Android Headunit

Magenb

Vehicle(s)
Mx5
I've got the idoing head unit in now, just fine tuning things. Has anyone been able to use Google Assistant on an Android head unit to control the phone functions (calls/sms), with the phone just connected via bluetooth not Android auto?

nicodache

I don't believe the bluetooth protocol itself allows for SMS stuff. At least, bluetooth allows for pairing to be used for calling, contact sharing, and multimedia streaming. I don't recall seeing SMS/text in the bluetooth paring settings (but it may be included in the calling aspect possibly ?)

Magenb

Vehicle(s)
Mx5
Bluetooth does allow for sms, most cars now let you send basic texts however I found the problem.

Android Voice command software assumes it's installed on a phone, as such it sends the command to the "phone app", in the case of the android head unit, it doesn't use it, and often they use a custom "bluetooth" application. In older version of Android someone wrote an app that would intercept the command and redirect it to the custom app. I have not been able to find anything for android 10.