20 Questions on Throttle Controllers

Shanemvb

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S
Hi Guys,
I see throttle controllers posted as an upgrade if you seek easier access to the power of the Levorg.

My understanding is that the Levorg throttle is controlled elctronically and that the throttle is “smoothed” when the accelerator is pushed.
A throttle controller can be used to remove this smoothing of the throttle input to make the the throttle response sharper.
No power or torque gains are made with a throttle controller.

So for my questions...
Only 11 questions not 20.

1. Is the SI drive essentially a form of throttle controller?
2. Will a throttle controller give me any difference in Sports sharp (S#) mode?
3. Does a throttle controller effect the eye sight system and the radar cruise control? As in does the system account for greater responsiveness when adjusting to the speed of a “tagged” car.
4. What Throttle controller are you running, I see the Hikeit X9 mentioned for levorg.
5. The X9 only says 2016 model onwards, will it work on the JDM 2014 and 2015?, has anyone tried?
6. With the X9 can you simply turn it off, but leave plugged in, to revert to stock?
7. Anecdotally what is your experience with a throttle controller. Does it bring back the feeling of hitting/entering boost?
8. Has anyone noticed any fuel economy gains?
9. Any reason not to get one?
10. What are your preferred mounting positions for the controller and why? Photos appreciated.
11. Are there any general thoughts or things you think I should know about them?

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Hi Guys,
I see throttle controllers posted as an upgrade if you seek easier access to the power of the Levorg.

My understanding is that the Levorg throttle is controlled elctronically and that the throttle is “smoothed” when the accelerator is pushed.
A throttle controller can be used to remove this smoothing of the throttle input to make the the throttle response sharper.
No power or torque gains are made with a throttle controller.

So for my questions...
Only 11 questions not 20.

1. Is the SI drive essentially a form of throttle controller?
2. Will a throttle controller give me any difference in Sports sharp (S#) mode?
3. Does a throttle controller effect the eye sight system and the radar cruise control? As in does the system account for greater responsiveness when adjusting to the speed of a “tagged” car.
4. What Throttle controller are you running, I see the Hikeit X9 mentioned for levorg.
5. The X9 only says 2016 model onwards, will it work on the JDM 2014 and 2015?, has anyone tried?
6. With the X9 can you simply turn it off, but leave plugged in, to revert to stock?
7. Anecdotally what is your experience with a throttle controller. Does it bring back the feeling of hitting/entering boost?
8. Has anyone noticed any fuel economy gains?
9. Any reason not to get one?
10. What are your preferred mounting positions for the controller and why? Photos appreciated.
11. Are there any general thoughts or things you think I should know about them?
G’day Shane, 11 questions ey? Ok here goes:
1. Essentially yes it is, 3 different maps
2. Yes, not as much as IA or Sports though
3. No, I’ve noticed no effect on eyesight
4. I’m using Hikeit x9, but x5 is cheaper and just has less increments of adjustment, which I don’t use anyway. I’d buy the x5
5. Not sure on this one, I can’t see a reason why not, I’d call them, they respond well to calls and are very helpful.
6. Yes
7. Yes, depending on setting, Hikeit mode is instant response, right down to needing half throttle to get anything at all when in eco mode. Great for off-road to keep throttle smooth.
8. Fuel economy gains all come down to how heavy the left foot is, if used in economy mode and you don’t floor it you will get improved economy.
9. None that I can see.
10. I’ve mounted mine with Velcro on the bottom left corner of the main instrument cluster. Little bit stealth and easy to remove if needed.
11. I think you’ve covered everything, I leave mine in auto mode mainly, it chooses what it gives by how your drive, so better economy and power response when wanted.
One thing I will add as a thing to be aware of, as the Hikeit setting is extremely responsive I wouldn't use it until the car is warmed up, just like the Sports # setting isn't able to be activated until the engine reaches a certain temp, I'd treat the Throttle controller the same way as it does the same thing but bypasses that factory protection setting by allowing you to use is straight away ;)
Good luck with it, hope this helped ;)

Last edited:

Shanemvb

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S
G’day Shane, 11 questions ey? Ok here goes:
1. Essentially yes it is, 3 different maps
2. Yes, not as much as IA or Sports though
3. No, I’ve noticed no effect on eyesight
4. I’m using Hikeit x9, but x5 is cheaper and just has less increments of adjustment, which I don’t use anyway. I’d buy the x5
5. Not sure on this one, I can’t see a reason why not, I’d call them, they respond well to calls and are very helpful.
6. Yes
7. Yes, depending on setting, Hikeit mode is instant response, right down to needing half throttle to get anything at all when in eco mode. Great for off-road to keep throttle smooth.
8. Fuel economy gains all come down to how heavy the left foot is, if used in economy mode and you don’t floor it you will get improved economy.
9. None that I can see.
10. I’ve mounted mine with Velcro on the bottom left corner of the main instrument cluster. Little bit stealth and easy to remove if needed.
11. I think you’ve covered everything, I leave mine in auto mode mainly, it chooses what it gives by how your drive, so better economy and power response when wanted.
Good luck with it, hope this helped ;)
Thanks Guvna,
A great response as always, pretty sure the entire forum appreciates the time you take responding to queries.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Ooh shucks lol
My pleasure. Thanks guys, appreciate your kind words. Its great to be able to get ideas and opinions from others with our cars, great starting point for your own research into things. I've gotten alot out of this forum, small as she is, anything I can give back I'm happy to. Though the forum can be quiet at times due to relatively small size, its also a good thing as I don't like having a car that everyone has, and the Levorg is still relatively unknown in comparison to other models which I think is cool. Had a guy stop next to me at the lights the other day and his first smiling words were "What the F2%k is a Levorg?!" I explained it to him and then he went on to praise its looks, always nice when that happens ey
Any update on your 'possible wheel bearing noise' Nang? And what about those panel repairs? All done? How much damage was done in the end?

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
Ooh shucks lol
My pleasure. Thanks guys, appreciate your kind words. Its great to be able to get ideas and opinions from others with our cars, great starting point for your own research into things. I've gotten alot out of this forum, small as she is, anything I can give back I'm happy to. Though the forum can be quiet at times due to relatively small size, its also a good thing as I don't like having a car that everyone has, and the Levorg is still relatively unknown in comparison to other models which I think is cool. Had a guy stop next to me at the lights the other day and his first smiling words were "What the F2%k is a Levorg?!" I explained it to him and then he went on to praise its looks, always nice when that happens ey
Any update on your 'possible wheel bearing noise' Nang? And what about those panel repairs? All done? How much damage was done in the end?
I agree mate, love having a car that you rarely see on the road. Most people ask what is a Levorg. The response is always “basically a wrx wagon” haha

I received a text today from the panel shopit’s been striped and waiting for parts. No other updates than that. Not sure what the quote was, I keep forgetting to ask. I’ll be asking how much when I pick it up for sure.

Nothing more on the bearing, going to contact gotitwrx when I get it back and see what they think. Might take it for a drive up there and see what they think. I’ll keep the page updated once I know more

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
I agree mate, love having a car that you rarely see on the road. Most people ask what is a Levorg. The response is always “basically a wrx wagon” haha

I received a text today from the panel shopit’s been striped and waiting for parts. No other updates than that. Not sure what the quote was, I keep forgetting to ask. I’ll be asking how much when I pick it up for sure.

Nothing more on the bearing, going to contact gotitwrx when I get it back and see what they think. Might take it for a drive up there and see what they think. I’ll keep the page updated once I know more
Ooh shucks lol
I just picked up the car, looking very fresh! $9200 all up for the repair