Second hand purchasing in a country where Levorg is rare

farkash

Vehicle(s)
Non
Hi.
I found a nice example from 2017 (produced in 2016), 40K Km, 1 owner car, looking and driving great.

I've read the last thread with same title. Still I have questions and more concerns.
In my country the Levorg is rare! Probably one of the rarest cars here, I think they sold 30-40 units, So it's causing me for a lot of concerns.
Rare cars can be hard and expensive to maintain.
Other Subaru models are sold in pretty big numbers here (Forester, Outback, XV)

I want to know which parts in the Levorg are "unique"?
Which parts are "unique" and expensive/hard to get?
How hard is to maintain a Levorg compare to other Subaru models?
How hard is to maintain a Levorg when it's very rare car?

Any good points for the poor Levorg? because all the people I've talk with just scares me that it's rare and unique car and it's can get me into troubles.

nicodache

ברוך הבא :)

(hopefully, that's correct :D)

compared to the forester/outback/xv, the engine is unique. so is the bodywork, half the interior.
In my experience, Subaru is not expensive. But "your mileage may vary"

it's not much harder to maintain than other models, just be mindful that you have a turbo, compared to the xv and forester that are usually N/A.

and maintaining a levorg is not much harder than maintain another* 4WD turbo petrol, which means "it's a pain if you wanna do it yourself".

*caveat: flat 4 makes it a pain to replace spark plugs.

farkash

Vehicle(s)
Non
ברוך הבא
Thank you. (It's correct :)).

So Engine, and bodywork are my top concerns?
Engine is reliable? Turbo is reliable?
Turbo is special part of the Levorg or is the same as the one fitted in the forester turbo model for example?
What about diffs? suspensions? CV axles? CVT gearbox? all came from the Subaru warehouse and not special to the Levorg?

There are any known problems? I've read about the steering wheel damage from sun, Very expensive headlight replacement (is it really costs 3000GBP to replace?), and engines with high oil consumption sometimes.

Last edited:

nicodache

so,

my engine drinks no oil after 120.000km. but I did the break in myself, gently, softly, when I was in vacation, so no hurry :)
no turbo issue either.

I cannot confirm what parts are levorg-specifics, and which one are available in other models.

no known problem (to me) mechanically, but for the bilstein which seem to be not tuned properly for the car. they don't fail, just not comfy as you would expect.

my steering wheel is fine, it's the pain from inside the door handle that bubbled and cracked after 2 years during a heatwave.

front lights are indeed damn expensive. There are 2nd hands replacement to be had on ebay etc, but just be careful to take the right model - those seem not to be the same between LHD and RHD. And LHD are indeed more expensive, because rarer. A 2nd LHD headight unit (the whole thing) is ~800€.

Cheers.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Thank you. (It's correct :)).

So Engine, and bodywork are my top concerns?
Engine is reliable? Turbo is reliable?
Turbo is special part of the Levorg or is the same as the one fitted in the forester turbo model for example?
What about diffs? suspensions? CV axles? CVT gearbox? all came from the Subaru warehouse and not special to the Levorg?

There are any known problems? I've read about the steering wheel damage from sun, Very expensive headlight replacement (is it really costs 3000GBP to replace?), and engines with high oil consumption sometimes.
Do you get the WRX there? Engine, turbo, CVT etc are all the same. Front bumper, fender and side-skirts are interchangeable, most of the interior is the same also (just diff colored stitching etc)
As to reliability, unless you do mental mods and don't look after it Subaru's are very reliable. 5 years and 100,000km in mine, nothing but services needed, and like Nico said the suspension ain't great stock.

farkash

Vehicle(s)
Non
No WRX here at all.
CVT is special for the Levorg? I thought all Subaru's has CVT in them.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
No WRX here at all.
CVT is special for the Levorg? I thought all Subaru's has CVT in them.
Correct, all Subarus except the BRZ and the WRX (and STi) are CVT. There are two different CVT's, the Levorg and the WRX share the beefiest one, the other models have the other CVT.

farkash

Vehicle(s)
Non
So engine and gearbox are unique and gearbox is CVT :rolleyes:
No problems with this unique CVT?
You don't want issues with CVT in any car because it's damn expensive, sure you don't want issues with a rare CVT...

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
So engine and gearbox are unique and gearbox is CVT :rolleyes:
No problems with this unique CVT?
You don't want issues with CVT in any car because it's damn expensive, sure you don't want issues with a rare CVT...
Levorg Engine is called FA20, WRX also has FA20, Forrester has FA20 too, so no, not unique to Levorg. There are 2 CVT's, the WRX and 2LTR Levorgs have the better one (higher torque capacity). Mine is also a 2016 built MY17, the only time I would recommend NOT buying one, is if you want to heavily modify the engine, not because of the engine, the FA20 is good, but the CVT is only rated to 400-450Nm of torque.

Nasim

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT 2016
Hi.
I found a nice example from 2017 (produced in 2016), 40K Km, 1 owner car, looking and driving great.

I've read the last thread with same title. Still I have questions and more concerns.
In my country the Levorg is rare! Probably one of the rarest cars here, I think they sold 30-40 units, So it's causing me for a lot of concerns.
Rare cars can be hard and expensive to maintain.
Other Subaru models are sold in pretty big numbers here (Forester, Outback, XV)

I want to know which parts in the Levorg are "unique"?
Which parts are "unique" and expensive/hard to get?
How hard is to maintain a Levorg compare to other Subaru models?
How hard is to maintain a Levorg when it's very rare car?

Any good points for the poor Levorg? because all the people I've talk with just scares me that it's rare and unique car and it's can get me into troubles.
Hi ,

don't need to worry ,
just purchased a levorg 4 month ago , no issues yet
the car is rare in israel but as checked in several dealer workshops there is no problem with parts

i aslo have the quote from subaru for 30'000 KM maintainence , it's not cheap , but not too much

you can call me if you need more info .