Can you swap head units from a newer model?

Magenb

Vehicle(s)
Mx5
I see some later models in the wreckers now, has anyone tried swapping a head unit from a later model Levorg to get android auto?

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
No, but I would love to know if you can? If you call up a dealer with your vin and the part number of the new unit maybe they could guide you?

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
Also see this link from ebay Australia
It talks about a complete fitting kit including wiring? For a 2017 - 2018. Now 2018 in Australia had the Android auto, 2015/6 did not, but my 2017 had almost everything the 2018 had such as led lights that follow the steering wheel, led driving lights, 40/20/40 split rear seat etc etc so maybe it can plug and play? Costly to find out....

Magenb

Vehicle(s)
Mx5
Also see this link from ebay Australia
Interesting find, but something isn't right, the pic doesn't actually match what's in any Subaru's I've seen, and the description also says the voice activations will not work, kind of odd if it is meant to come with a wiring kit, so not sure if there is a legit wiring issue between the year models or if someone is being creative. Either way at that price, you'd just buy an aftermarket unit, get android auto and a bunch of other improvements.

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
Interesting find, but something isn't right, the pic doesn't actually match what's in any Subaru's I've seen, and the description also says the voice activations will not work, kind of odd if it is meant to come with a wiring kit, so not sure if there is a legit wiring issue between the year models or if someone is being creative. Either way at that price, you'd just buy an aftermarket unit, get android auto and a bunch of other improvements.
True, but it is coming from a subaru dealer (subaru docklands in Melbourne)