Rear dashcam easy wiring method.

lohr500

Vehicle(s)
MY20 2.0 Levorg
If anyone is thinking about fitting a rear dashcam and is wondering about how to easily get an ignition switched power supply to the camera, here's a tip.

On my 2020 model, I pulled off the plastic trim piece at the top of the tailgate on the inside. It has the rear view mirror camera mounted behind it.
With the trim panel removed you can see the main wiring loom running from the top of the tailgate down the right hand side of the tailgate frame down to the lower tailgate.

If you carefully cut and strip back the wound insulation on the loom you can expose the bundle of wires inside the loom.

The solid green wire provides an ignition switched permanent live feed to the rear wiper (It will be this feed that provides power for the wiper self park feature).

I used a small 12v to micro USB power supply and tapped into the green wire to pick up the 12v +. I connected the ground side of the power supply to the tailgate using one of the two screws that hold the rear mirror safety camera in place.

The power supply is small enough to tuck into the tailgate frame with some foam cushioning wrapped around it to stop it rattling.

The trim panel can then be clipped back in place, leaving just enough of the USB power lead protruding to connect to the dash cam.

I positioned the dashcam next to the rear view camera.

No ill effects so far and it makes for a very tidy installation.

As always, if you try this mod then I take no responsibility for any consequences that may occur. But I thought I would share my tip with the group as it may save someone a lot of time and effort.

I also fitted a front dash cam. This was also straight forward. To get a 12v feed for the power supply, I used a piggy back fuse adaptor on a 7.5amp switched live fuse on the fuse panel below the driver's wheel.
Ran the cable up behind the A frame pillar trim and along the top of the windscreen underneath the roof headlining.
There was enough give in the panel housing the "eyesight" cameras to tuck the cable away and route it to the left hand side of the rear view mirror (RHD vehicle)

I use Blueskysea B1W cameras which are very small with no built in screen. They are accessed via wifi and an App on my phone). I was able to position the forward facing dashcam between the left hand "eyesight" camera and the plastic moulding housing the auto dip headlight sensor camera, without obscuring either of the vehicle cameras. When sat in the driver's seat the dashcam is barely visible.

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Any pics of the boot wiring / link to usb power supply.

lohr500

Vehicle(s)
MY20 2.0 Levorg
Sorry, I didn't take any photos when I did the installation, but if you carefully remove the plastic trim section that runs across the top of the tailgate you will see the loom I describe above and the space in the frame where the power supply can be tucked in. My Levorg is a 2020 model 2.0 UK spec vehicle. The trim may be different in other versions, but I suspect not.

Try searching on eBay for 12v dashcam supply to find the power units. eBay item number 353107681608 is the sort of thing needed. You just need to make sure you order one with the correct style of USB plug to suit your dashcam.

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
I just had a thought. I used to take power from the reverse light bulb. Would this not be simpler?

lohr500

Vehicle(s)
MY20 2.0 Levorg
Wont the reverse light only get power when you select reverse?
And connecting a feed to a lighting circuit could cause problems with the bulb failure sensing system (if our Levorg's have such a thing!!)

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Wont the reverse light only get power when you select reverse?
And connecting a feed to a lighting circuit could cause problems with the bulb failure sensing system (if our Levorg's have such a thing!!)
Maybe a newer car may flag up a voltage difference but on older cars I tapped into the 12v before the bulb in the boot area.

I found out today I already have a camera ☺ so don't need to worry . Wonder if its stock or aftermarket 20221108_163756.jpg

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
The 2018 also has a camera in the back window at the top. This display comes up in the rear vision mirror
This is amazing. Only had the car a week and just found how to turn the rear camera on.
Hopefully when I change head unit it'll be plug and play.