1.6 DIT versus 2.0 DIT

moojy

Being stuck with only 1.6L units in the UK and seriously considering importing a 2.0L from Australia or Japan, was wondering if anyone out there had driven both and could comment on whether there is a huge difference to the responsiveness.
I would expect so of course, but it isnt the raw bhp I am after as much as more torque and less lag on the CVT. It takes a full 1 sec for anything to happen on a 1.6 if you floor it, whether S mode or not. It just seems to sit there waiting for tomorrow. Fear for my life pulling out of some junctions. And overtaking involves thumping the steering paddles to the lowest gear I can find and a lot of engine screaming. (And passenger screaming <wink>)

Anyone any thoughts on just how much better the 2.0 fixes all this?
Before I go through all the grief of importing one here!

iad

Anyone any thoughts on just how much better the 2.0 fixes all this?
Before I go through all the grief of importing one here!
I have not driven a 1.6, but the turbo lag you describe exists on the 2.0GTS as well, unless you drive around in the Sports # mode. Both I drive and S drive modes - the lag is annoying, but using the paddle shifts helps a bit. Unless I am on the highway I use Sports # all the time.

Test drive a WRX CVT before you go through all the drama of importing to wherever. If you do go down the import route - get one from Japan, not Australia - the 2.00 versions there have 300bhp (about 221KW). The Australian versions have 268bhp. I have put a different downpipe on mine plus a performance tune & mine is now probably equivalent to 325bhp.

Good luck.

manumissio

You could also try for example the tuning box of TDI-tuning on de 1.6. It eliminates the one-thinking-second and howling through the "gears" of the CVT. At accelaration its taking up speed quickly and stays in the right torque area (like a CVT is considering to do).

moojy

Thanks for the info guys.
Sounds like the S# is what I would need when driving "actively" - agreed I dont need it all the time - only when pulling out or overtaking or just enjoying a "back road blast".

Shame I can't try the WRX CVT since they dont have turbo versions of them in the UK. The Levorg is the only option for a turbo CVT.

I already have the TDI-tuning got it as soon as I got the car - doesnt help with the 1 sec sleepiness at all and the gear decisions are still awful.

The CVT simply cannot know what is coming up ahead - would be better if the Eyesight stopped worrying about prams and babies jay-walking across the road and could see what I see! i.e. we are coming out of that bend I need torque and power now - come on Eyesight, prepare to drop gear. Like all autos it is clueless - by definition it only knows the last thing that happened it is always living in the past. But that would still be OK, if it didnt take 1 second to change gear - I mean I pushed the peddle down hard - surely the only thing that can mean is "change gear and throttle now - power needed immediately". But it thinks about it for a second then does something. How else do you actually instruct the thing I only have one pedal available. Flappy paddles dont work much faster - they dont change when you press them - its a kind of "polite request, go ahead and do it when you feel like it" feeling. A half second is a long long time when changing a series of gears. (Have to change linearly in an auto, whereas I could jump and thump in the manual)
I dont know if this is an inherent limitation of a CVT - but I dont feel it is so - as sometimes it does feel like it is changing gears quickly and smoothly.
I "think" perhaps - if you change gears up linearly and continuously (pardon the pun) a CVT manages well. If you make sudden changes from high gear to lower in order to get power and revs up it panics and does nothing much. Even the paddles are sluggish in that respect.

moojy

I was originally thinking of importing from Australia just because of the language thing but was informed that the JDM's can be set to English easily enough.
Was wondering what else is different between the Aussie STI and the JDM one?
Is there anything you get in Australia they don't get in Japan? (strange though that sounds). Is the STI Australia the same as the JDM except for the detune?

I was hoping to get the advantages of:
Bilstein suspension.
STI sway bars.
"Revised steering", whatever that means (as the UK spec ones have got little feedback and are a bit heavy on cornering).
Larger centre display with side camera as well as front view camera. (we only get rear camera in UK)
Rear view smart mirror.
40:20:40 split rear seats (UK has useless 40:60).
Smart turning headlamps.
A sunroof (without reducing roofbar max load) would be nice but wouldnt sacrifice carry ability for it.

I will need to:
Get miles recalibration instead of kilometres.
Perhaps a fuel calibration I dunno.
A new head unit - hopefully the antenna shark fin is suitable for EU DAB radio else that will need changed too.
And I would probably have a chat with the guys at TDI-tuning and see if they can do a new map for mine for the 2.0L :)

Kash

I was originally thinking of importing from Australia just because of the language thing but was informed that the JDM's can be set to English easily enough.
Was wondering what else is different between the Aussie STI and the JDM one?
Is there anything you get in Australia they don't get in Japan? (strange though that sounds). Is the STI Australia the same as the JDM except for the detune?

