1.6l Modifications/Tunes

Levorg94

Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Levorg 1.6. Premium
Hi everyone, I have the 1.6l and am looking into modifications and getting tunes. Does anyone with a 1.6l modified/tuned? What power are you making? I know the cvt is the limiter but I am not expecting huge power.

Is it worth modifying and tuning a 1.6l? And what would the rough power gain be if I did CAI, exhaust and tune?

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
I'm sure the FB16 has a lot more in it, 200 bhp should be easily achievable with just a remap, and maybe exhaust. It's aleady got a CAI. However, the CVT would also need to be remapped too to get the best out of it as the engine/transmission are programmed to work together. The Levorg is not like an old skool EJ20 scooby which you can boost to 400 bhp and forget about the transmission (until it goes bang). Personally I wouldn't bother, it would cost a lot to do properly, prob as much as swapping to a 2-litre. I'm happy with mine the way it is, plenty fast enough for the kind of car it is.

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
Hi everyone, I have the 1.6l and am looking into modifications and getting tunes. Does anyone with a 1.6l modified/tuned? What power are you making? I know the cvt is the limiter but I am not expecting huge power.

Is it worth modifying and tuning a 1.6l? And what would the rough power gain be if I did CAI, exhaust and tune?
Arkatee has called it about right. I don't know where about in the world you are, but it might be worth your while importing the turbo'd 2.0 Levorg from Japan (to get it in RHD) they drive on the same side of the road as the UK.
SBT Global Car Imports are the bad boys I'm watching. The prices can be displayed in various currencies, mileage, engine size, photo's usually and specifications. There's even a choice of which port they can ship to. I've seen on the website that they can export LHD vehicles, though.
I may even consider going down that route next year, if I decide not to downsize and want more oomph!
Just be aware that for different markets in the world, Subaru specify their cars differently. But all of these JDM Levorgs come with the eyesight system. Apart from the base spec 1.6 Levorg. Yes, there is a base spec Levorg. You have the premium which is the UK equivalent of GT spec.
For example, for a 2.0 Levorg check this out https://www.sbtjapan.com/dealers-cars/subaru/levorg/DXX8874 ;)

Last edited:
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure the FB16 has a lot more in it, 200 bhp should be easily achievable with just a remap, and maybe exhaust. It's aleady got a CAI. However, the CVT would also need to be remapped too to get the best out of it as the engine/transmission are programmed to work together. The Levorg is not like an old skool EJ20 scooby which you can boost to 400 bhp and forget about the transmission (until it goes bang). Personally I wouldn't bother, it would cost a lot to do properly, prob as much as swapping to a 2-litre. I'm happy with mine the way it is, plenty fast enough for the kind of car it is.
I tried to get my Levorg remapped last year and after having the car all day the garage admitted defeat. After checking with contacts all over the UK, it turned out that Subaru had locked out the ECU to freelance tuners. The only option at the time was to stick one of them gadgets on the end of the fuel rail, which I didn't want. I don't know if that situation has been improved.
There are firms in the UK on the web claiming to be able to 'chip' the Levorg but when I rang a couple of them last year, they actually hadn't worked on a Levorg yet.

Levorg94

Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Levorg 1.6. Premium
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think importing might be out of my budget. I am happy with my 1.6L. But the CVT is limited. I might just do a catback exhaust to get a nice note and that is about it.

Vehicle(s)
Don't forget to fit your cat back on when it's MOT time!

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
For anyone wishing to go ahead with a remap for the 1.6, it would be worth contacting Edward at http://xtremeracingtuning.com who does remote tunes from Barbados. He has an excellent reputation with Legacy and Impreza owners worldwide, and has done work on the latest DIT WRX with CVT.