Hello from Taiwan.....sorta.

cakezxc

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 2.0 GTS, about 10 BP Legacys
Maybe a few old timers would recognise my username from the UK Legacy forums. Yep. Im the resident Gen 4 Legacy breaker on there.

Long story short, Im originally from Taiwan and have been living in the UK for the past decade or so, but some personal circumstances happened and a promotion/transfer at my day job later, Im now back in Taiwan for good and left without a Subaru for the first time in years. Well, less without a subaru and more without a car under my own name lol.

It came down to a few options. Gen 4 has and always be my most beloved car model ever, but you cant drive a turbo model on Taiwanese roads legally. Youd have to either turbo convert one (illegal but passes MOT nonetheless because MOTers are idiots), or do a LHD conversion on an import and use a local 2.0i's reg on it (very illegal). Both options will cost around GBP 20k ish. Also prices for a gen 4 2.0i wagon starts at a cool 5k GBP over here and I was paying like 4k for a JDM spec B in the UK so that was kinda a kick in the nuts. So Gen 4 was out.

Gen 5 was a bit better. We have 2.5 GTs widely available. Good engine and very spacious interior. Buuuuuuuut it's exterior was.....um.....not to my taste. So Gen 5 is out.

And then theres the Levorg 2.0 GTS. Locally available, veeeeeeery modern, Eyesight, DIT engine with great MPG for what it is, fully compatible with 2015+ WRX parts.

I was sold. And the rest was history.

Say hello to my new car.
DSC_0945.JPG

Last edited:

cakezxc

Vehicle(s)
Somebody's got an aftermarket exhaust :cool:
the cars running full stage 2.5 mods and is begging for a bigger turbo to use them all aha. Underbody has a lotta mods done too. Them exhausts is just giving it away :p

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Welcome
Glad you were able to back into a Subie
How about a list of your mods when you have time ;)

cakezxc

Vehicle(s)
Welcome
Glad you were able to back into a Subie
How about a list of your mods when you have time ;)
Here goes

MST Performance Shrouded CAI
KTR Racing (pretty famous local tuning shop) Turbo Intake and Charge pipe
Blitz Type VD Universal BOV
Vital (Taiwanese made) full alu stock replacement TMIC
IAG Air Oil Separator
Kate Cool (Another taiwanese made) FA20DIT specific thermostatic oil cooler kit
Grimm Speed Pierburg 3 port BCS
EGR and SAP deleted
KTR Racing 3" SS304 J pipe
ARK Design (Supposedly a japanese knockoff of ARK Performance, but I suspect its actually Taiwanese) 3" Catback for VA STI (sounds surpringly good and quiet when it should be)
Blitz Damper ZZ Pillowball + DSC Four electronic damper adjuster
Hardrace lower rear control arm and camber adjustment kit
unnamed Taiwanese made carbon+nappa leather steering wheel
Lenovo octa-core android car kit+360 surround camera system
3D Kagu (Taiwanese design) moulded Levorg floor mats (really, really decent stuff. Costs about GBP 100 a set).

Some photos of said mods
DSC_0949.JPGDSC_0902.JPG

This was the interior before the owner cleared it out. Its very......Taiwanese. Pendants and loads of halfrauds junks are way too common over here. Also did have Snow Performance Meth system installed but it wasnt mapped for and I didnt see a need in it so I told him to pull it and reduce the price of the car.

Heres the car before the expensive stuff got pulled. Owner wanted an extra 7k GBP for them but A. I couldnt afford them, and B. I didnt like them at all lol. Them STI RA 6 pot 355mm brakes are pure madness tho.

DSC_0897.JPG

Last edited:

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Wow that's had heaps done to it. What power and torque is it putting out now if you know?

cakezxc

Vehicle(s)
Wow that's had heaps done to it. What power and torque is it putting out now if you know?
received_1006023143582259.jpeg

Dynomite dyno though. Seems a bit optimistic to me tbh. Dont think the tiny OE turbo can push 210.4atw. Also the CVT throttle tune is complete and utter trash. Will get it redone and do my own cruise fueling/timing adjustments to make it a little bit more friendly on the wallet. Currently averaging around 12.7km/l or 36ish british mpg cruising at 120kmh. Ive tuned 3.0Rs to do that in the past aint no way a 2.0 DIT cant do better.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Hmmm, that's a bit confusing, sounds like it hasn't been tuned at all to me, 268hp at the crank is stock, you usually lose between 17 and 20% to get to the wheels. It varies for all cars and trans, but 210 to 220hp atw sounds about right for the stock 2Ltr, with all those mods and a tune you'd be making heaps more than that, and fuel economy your right, should be heaps better than over 12. For your electric damper adjustments on your coilovers, are they protruding above the floor are they? Or is it a side mount design I haven't seen? I wanted to get those on my coilovers but the adjustment wheel only just clears the floor panels, so no way to put anything on top of the strut without cutting the floor panels and having them stick up into the cargo area. Would be interesting to see your rear setup. Love the STi front fenders btw, looks very sweet ;)