I was hoping to get the advantages of:
Bilstein suspension.
STI sway bars.
"Revised steering", whatever that means (as the UK spec ones have got little feedback and are a bit heavy on cornering).
Larger centre display with side camera as well as front view camera. (we only get rear camera in UK)
Rear view smart mirror.
40:20:40 split rear seats (UK has useless 40:60).
Smart turning headlamps.
A sunroof (without reducing roofbar max load) would be nice but wouldnt sacrifice carry ability for it.

I will need to:
Get miles recalibration instead of kilometres.
Perhaps a fuel calibration I dunno.
A new head unit - hopefully the antenna shark fin is suitable for EU DAB radio else that will need changed too.
And I would probably have a chat with the guys at TDI-tuning and see if they can do a new map for mine for the 2.0L :)
Did you get anywhere with this kind of thought moojy?

moojy

Yes been in touch with someone who did it here. Will post it up here sometime.

moojy

The questions and reply I got from someone who imported a JDM Levorg STI to the UK recently, Kash. I was trying to find out if it might address some of my personal frustrations about the Levorg:

---> start copy/paste <---

I'll try and answer your questions but some I won't know.

I think the AU version is detuned from memory. JDM is 300/300. Aus model is "I think" less.
I guess the voice would be a Sheila though as opposed to a Japanese Lady. Everything is now in English. Bar the Audio Head/Unit. which is a Jap market Panasonic.

>> Was wondering what it is like compared to the 1.6:
>> 1. does it sort the huge lagginess of the CVT out?
It has 3 modes. I - Intelligent. S - Sport. S# - This is when it has 8 gears. more boost, lower revs for turbo spinning up (I think), stays in gears longer, much much more responsive than I or S mode.
Plus bear in mind it has something near to 295bhp from the 2.0l Lump.
If I compare it to my Hawkeye though it does feel laggy. But that has 380 ftlb torque which comes in around 2000rpm.
I don't really like the CVT even in manual mode with the flappy gear stuff. But that's me. I just prefer manuals.

>> 2. how early does the torque kick in? One of the nice things about the 1.6 is plenty of torque from <2000 rpm. Makes up for any slight turbo lag. Turbo lag doesnt bother me on my previous 7 or 8 manual Scoobs as I have control over revs but with the dippy CVT I wonder if it might feel worse if torque comes later on the 2.0 unit? Is the S# mode "too jumpy" as Aussie reviewers seem to think?
I'm not sure it is turbo lag. It's more the boot down function of the CVT I would think. I don't think it's too jumpy. Think they are being extremely picky. But perhaps their model is different in that it loses 30bhp and 50Nm of torque?
Maybe the map isn't as refined?

>> 3. does the steering on the STI have better feedback than the UK cars which are pretty numb. STI model is supposed to have "revised steering" wonder what that is? Just the clamp stiffener (already added that myself) or also bushes, ratios and other adjustments?
Good point. I find the steering too light for me. But again maybe it is what I'm used too and comparing it too. It reminded me of the wife's previous car, a Cooper S. I think it's electric possibly. Perhaps that is why.

>> 4. Are the Blistein shocks better for UK roads, not even sure what shocks the stock UK model carries but it can be pretty wallowy at times in the back and crashy up front.
Probably not had it long enough in all honesty to provide a good review on it's handling. It's not a patch on my Impreza STi and leagues behind the Evo.
But I'd say it rides the bumps better than both of those. Much much better. Does it wallow. No not really. But I've not really stuffed it into any bends yet. So how it really handles I'm not so sure. It does feel a bit heavy though. But's it is. And it's an estate/wagon.

>> And mind if I ask how much the IVA would be for an STI import?
I had mine imported via Torque GT down this way. Only thing they had to do was A) convert speedo and B) put new tyres on as it has some sort of snow tyres on it.
Standard IVA cost. £199 I think from memory.

>> I have gotten used to the Levorg now and do enjoy driving it. Will never be a nimble little Impreza but it is not meant to be. Just want it to (a) be more responsive to my pedal and (b) give me more precise steering feedback. Having a less wobbly suspension would be nice too but not a must.
It's enjoyable to drive. as you say it can't compete with an Impreza STi. It's way more comfortable and the cabin is so much more modern and luxurious. The leather looks much better in real life than the pics by the way. We tend to drive it in I mode anyhow.
Next time I'm out in it I'll switch it to S# mode and see. And once we have some better weather, Sunday maybe, I'll take some newer better pics.
Steering I don't think you'll like. I reckon it is probably the same as your UK car. I've not driven one so can't really compare but it sounds similar to me.
Suspension though, with Bilsteins, and they look the same or very similar to my my Hawkeye and Evo actually, is pretty good. It seems to share a lot with the WRX/STi. so maybe suspension components are interchangeable? But we quite like it as it is. We have the other cars for more performance related spirited drives.

Hope that helps...

---> end copy/paste <---