I like my new tyres

Rustysalami

Hi all.

I've finally worn out the tyres to put on some decent ones. Previous owner had put some cheap Chinese ones on the back and the original Dunlop Sports were on the front. Blah...

After a lot of research (plus they were on sale!) I just put on some Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I read some good reviews for the Pilot Sport 4, and couldn't really justify the extra cost of the 4s' for not much performance gain.

Happy to report these tyres are quiet, very grippy and soak up rough roads. Took the car for blast on my local test track and a huge improvement all round. In particular the tyres soften the rough patches of road. The ride is that much smoother I thought the tyre shop had underinflated the tyres. I was shocked to see 40psi on my tyre gauge, and I left it like that.

I can barely feel cats eyes when I run over them (with 40psi) and the handling is a lot more balanced with my coil overs. Definitely softer in the sidewall when I push them, but I'd rather put up with that to soak up rough roads - and there's lots in Brisbane.

Having just said all this, I did mention I had crap tyres to start with. Anyway I would recommend these tyres.

Cheers

Rusty

20200623_124310.jpg

nicodache

great to read, as I'm considering those for when my current ones will be done.

I currently have dunlop up front, and michelin premacy 4 at the back. and I'm disappointed in the premacy - they're not as comfy as I thought they would be, and on some road they create a drone noise. The dunlop do too, but so much less. I wondered if I had under/over-inflated those michelin, but pressure was right on. I won't purchase premacy 4 ever again. But I'll give the PS4 a shot :)

Doogz32

Vehicle(s)
2018 Levorg GTS 2.0
Thanks Rusty for the feedback. If those tyres softened the ride a bit on top of the other improvements, then I'd definitely consider them in future for our Levorg.

Rustysalami

Gday Rusty
Which coil overs did you go for? And how are they going now?
MCA street performance. I think they handle nice without sacrificing comfort, but comes down personal preferences. I need to give them a ring though as one of the damper adjusters seems to have frozen up.

Rustysalami

So I called MCA about my stuck damper adjuster. Very helpful and I'll try pulling it apart myself to see what the problem is. If that doesn't work they will have at look at it for me.

bigsurlyt

Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Levorg GTSV1 STI
Nice writeup and yes, top end tyres make all the difference to ride and performance. Dont even bother with the Chinese options, slick as wet shit at a waterpark and very poor quality.

I can recommend the Pirelli Dragon sports, have had them on my WRX and what a massive upgrade from the Kumhos that were on it beforehand. Ride, grip, and steering feel all instantly improved.

Cheers Crew

roAr

Vehicle(s)
2015 2.0L GTS Subaru Levorg
great to read, as I'm considering those for when my current ones will be done.

I currently have dunlop up front, and michelin premacy 4 at the back. and I'm disappointed in the premacy - they're not as comfy as I thought they would be, and on some road they create a drone noise. The dunlop do too, but so much less. I wondered if I had under/over-inflated those michelin, but pressure was right on. I won't purchase premacy 4 ever again. But I'll give the PS4 a shot :)
bummer.. i was looking at primacy 4's for its ' silent technology ' but maybe a top end tyre such as the PS4 would be great, riding on some Bridgestones atm, nothing special came with the car from japan :eek: ! there is alot to learn for me as im only really new to the whole car scene.

GB2019

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S 2.0
Hi all.

I've finally worn out the tyres to put on some decent ones. Previous owner had put some cheap Chinese ones on the back and the original Dunlop Sports were on the front. Blah...

After a lot of research (plus they were on sale!) I just put on some Michelin Pilot Sport 4. I read some good reviews for the Pilot Sport 4, and couldn't really justify the extra cost of the 4s' for not much performance gain.

Happy to report these tyres are quiet, very grippy and soak up rough roads. Took the car for blast on my local test track and a huge improvement all round. In particular the tyres soften the rough patches of road. The ride is that much smoother I thought the tyre shop had underinflated the tyres. I was shocked to see 40psi on my tyre gauge, and I left it like that.

I can barely feel cats eyes when I run over them (with 40psi) and the handling is a lot more balanced with my coil overs. Definitely softer in the sidewall when I push them, but I'd rather put up with that to soak up rough roads - and there's lots in Brisbane.

Having just said all this, I did mention I had crap tyres to start with. Anyway I would recommend these tyres.

Cheers

Rusty

View attachment 771
Rusty. Great tyre choice and it’s good to hear of the great improvement over stock. I went Pirelli P Zeros and I had similar improvement

GB2019

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S 2.0
I went Pirelli P Zeros and have them at 40 psi for everything. Day to day and touring, regardless of load. I bought a full size spare and had a Pirelli Dragon fitted. The Zeros can’t be changed from left to right but the Dragon is versatile as the spare

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
So I called MCA about my stuck damper adjuster. Very helpful and I'll try pulling it apart myself to see what the problem is. If that doesn't work they will have at look at it for me.
How’d you go with your damper adjuster Rusty?