Knocking noise drivers side suspension

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
Hello i'm having an issue with my 2015 GT-S Levorg. There is a knocking sound coming from the front right suspension when driving only really at low speed either driving straight right/left and now hear over ramps. It seems to me as if the spring itself is not seating properly. I also can replicate the noise by pushing down on the suspension on the front right getting the same knocking noise. I had the top mounts & spacer changed out as mechanic thought it was this. He had it in and out of the car 3 times until the last time the noise went away. Only for it to reappear after a short drive. When i get someone to push down and i put my hand on the spring i feel as if the noise is coming from there. Has anyone else experienced this and what is the fix? Mechanic put on a locking nut as he was not 100% happy with how the other fitted. I have a video of the noise but it won't allow me attach the file here. Thanks for the help in advance.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Hello i'm having an issue with my 2015 GT-S Levorg. There is a knocking sound coming from the front right suspension when driving only really at low speed either driving straight right/left and now hear over ramps. It seems to me as if the spring itself is not seating properly. I also can replicate the noise by pushing down on the suspension on the front right getting the same knocking noise. I had the top mounts & spacer changed out as mechanic thought it was this. He had it in and out of the car 3 times until the last time the noise went away. Only for it to reappear after a short drive. When i get someone to push down and i put my hand on the spring i feel as if the noise is coming from there. Has anyone else experienced this and what is the fix? Mechanic put on a locking nut as he was not 100% happy with how the other fitted. I have a video of the noise but it won't allow me attach the file here. Thanks for the help in advance.
I had this exact issue (as have many others on here), it was my strut and top hat which Subaru replaced under warranty. At first they said it was the shock (lack of adequate oil) so ordered in a new strut, when the strut arrived and they went to change it they discovered the top hat was also faulty, they ordered that in too and replaced them both together.
This did fix the problem, but for how long I couldn't say, because even if it wasn't faulty those Bilsteins are rubbish and not suited to the car, so I lashed out on some MCA Pro Comfort coil-overs, had them fitted soon after and have never looked back. They aren't cheap, but if you want to fall in love with the Vorg all over again they are well worth it, awesome suspension that handles like it should have to begin with, probably better!

I love Subaru but they dropped the ball BIGTIME on that Bilstein crap!!! :mad:

So, if your top hat has been replaced and the spacer isn't causing it, I would lay money it's the shock itself, the cost to replace that with another which will probably do the same thing will get you well on the way to a set of coil-overs.
If the MCA's are too bigger outlay for you, several people on here speak well of the Silvers Neomax coil-overs too, I can't comment on them myself as I went straight for the MCA's, but they are a cheaper option and either would be better than replacing them with more stockies. Good luck with it, keep us all updated on your progress.

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
Hello and thanks for the detailed reply. What i' trying to figure out is what is causing the knock noise that comes from pushing down on the suspension at the top hat. I wish i could upload video here but it won't let me. What is strange is that on the 3rd time reinstalled it was fine for a period. But if it was the shock wouldn't the noise always be there no matter what? This is leading me to think the spring is not seated properly and has come undone somehow causing the knock. If this as you say is a known issue should there not have been a recall? Not sur what suspension options are available here in Ireland.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
The noise can be sporadic, it took me several trips to the dealer for them to be able to replicate the noise. Mine did EXACTLY what you have described. Sometimes pushing on it makes the noise, sometimes not. Sometimes no noise for days, other times heaps. I agree there should have been a recall but Subaru disagreed, what can you do? With all you have described, and since you've already replaced the top hat, (Sway bar links, ball joints and tie rod ends all good?) then I'd say it's the strut. If it was a loose spring you'd hear a WAY worse noise and feel it in the handling too.

Last edited:

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
What i can't figure out is why it is making a clicking noise when pushing down as if something on the makeup is coming in and out of position which has me thinking the spring is not seating properly. The strut itself does not seems to have an extra play and return normally like the one on the left other than no noise coming from that side.. My noise once it's there stays and does not disappear.

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
Sorry maybe I'm not great at describing the noise. I guess it's more a clicking noise. it feels as if something is loose. Less so a knocking noise now that you mention it. Were you able to access the link to see the video?

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Yes I did, it sounds eerily similar to how mine sounded, but yours is way worse. Hard to tell from the photo but the spring looks fine to me. Those Bilsteins are WAY under dampened at the front, hitting not even a large pot hole or slight change in road surface height can make them bottom out, that stuffs the top hat and can damage the rubbers inside the shock, causing the problem you are having now. Other components of the front suspension can make a similar noise, ball joints, bearings, sway bar mounts, tie rod ends etc But they are all easy to see and test, whereas the damage to the strut will be inside the shock and impossible to see. how many K's has she done?
I totally understand the 'feels like something is loose' thought, the first thing I checked when mine started making that noise was the 3 upper strut nuts as I thought it sounded like the whole strut was loose, so I get that. But it was the top hat and the strut that got replaced and all was good again, well...as good as those Bilsteins get anyway lol

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
Thanks for the detailed reply. Car is 2015 with 82000km on the clock. Already spent the money on parts and labour so want to be sure if i go at something else you know? Just trying to figure out why it clicks when pushing down on the car and why there is absolutly no noise at speed only when driving slow.

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
Got this issue resolved yesterday and noise is gone. Mechanic was right that he was not happy with the threads on the strut and the way the centre nut was fixed. He added spacer washer under the centre nut on the top mount and was able to get a proper fit on the strut itself. Problem gone and noise gone.