Splutter on Ignition

Laura G

Has anyone had an issue with their Levorg occasionally spluttering on ignition? It sounds like it is going to stall and then revs the hell out of itself. Could it be an issue with my Mass Airflow Sensor?

ColS

Mine had done that about 6 times now. It's almost as if the car is about to stall and then it revs up.

I'm going to mention it at my first service in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Laura G

Nice to know it's not just me! It did it twice yesterday. I noticed the second time that I did not have my foot on the brake particularly heavy when hitting the ignition button. Could be nothing but I will keep an eye on it. Let me know how you go at servicing.

Chucky

Same thing here, happened to me twice now..almost due for first 6 month 12500km service and will mention it then. Also finding car runs better on 95 octane compared to 98..

ColS

I just got mine back from service yesterday after mentioning this issue.

They couldn't replicate so couldn't do anything about it.

Rasputin1969

It's a Subaru thing. Mine does the same thing every once in a while and so did my MY15 WRX.

Parian

No issue's with the Levorg's ignition so far, the Outback use to do it occasionally.

Also finding car runs better on 95 octane compared to 98..
You would be right as they come tuned to 95. You can get the car tuned to run only on 98 with an slight increase in performance.

Chucky

You would be right as they come tuned to 95. You can get the car tuned to run only on 98 with an slight increase in performance.
Thank you so much for this info. I actually took my Levorg back to the dealership 2nd day I had it as the car was under performing. They kept it for 4 days trying to figure issue out, they came back saying it was contaminated fuel (It was filled up with their fuel the day of delivery) anyway. Car was good for a week or two but went back to same laggy performance issue. Mentioned this on the 1 month checkup, the service technician noticed the last fuel receipt for 95% octane fuel and linked this to the lag issue with the car. I was told to put 3 tanks of 98% octane through the car and if the problem persisted to return the car for another checkup. Also to only ever use 98% in it.

This is interesting because, I had only been using 98% octane, but on the very last tank before taking it in for the 1 month checkup I had filled her up with 95%.

So, ever since this event i've been using 95% and the car has been perfect! So the Subaru guy had no idea what he was talking about in other words....

Parian

So the Subaru guy had no idea what he was talking about in other words....
Unfortunately this is becoming more common.

I never use different fuel suppliers and stick with BP only. Some people chase 'cheap' fuel and that may or may not compromise engine stability. Just my own opinion/experience for what its worth ;)

nicodache

Same here, trying to stick to the same fuel. No idea if the car performs to its max, but I'm not so interested in this, considering the price of the fuel over here (we're talking 1.35€ for one liter). As long as it runs without splutter or acceleration cutoffs, I'm fine.

Alex from Italy

Did you already had the official recall from Subaru? here in Italy we are having it during these months and they will reprogram the ecu I think due exactly to this kinda problem. Probably, if not, you'll have it very soon.

Last edited:

Stumpvold

Heard this from a Swiss Levorg owner too, but we have not heard anything here in Norway. Apperantly, engine failure is a probability without the update.

Alex from Italy

Heard this from a Swiss Levorg owner too, but we have not heard anything here in Norway. Apperantly, engine failure is a probability without the update.
Uh... I'm pretty sure they will recall also there in Norway on MY15 and MY16 (that is the year model). Just wait and you will receive a letter (in Italy works like that) saying they have to reprogram the Ecu due to engine failure particulary when you turn on the engine and (in a very few cases) it may cause damages to it. Anyway it's a fast job to do. :)