Good shock absorber or coilover recommendations for UK 2016 Levorg?

levorgy888

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6
Am looking to replace the stock shocks of my UK Levorg VM4 this year, and wondered what would be a good repleacement? Are the stock shocks similar to Bilstein B4's?

Naturally the Levorgs dampening isnt too comfy on poorly laid concrete roads.

The slightest of imperfections in the road cause excessive bouncing and sway, are there any shocks (Bilstein's maybe) which would make my cars ride more stable and comfortable (I have seen that a full set are priced circa £800)?.

Previously in my volvo s60 I had no suspension issues after 95000 miles of driving, but in the Levorg I have to be way more vigilant of potholes especially when driving in I mode (not S)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
I agree that the stock suspension has its issues. The Bilsteins are even worse, according to reports from Australia and NZ. Their go-to solution is locally sourced MCA coilers, sadly not available here, and costly to import. I'm investigating alternatives myself. Best would probably be Ohlins DFV for VA Impreza, but with softer spring rates. Would be very expensive though.

levorgy888

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6
I agree that the stock suspension has its issues. The Bilsteins are even worse, according to reports from Australia and NZ. Their go-to solution is locally sourced MCA coilers, sadly not available here, and costly to import. I'm investigating alternatives myself. Best would probably be Ohlins DFV for VA Impreza, but with softer spring rates. Would be very expensive though.

Ah yes Ive seen on previous article about the MCAs. Probably very pricey to import MCAs and then declare to insurance. Do you know if offroad shocks for Forrester would fit on a Levorg?? Kinda wish I went for the outback or XV as the Levorg is bit delicate.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Forester suspension won't fit, different platform. I've had a few Outbacks and Foresters, I don't find the Levorg delicate at all. The suspension on my '17 is fine 75% of the time, it's just certain circumstances upset it. It's been very good on trips to Spain, Germany and Denmark, but it needs stiffer springs and more damping for UK roads.

It would probably cost around £2000 to import a set of MCAs to the UK. Still cheaper than Ohlins. Some people have fitted the WRX STI (2015 on) setup, but it's a bit harsh for a touring car like the Levorg.

Last edited:

levorgy888

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6
In the UK I would go with Tein flex Z.
Torque GT do sales frequently and have them at £750 vs other companies at £999.
I plan to get them at the next sale.
If one was to put on Tein Flex Zs, would they then need to calibrate the hawekeye system? Is it as simple as just putting new suspension and shocks?

Cheers

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Heads up: Tein Flex Z for Levorg 15% off at Torque-GT this week, = £765. Good value, if they're better than stock.

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Heads up: Tein Flex Z for Levorg 15% off at Torque-GT this week, = £765. Good value, if they're better than stock.
Personally I think they are the best street priced coil overs.
I will get them one day.

nicodache

765 is for the set of 4 ? I need to talk with my dealer - I know I need to have some CE or TUV ones, with a certificate of installation by a garage or something, so I can drive when them in belgium.

my car is 155kkm, so new shocks isn't a stupid idea anyway. If I can do without the crashy front and jumpy rear (on speed bumps) for just a couple extra €, I'd likely do it :D

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Yes £765 for the set of 4. Some Teins are TUV approved, but not all. Not sure about Levorg ones. Other options for the 'vorg include BC Racing, and German made KW. More expensive though.

levorgy888

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6
Think I will just ask dealership to put new set on with new springs, its getting quite unbearable now having to dodge road surface imperfections and potholes each day.

Scubby Skid

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg GT
I have a 2017 1.6 GT and found the suspension quite unsettling at times to the point a bump mid corner could through you off line because of the bounce.
I have just fitted Tein Enduro Pro shock absorbers which are a direct replacement for standard but eliminate the inherent problems.
My god what a difference the car rides a little bit firmer, the built in hydraulic bump stops prevent that thump when hitting bad bumps. The car just feels more alive and gives you confidence to crack on.
In a word I reckon they are brilliant.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
I have a 2017 1.6 GT and found the suspension quite unsettling at times to the point a bump mid corner could through you off line because of the bounce.
I have just fitted Tein Enduro Pro shock absorbers which are a direct replacement for standard but eliminate the inherent problems.
My god what a difference the car rides a little bit firmer, the built in hydraulic bump stops prevent that thump when hitting bad bumps. The car just feels more alive and gives you confidence to crack on.
In a word I reckon they are brilliant.
Not seen these before, looks like a good alternative to coilovers. Thanks! In the UK, I see that Tegiwa are doing them for £516 for the set.

Last edited:

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Not seen these before, looks like a good alternative to coilovers. Thanks! In the UK, I see that Tegiwa are doing them for £516 for the set.
Contact torque gt. See if they would price match.