Hub centric wheel spacers

lerroy

Vehicle(s)
VMG (A) Levorg
Hi all

well might have just opened a can of worms...

Just got some new tyres and had a wheel alignment and balance was probably just me but the wheels seem more in the guard now.

I bought some el-cheapo spacers online just to have a play to see what it would look like with a change of offset. (not to drive with)

I only did a 10mm spacer I tried with 2x 10mm but not enough thread to put wheel on to see.
I really like the look of the 10mm spacer definitely an improvement.

Wheels are 18x8.5 55 offset with 245/40/18 tyre

Here is a comparison image with 10mm spacer on rear only

levorg- spacers rear.jpg

Front - not the same angle but give a bit of an idea

levorg- spacers front.jpg

NOTE - I have read all the negatives on spacers and why you shouldn't do, but I'm not going crazy wide and I will do it properly and safely and get certified.

So few issues...

1. I live in New Zealand and to be legal you need to have any spacers certified. This costs EDIT 400-500 NZD ( original est $500-700 roughly)
  2. They also need to be hub centric
  3. From what I can see online the smallest they make in hub centric that aren't slip-on are 15mm, I'm slightly worried these will be to far out.
  4. There are slip on hub centric units at 10mm but I would need to install extended wheel studs which would be a pain.

Has anyone in NZ got spacers certified ?
Do I need a certain brand or any other information would be helpful

Last edited:

nicodache

1. I live in New Zealand and to be legal you need to have any spacers certified. This costs $500-700 roughly
That's almost the price of a new set of rims, with a bit more pokin out... :p

lerroy

Vehicle(s)
VMG (A) Levorg
  1. I live in New Zealand and to be legal you need to have any spacers certified. This costs $500-700 roughly
That's almost the price of a new set of rims, with a bit more pokin out... :p
That's NZD and i over estimated, 400-500Nzd I've been told

new set of rims would be 2 or 3 times that here easily unfortunately

Last edited:

lerroy

Vehicle(s)
VMG (A) Levorg
Here are some additional pdf files from NZTA LVVTA to do with spacers if anyone is interested

I have purchased 2x 15mm hub centric "adaptors" that fit to the hub and will give them a try see what it looks like and make sure bolts don't foul on the wheel

Attachments

lerroy

Vehicle(s)
VMG (A) Levorg
I have purchased some 15mm Hub centric spacers and they seem to work great

I have added pics in my build thread

will try and arrange later in the year

lerroy

Vehicle(s)
VMG (A) Levorg
OK update on this I'm gonna scrap the idea

The cert process is pretty nuts in nz, was going be to be very costly and when it gets certified all mods on car are locked in photos taken of eveything. You won't be able to add or change anything without be re certified.

Car is an ongoing project, so won't be going the spacers route. Will look at proper offset wheels in future.