1.6 GTS.......is it a good Subaru?

Mark HK

Hi Guys,
I live and work in Asia, based in Hong Kong. My daily driver is a 2013 XT Forester (JDM spec) bought new from our main dealer. My fun car is a hotted 2003 WRX Wagon with several major upgrades including a 6 Speed Spec C transmission. Last October while in Tokyo, I drove the 2 litre Levorg and loved it. Sadly in Hong Kong, like Europe, we can only get the 1.6 litre engined version. So this December, I took a local test drive in the 1.6GTS, arriving at the Subaru showroom with large doubts.

To my surprise I wasn't disappointed with the 1.6 engine. While not a swift as the 2 litre version, it wasn't the slouch I expected. Upon selecting Sports Mode, applying generous peddle and using the paddles, it was "sporty". Yes, I had to work the engine harder than I'd normally prefer but it seemed to thrive.

So I'm now in a quandary. Do I tough it out and hope that Subaru eventually bring into HK the 2 litre version (same engine as in my Forester), or do I go with this 1.6? I already notice 1.6 engine chip upgrades that claim +200BHP, which would be enough for me; Although warranty issues would have to be carefully considered.

Any thoughts, experiences would be much appreciated.
Mark

ScottyLevorg

Hi Mark,

I don't know what you decided to do (sorry i wasn't on the board in December to reply) in the UK we only get the 1.6 GT - (I believe the GT-S moniker is reserved for vehicles with the eyesight system) at the moment - which is what i've bought.

Initial impressions - its quick for an estate car with a 1.6 engine, and only 170PS - it handles so well, its like a go-kart in the corners, a lot more fun to drive than you'd expect it to be! Fuel consumption when driving it with passion - which if you are anything like me is most of the time - isn't great - I get 20-25mpg on my work commute, long journeys 35-40mpg is easily possible.

Handling in adverse weather is great, I live in the north of Scotland, so rain, snow, mud on the road, ice etc are pretty common issues - the car deals with them all in a safe manner, never giving you nasty surprises and that Subaru asymmetrical 4wd system works perfectly.

I've also noticed the various tuning companies offering that 200bhp option - if anyone gets this let me know how it works out - I'm waiting and praying for subaru to bring the Levorg STI to the UK with the 2.5 engine found in the WRX STI, and a manual 6spd box!