Head Unit swap in JDM Levorg 2.0GT STi - Steering wheel control issue

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
BMW R1200S, Abarth 595C, Subaru Outback 3.0Rn & Subaru Levorg GT STi
Hello,

So yesterday I bit the bullet and swapped out the Subaru Upgraded Japanese Pioneer head unit as fitted from the factory in Japan.

I elected to go for a Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB which seems to have fitted well with everything working except the steering wheel controls. My fitter has recommended a company called Connects2 who provide solutions to this type of issue. We think it needs the cable set CTSSU001.2. Should arrived after Xmas and we will fit it and see what happens.

My question is has anybody done this type swap and had to purchase a steering wheel control adaptor and if so which one? Various companies including Connects2 don’t list a specific kit so we have gone with the pictures on the websites.

Long shot I know but hopefully someone can help?

The units is brilliant though and has vastly improved what is already a great JDM car!!

Best regards,

David :)

Baz

Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB
My question is has anybody done this type swap and had to purchase a steering wheel control adaptor and if so which one?
I have done this type of swap. AVH-Z9200DAB head unit to MY17 Levorg 1.6 DIT GT. I bought steering control (42ssu004) and multilead adapter (42ctmultilead). Here photos of parts I used. (That facia in pictures did not work with AVH-Z9200 but luckily I had another from different manufacturer when I did this swap.) Mentioned adapters are manufactured by ACV: https://shop.acvgmbh.de/en/

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

You have JDM car but hopefully this helps.

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
Hello,

Many thanks for that. From what you have posted I think I am on the right lines. Time will tell!

Thanks again & best regards,

Reactions: Baz

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Did you get the steering wheel buttons working? It sounds silly, but did they work before the swap

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
Did you get the steering wheel buttons working? It sounds silly, but did they work before the swap
Not really…

The Subaru Japan optional Pioneer worked fine with the steering wheel controls but it was in Japanese. Changed the unit to an English speaking Pioneer but none of the steering wheel controls worked. We have tried various kits from Connects2 which are made for Subaru cars but none give all the functions. Current one I am using is for a Subaru XV which gives me volume up and down but not with the +/- buttons! Also can scroll through the preset stations and also mute. The phone buttons don't work.

Oddly before fitting the Connects2 kit I plugged in an old Sony remote and it actually worked….

Connects2 have been very helpful but admit that they dont actually list one so presumably the low volume of the Levorg means they have not tried and developed one?

I’m not giving up but need to find someone who could possibly repin the connects2 interface if such a person exists!

I am also thinking that anyone who imports an STi and changes the head unit to a Pioneer will face this. Maybe I should have bought a different manufacturer head unit??

Best regards,

David

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Not really…

The Subaru Japan optional Pioneer worked fine with the steering wheel controls but it was in Japanese. Changed the unit to an English speaking Pioneer but none of the steering wheel controls worked. We have tried various kits from Connects2 which are made for Subaru cars but none give all the functions. Current one I am using is for a Subaru XV which gives me volume up and down but not with the +/- buttons! Also can scroll through the preset stations and also mute. The phone buttons don't work.

Oddly before fitting the Connects2 kit I plugged in an old Sony remote and it actually worked….

Connects2 have been very helpful but admit that they dont actually list one so presumably the low volume of the Levorg means they have not tried and developed one?

I’m not giving up but need to find someone who could possibly repin the connects2 interface if such a person exists!

I am also thinking that anyone who imports an STi and changes the head unit to a Pioneer will face this. Maybe I should have bought a different manufacturer head unit??

Best regards,

David
I've been considering the idoing unit - a Chinese knock off. Many in the subaru scene seem able to fit these without any issues.
Iirc on the forester page, a guy installed a reducer to lower the volts from 12v to 6v to get all features working.

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
I've been considering the idoing unit - a Chinese knock off. Many in the subaru scene seem able to fit these without any issues.
Iirc on the forester page, a guy installed a reducer to lower the volts from 12v to 6v to get all features working.
I might pull the Pioneer and go down the Idoing route as from what I have read it might be proper plug and play - Any ideas which one would be best?

Thanks & best regards,

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
I might pull the Pioneer and go down the Idoing route as from what I have read it might be proper plug and play - Any ideas which one would be best?

Thanks & best regards,

If you contact idoing and show them your current screen and heating controls, they will show you what one will work best for you.

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
If you contact idoing and show them your current screen and heating controls, they will show you what one will work best for you.
Sounds like a plan - email with details sent.

Lets see what they say?

Best regards,

rnvb

Have you tried this? I found it on the Pioneer site, it details how you can manually set the steering wheel controls.

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
Have you tried this? I found it on the Pioneer site, it details how you can manually set the steering wheel controls.

Yes seen that thanks. Alas my Pioneer head unit does not have this option in the options or settings menu and Pioneer have said they dont use this method on EU units like mine so the option is not there… Make of that what you will/

Best regards,

Last edited: