your car so you can park nice and close without hitting your wheels. It also allows you to see how close you are parking to things in front of the car on the passenger side. In most countries I can see how this wouldn't be useful. If I was still living in South Africa this would have been useless. However, in a City like Auckland where parking spaces are so tiny and roads can be very tight is a VERY useful feature (especially if your wife is as small as mine and you don’t want her to damage your rims every few days )

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg

yeah, because SVM isn't something in (at least) Belgium. Maybe other countries too. Why do you even need that btw ?
The side view monitor (SVM) allows you to see the curb side of your car so you can park nice and close without hitting your wheels. It also allows you to see how close you are parking to things in front of the car on the passenger side. In most countries I can see how this wouldn't be useful. If I was still living in South Africa this would have been useless. However, in a City like Auckland where parking spaces are so tiny and roads can be very tight is a VERY useful feature (especially if your wife is as small as mine and you don’t want her to damage your rims every few days )

nicodache

Ok, so either it's an option that Subaru Benelux doesn't bother offering to us over here, or it was just not available on MY2015 Levorg.
Note that I don't recall seeing those anywhere on other Levorgs in Belgium, so that may be specifically for countries where people are afraid or curbing their wheels. Over here, we're more afraid of straight-up nuking them in potholes :(

shmity

Not sure what the dealer has done to yours, very odd. I put a kenwood unit in mine a few months ago and the side view camera works with the new unit, the old unit and even without a head unit at all.

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg
Not sure what the dealer has done to yours, very odd. I put a kenwood unit in mine a few months ago and the side view camera works with the new unit, the old unit and even without a head unit at all.
I have seen them here in NZ with aftermarket radio's in where the camera still work as well. Including the dealer I bought it from. This is why I am so determined to get it to work somehow. To be honust all the after market radio's are all still JDM units so I dont know if it has somethign to do with that.

Pcwel

With the panasonic strada set up there is a module that is mounted above head using the same brackets. This is the navigation interface the MFD and head unit as well as the MFD and proximity warning. It's listed as TV Tuner on some Japanese sites, so possible that the svm camera uses this also?? With the new head unit, is there a power supply to this?

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg
With the panasonic strada set up there is a module that is mounted above head using the same brackets. This is the navigation interface the MFD and head unit as well as the MFD and proximity warning. It's listed as TV Tuner on some Japanese sites, so possible that the svm camera uses this also?? With the new head unit, is there a power supply to this?
Hi Pcwel, THANKS for the reply. I did notice that other unit and it was left sitting above the new one. Do you think simply adding a 12v supply could solve the problem?

redpig

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg
Hi Pcwel, THANKS for the reply. I did notice that other unit and it was left sitting above the new one. Do you think simply adding a 12v supply could solve the problem?
Thanks again Pcwel. So I did a proof of concept after reading your reply.

I got a 12V supply form the cigarette lighter and powered up the old radio. Took the blue connector that’s at the back of the factory radio and plugged it in to the top box that was left behind (did not connect anything else). The SVM camera worked perfectly!!!!. The compass from the GPS then also works (Not worried about that at all though).

Just to make sure the the radio didn't have any "intelligents" with running the SVM camera, I plugged it in and pressed the SVM button on teh dash board before the radio had even booted up and the SVM camera works 100%. SO it looks like this box just needs to be powered for the camera to work.
Top unit.jpg
Connector 6v.jpg
I then took the blue connector and checked to see what voltage was coming out of it. Was hoping that it would be 12v (to make my life easy) but when I measured it came out at 6.4V. Measured with multi-meter positive on the 1st pin and then negative on all 3 other pins it comes up with the same 6.4V (see above pic).

I am not an auto electrician and normally know just enough about this kind of stuff to get myself into trouble.

Do you/anyone have some advice how I could safely power this unit up at 6V without blowing it??? I am pretty certain that if it just boots up it will solve the problem of the SVM camera not working.

Last edited:

NZNiknar

Vehicle(s)
2016 Levorg 2.0 GT-S
Thanks again Pcwel. So I did a proof of concept after reading your reply.

I got a 12V supply form the cigarette lighter and powered up the old radio. Took the blue connector that’s at the back of the factory radio and plugged it in to the top box that was left behind (did not connect anything else). The SVM camera worked perfectly!!!!. The compass from the GPS then also works (Not worried about that at all though).

Just to make sure the the radio didn't have any "intelligents" with running the SVM camera, I plugged it in and pressed the SVM button on teh dash board before the radio had even booted up and the SVM camera works 100%. SO it looks like this box just needs to be powered for the camera to work.
View attachment 1190
View attachment 1191
I then took the blue connector and checked to see what voltage was coming out of it. Was hoping that it would be 12v (to make my life easy) but when I measured it came out at 6.4V. Measured with multi-meter positive on the 1st pin and then negative on all 3 other pins it comes up with the same 6.4V (see above pic).

I am not an auto electrician and normally know just enough about this kind of stuff to get myself into trouble.

Do you/anyone have some advice how I could safely power this unit up at 6V without blowing it??? I am pretty certain that if it just boots up it will solve the problem of the SVM camera not working.
I have also recently started looking into replacing a Panasonic Strada CN-LR710DFA, everything appears to be the exact same as yours.
You can probably run that module on 6V with no issues, you might find that it ends up dropping from 6.4V to 6V under load anyway.

NZNiknar

Vehicle(s)
2016 Levorg 2.0 GT-S
While I've been looking around, I have found that the Panasonic CN-LR710DFA appears to be a dealer option replacement head unit, as per this listing.

Attachments

HaydenHillas

Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Levorg
I have had the exact same thing happen having a pioneer head unit in my 2014 Levorg but with the parking sensor display on the MFD. @redpig did you have any luck powering the small unit above the head unit? From your post above it looks like that blue plug must be plugged into the unit for the MFD to display any kind of image?