What is the Incentive for Subaru of America?

chanomatik

General discussion in an attempt to convince SOA why the Levorg needs to be sold here.

I'll just add my one thought that I've shared prior on NASIOC that just touches on one technical aspect. The Levorg, if offered in both CVT and 6-speed manual transmissions would essentially answer all cries for the following vehicles not currently sold in the U.S. or Worldwide, but were once sold by Subaru at some point in time:

Outback (manual)
Outback XT (CVT or manual)
Legacy Wagon (CVT or manual)
Legacy Wagon GT (CVT or manual)
Forester XT (manual)
WRX hatch (CVT or manual)
WRX wagon (CT or manual)
STI hatch (CVT or manual)
STI wagon (CVT or manual)

I count a total of 16 different vehicles that could all be rolled into what the Levorg could offer as one vehicle with two transmission options. Since the Crosstrek outsells the entire Impreza line, I'd also chime in that the Impreza should be sedan-only and the hatchback (including Sport trim) should be discontinued. The hatchback Impreza variant should then be absorbed into the Levorg, though offered as the lowliest trim. If the Crosstrek didn't exist, then I'd say keep those other Impreza models, of course. Without the Impreza hatch (manual or CVT) and the Sport (manual or CVT), our new total is now 20 vehicles that the Levorg could potentially satisfy.

genrex

Yeah good points. Definitely something I would bring up in an email to SOA. Also there are ZERO options out there for those of us that want a wagon, at least in the sub $40k range. All are European manufactures that don't offer even close to the same reliability. I truly believe Subaru has a big opportunity here as fuel prices rise. If people are looking for something more fuel efficient than a CUV, then a wagon is the next option. 1.6DIT is supposedly high 30s, close to 40mpg. 2.0DIT high 20s, close to 30, but you can cater to the enthusiast there. I believe this car would be a success for a long time to come. Seriously though, how many Loyale and Legacy wagons do you STILL SEE out there. Half dozen or more per day for me.

Phoenix

The Levorg is the simplest answer for us supporters, while it's an obvious omission for people who either don't care, or don't care for wagons (SOA and company being included in that group).

It's frustrating that this is an uphill climb, being the only evidence that non-raised Subaru wagons (Legacy) don't sell well in America came during a time when the Outback was being offered with essentially the same packages, trims, and drivetrain options, and produced in greater numbers so people could actually make choices at the dealership. Add to that a WRX wagon and Forester XT were also choices during this time, vying for essentially the same buyer in similar price points, only compounds the notion the Legacy wagon and GT wagon just came up short as a viable product. Do we even have evidence of actual sales numbers between the Legacy GT wagon, Forester XT, and WRX wagon?

If we grant the Outback XT and Outback 3.0R wagon as being the top performance wagon seller back in 2007, who was second, third, or fourth? Should we assume the Legacy was dead last because that's the model that got axed? Should we assume the Legacy GT wagon was produced in fewer numbers than the others, not giving it an honest showing on showroom floors?

The fact that we question these things, only shows our distrust of SOA. And that distrust is primarily what fuels this conversation. So now there is this Levorg sitting out there looking for buyers, and here we sit on the sideline being told the US market is the primary market for the WRX platform. Then we are told by non-wagon supporters that Americans just don't buy wagons, and their primary evidence is based off of 8 year old incomplete stats (nobody has produced a single sheet showing sales numbers of individual trims) and Subaru's ultimate decision to scrap the Legacy GT wagon...so NO LEVORG, DUH.

Chan has painted the hole, now SOA should find a suitable product to fill it.

Coati

I didn't jump on the Legacy GT at the time because it was a bunch of half-measures where I would have instantly plunked money down for a Legacy (tuned by) STI:
The seats were worse than my '02 WRX wagon, the mileage was worse than my WRX, the suspension was no great leap forward, it didn't have HIDs, no DCCD 6MT, my WRX was already paid off, etc.

In short, I was waiting for them to improve it. Instead, they cancelled it.

doug

how about a limited run similar to what volvo is doing?

My guess is that the recently announced WRX S4 for the japan market is basically the levorg's engine and electronics with eyesight 3 in a WRX. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1093508_subaru-announces-new-wrx-s4-sedan-for-japanese-launch-august-25

This tells me that the WRX and the levorg share production lines in Japan. If they can produce WRX's for the american market in that production line then all they have to do is put the american wrx dash and internals in a levorg and we're set.

Here's volvo's Polestar (almost sold out):
http://wot.motortrend.com/1408_2015_volvo_s60_v60_polestar_priced_almost_sold_out_in_u_s.html

I'm willing to buy a fully loaded white or blue levorg with a CVT, navigation, upgraded sound system and eyesight 3for $38k. sign me up for that limited run!!!