Access key battery low warning despite replacing battery twice

clive_p

Vehicle(s)
Levorg
Sometimes when I stop the engine, but not always, the system chimes and puts a warning on the display "Access key battery low". When I first saw this I changed the key battery to a brand new one, then a second new one of a different brand (and checked its voltage, it's fine). But these warnings continue.

The key works fine and allows me to press the button to unlock/lock the doors at a range of maybe 30 metres without difficulty, so I have my doubts as to whether the battery is really low. But I still worry about getting stranded if the battery really conks out when I'm away from home. Has anyone else had this problem?

lohr500

Vehicle(s)
MY20 2.0 Levorg
Not sure which model of Levorg you have, or which country you live in. But with my 2020 2 litre UK spec Levorg, I have the option to set a 5 digit access code which can be tapped in using the lock button on the tailgate. This unlocks the driver's door once the correct code has been entered.

Also my UK spec. Levorg has a conventional key housed in the keyfob. This can be used to open the driver's door. Once opened, the car can then be started even if the keyfob has a flat battery. The keyfob is placed close to the stop/start button and passively communicates with the system, regardless of the battery condition in the keyfob.

clive_p

Vehicle(s)
Levorg
Thanks - I'm also in the UK with a 2 litre model (I didn't know there was any other). I was aware of the 5 digit code using the button on the tailgate and have set this up and tried it. What I wasn't sure about was the ability to start the car with a dead battery in the keyfob, I guess it's also got RFID technology. That's good to know. I'm still getting the battery low warnings but not every time, and I think I'll just ignore them.

lohr500

Vehicle(s)
MY20 2.0 Levorg
There was an earlier 1.6 turbo model in the UK which was replaced by the lesser powered 2 litre normally aspirated version :(
I got the "Access key battery low" warning a few weeks ago and replaced the CR2032 battery with an Energizer one. Touch wood it has been OK since with no further warning messages.

Yes, I believe the fob has got RFID capability and it is that which communicates with the vehicle to disable the immobiliser. I think there are some instructions in the handbook about placing the fob in close proximity to the start/stop button if the fob battery is flat. Cant check the handbook just now as my wife has gone shopping in the car.

UK Levorg owners seem to be quite a rare breed. I have to say, I am very happy with mine. Mostly short journeys around rural areas close to home, but in the last couple of months, I've done three longer 500 mile+ round trips on the motorway network and the Levorg was a pleasure to drive long distance.

DavorS

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg (possibly)
Just picking up on this previous thread.

I've got a UK 2015 1.6 Levorg, love the car but in the past couple of weeks it has developed a fault where the key unlocks the doors fine, but on pressing the ignition the car fails to start (doesn't even attempt to start). I've replaced the keyfob battery (for what it's worth), but still no joy.
The brake pedal remains really firm too when it doesn't start.

Appears to be an intermittent issue, as works 80% of the time with no issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

DavorS

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg (possibly)
Hi

No warning lights on dash.

Got 2 keys, same issue with either and I've replaced battery on both, just weird.

The manual does talk about this scenario but is very vague. Says if brake pedal very stiff, just press down harder until green light appears on starter button. I need to try that next time to see if works.

Either way it is very strange.

clive_p

Vehicle(s)
Levorg
Have you checked the voltage on the car battery - should be a bit above 12 volts if it is in good condition? I think there is supposed to be a low battery warning on the dash but I didn't get one when my battery needed replacement some months ago.

DavorS

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg (possibly)
Thanks - the car battery i sonly about 1 year old so I think that's all good.

Further update - issue occurred again today, found if I really pressed down on the brake pedal the car started fine. Now thinking it may be a brake issue. Feels like the car (by presenting a rock hard brake pedal on startup) is trying to tell me the brakes need checking/adjustment?

I'm getting a bit of vibration when hard braking from speed, will get it booked in for a brake check...