GPS update (EMEA)

nicodache

So,

At 62kkm, 4th maintenance, and 4th time I'm asking my dealer for a GPS update.

The GPS application dates from April 2015, and the map I care most about (Goiedag Belgïe :p ) is from 2013.

Three times, he told be no updates were available.
This time, he told me one update was available to me, but that I had to pay ~230€ because it came in the form of a new microSD card from Subaru.

I was told when I bought the car, that GPS map updates would be free (besides upgrade labour at the dealership) during the warranty period (which is still ongoing in my case).

So, two questions :D

1. has anyone a Levorg with a navigation thing, with the GPS application more recent than 2015 (or the Belgium, Luxembourg, France maps more recent than 2013), who'd be willing to share some files with me ? (You'll just need a micro-SD card reader and an internet connection. Which you have if you are reading this)
2. Has someone found a workaround to using Subaru dealers for GPS map updates ? I've found some GPS update files for USA Subies, but I couldn't care less about Wisconsin (as beautiful as it is), as I'm driving western Europe :D

Thanks.
-- M

nicodache

Do I understand right that the update is 199€, and I need to pay 100€ for shipping the updated map ? (I suppose this comes in the form of a SD card or something ?)

That stuff is even more expensive than my dealer price...
soub.png

manumissio

-36 months free updates for a new dealer registerd subaru (for European customers)
after this
-36 month map update subscription € 243 (online download)
or
- single time update € 114 (online download)
or
- a new sd-card € 199 excl. €7,50 shipping costs,

Steep prices for a limited iGO system.

nicodache

-36 months free updates for a new dealer registerd subaru (for European customers)
Well, I bought my car new in August 2018. So thanks for confirming I've got the right to free updates. I'll have a chat with my dealer again...

(just read your introduction again. My car was actually a show room display car somewhere in amsterdam/rotterdam/<something>dam, but was sold to me as new, with 8km on the odometer. That counts as new to me, regardless of the manufacturing date :))

manumissio

I think that the 2018 models are not updated with the "subarugen2 toolbox" but by https://subaru-maps.com for the subarugen 3 (from year 2018 and further).
Subarugen2 toolbox is for the years 2015, 2016 and 2017.

moojy

That's really helpful info guys.

On a (kind of) related topic - does anyone know if there are software updates available for other parts of the car - assume that is very much a dealer install - but just need to know what to ask my dealer for. Updates to dashboard/display would be nice but the big one would be any improvements to the ECU and/or CVT firmware to improve behaviour. Modern cars like the Levorg are very much sw driven, adjustments are made with newer models and for different regions.
Wondered if anyone out there in Europe, Australia, Asia, etc was seeing new versions as a Subaru support feature and if so where and what?
And of course, specifically for me if any updates available in the UK.

nicodache

Absolutely no clue about other software/firmware update/reprog available, besides the TDI thing for the CVT, or a bespoke standalone.

moojy

Wasnt thinking of an ECU remap, already have the TDI thing. I mean the whole CVT and steering is pretty much sw based, being electronic. Wondered if there were updates, one experienced Subaru mechanic (not dealer) mentioned to me that some of his customers had mentioned bugfixes being applied on their Levorgs...

moojy

Tried the map update - was a chargeable offer in the UK - need to speak to my dealer and find out whether I am entitled to free upgrades or not as the car is under warranty for 5 years.

Sabi

Just had mine updated this week at my dealer for free. Full Europe

moojy

Yeah my dealer just told me it is free too. So will try again online, if doesnt work, will get them to do it for me....

nicodache

Quick update ; tried subaru-maps.com, installed the app, registered, tried to add a car, told me my VIN is not valid. Makes sense if indeed it's for MY2018+ car (mine is 2016)

Also tried subarumapupdates.com, installed SubaruGen2, stuck the SD card in, told me first use is 2016-08-04 (correct), and that no free update are available. But that I'm most welcome to cough up 199€ for a new SD card (plus shipping), or 114€ for a one-time update, or 243€ for a 3-year subscription (without guaranteed updates...)

I've updated my dealer, who's going to call his rep for Belgium, and ask him WTF (because he's been consistently told 3 years of free upgrades too).

We'll see where we get from here...

nicodache

Yeah my dealer just told me it is free too. So will try again online, if doesnt work, will get them to do it for me....
Hey, my dealer heard from Subaru Belgium there never was free updates for the MY2017 Levorg (which is the same as the 2015 and 2016 in terms of infotainment).

So if you can get in writing from your dealer that there *is* 3 years free update for GPS maps on your Levorg. And ask them to update the maps once they confirm to you it is indeed free for 3 years from purchase date of a new car :)

I'll see what my dealer answers me now that I reminded him that just 3 days ago, he told me there had to be some free updates...

moojy

Yep, I had same experience as you had above re SubaruGen2. Dealer also told me updates free, taking car in to see him, and ask him to put it on there for me then!