cakezxc

Vehicle(s)
Hmmm, that's a bit confusing, sounds like it hasn't been tuned at all to me, 268hp at the crank is stock, you usually lose between 17 and 20% to get to the wheels. It varies for all cars and trans, but 210 to 220hp atw sounds about right for the stock 2Ltr, with all those mods and a tune you'd be making heaps more than that, and fuel economy your right, should be heaps better than over 12. For your electric damper adjustments on your coilovers, are they protruding above the floor are they? Or is it a side mount design I haven't seen? I wanted to get those on my coilovers but the adjustment wheel only just clears the floor panels, so no way to put anything on top of the strut without cutting the floor panels and having them stick up into the cargo area. Would be interesting to see your rear setup. Love the STi front fenders btw, looks very sweet ;)
nah 17-20 is way too optimistic. even dccd 6 speeds loses around 20-22% at the wheels. 5EAT was calculated to be around 27% on average across a few different dynos. Id bet CVT loses even more maybe close to 30%.

Also spoke to my tuner (XRT barbados) the other day and hes saying 210atw is already a very very good stage 2 figure and he doesnt believe this chart at all (too high). Will have to log a few for him and see whats what. Tuners in taiwan are a massive joke barring a couple exceptions.

Also yeh they protrude into the boot cabin which im not a fan of to say the least. Also might need to move on to bags as we have one of those mechanical parking lots at home with a very short yet steel metal slope that i'll definitely not clear if i was to add any sort of lips to the car in the future lol.

JMClavorg

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Lavorg GT , Subaru Impreza WRX STI PPP
Awesome work on that car pal

SmilyDrJ

Vehicle(s)
2016 Levorg GT
Maybe a few old timers would recognise my username from the UK Legacy forums. Yep. Im the resident Gen 4 Legacy breaker on there.

Long story short, Im originally from Taiwan and have been living in the UK for the past decade or so, but some personal circumstances happened and a promotion/transfer at my day job later, Im now back in Taiwan for good and left without a Subaru for the first time in years. Well, less without a subaru and more without a car under my own name lol.

It came down to a few options. Gen 4 has and always be my most beloved car model ever, but you cant drive a turbo model on Taiwanese roads legally. Youd have to either turbo convert one (illegal but passes MOT nonetheless because MOTers are idiots), or do a LHD conversion on an import and use a local 2.0i's reg on it (very illegal). Both options will cost around GBP 20k ish. Also prices for a gen 4 2.0i wagon starts at a cool 5k GBP over here and I was paying like 4k for a JDM spec B in the UK so that was kinda a kick in the nuts. So Gen 4 was out.

Gen 5 was a bit better. We have 2.5 GTs widely available. Good engine and very spacious interior. Buuuuuuuut it's exterior was.....um.....not to my taste. So Gen 5 is out.

And then theres the Levorg 2.0 GTS. Locally available, veeeeeeery modern, Eyesight, DIT engine with great MPG for what it is, fully compatible with 2015+ WRX parts.

I was sold. And the rest was history.

Say hello to my new car.
View attachment 1163
Wow a very detailed explanation. Thanks! I am in UK (Manchester) but also originally from Taiwan. I used to drive a 2007 Impreza sport wagon (still alive but need a lot of cosmetic work of which my hubby is working on it, she was sadly criminally damaged due to racial discrimination at the end of 2020, hubby won’t let go of it, he said you can’t let go of a Subaru if it is still driving, he is so right, now I know!). I briefly owned a Toyota as desperately need a car, drove a Toyota from Dec 2020 to July 2021, the moment I saw my Levorg, did not hesitate to part exchange, drove 180 miles to the dealer place. I don’t think I will ever drive a car that’s not Subaru, and the Levorg is my first turbo car, again don’t think will be able to go back to non turbo!

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Wow a very detailed explanation. Thanks! I am in UK (Manchester) but also originally from Taiwan. I used to drive a 2007 Impreza sport wagon (still alive but need a lot of cosmetic work of which my hubby is working on it, she was sadly criminally damaged due to racial discrimination at the end of 2020, hubby won’t let go of it, he said you can’t let go of a Subaru if it is still driving, he is so right, now I know!). I briefly owned a Toyota as desperately need a car, drove a Toyota from Dec 2020 to July 2021, the moment I saw my Levorg, did not hesitate to part exchange, drove 180 miles to the dealer place. I don’t think I will ever drive a car that’s not Subaru, and the Levorg is my first turbo car, again don’t think will be able to go back to non turbo!
Sorry to hear what happened to the ole gal, and the reason ;(
And I agree with you, the first time you drive a Subie is the last time you wanna drive anything else!!
Here’s to much enjoyment and better luck with your new baby

twlevorg

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 2.0
Cakezxc - any chance you're still in Taiwan? I'm here and looking for some recommendations on where to get some work done on my levorg.