Interior light - where to connect

SkyBeam

I would like to mount some 12V LED stripes somewhere in the foot area or under the seats. I already have the LED stripes but don't want to connect it to the lighter socket or any 12V constant power. I want it to go on when the doors are open and to go off when the doors close. Just like the dome lights.

Is there any connector near the dash I can use for this?

The only connector I currently know is the one at the dome lights and I don't want to run a cable down from the dome lights. Especially as I think they anyway must go up there from the dash. So does anybody know where I can tap in or where those cables end up?

What makes the thing more difficult is that Subaru seems to run 12V constantly to the dome light and pulling GND to ground only when the lights are on, or more precisely their "Light GND" seems to be dimming by changing from 0V to xV up.

nicodache

can't you use the door close/door open contact (in the door seal) to know when to light it, and then just use some 12v (from like driver electrical adjustable seat, or seat heater assy) ?

the door contact is normally closed, and you want to just reverse this, so you close the contact when the door contact opens, but you can just get a small pcb to do this for you. I guess.

Or you could just bite the bullet, and buy H701SFJ001 ? :D

SkyBeam

Thanks for your reply.

Well of course I could simply buy something which cost $100 for something very simple where I can also get RGB LED for half of the price. Moreover it's more fun to do it yourself and something custom.

I also thought about door opener switches. Perhaps connected to some relais activating power for interior light. However I was hoping for less cabling and less intrusive. I also noticed the interior dome light to dim when closing the door. So when I attach my interior light to the same source I will also get the soft dimm before it goes off. Instead of using the door contact I could also run a cable from the dome lights through the A pillar down to the dash. But I am pretty sure the cables must go up from there but I was unable yet to locate them.
As I am running LED dome lights the LED interior lights + LED dome lights won't consume more power than the stock bulbs. So I am not worried about fuses at all.

Perhaps somebody knows on which clamp under the dash the interior light is connected or similar hint.

Ricer77

The dome light will have a feed and a ground and a switched live. This could be any voltage from 0v to 12v. Either way trace your switched wire , use appropriate relay, put 12v acc feed to main contacts of relay and switched wire and ground to auxiliary contacts. Done. Trace wiring schematics if need be.
Will look like a fast and the furious 1 interior in no time!

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
I write here, perhaps my answer will help.
When you open the fuse cover, on the right of the fuse case there are three connectors.
You need the middle connector, the grey one.
The pink is 12v when the door is closed and it turns to 0v with open doors. This wire is the negative of your led wiring.
Take 12v from the fuse box or from you want, it is the positive wire of the led.

Attachments