Manual transmission swap in progress

Sandman

Gday all, I've seen a lot on info ajd discussions in regards to manual swaps in levorgs. I am currently in the process of doing just that. I live between Japan and Australia. Given the Yen vs AUD at the moment, it is easier and cheaper to obtain parts from Japan. I am importing all VAB drive shafts, tail shaft, VA 6spd woth DCCD, EJ257, cluster and everything else that is needed. Subaru Japan have been very helpful, helping me get what I need without road blocks. I have found it incredibly difficult getting anything in Australia. You are all more than welcome to follow my Instagram on the progress of this build. I would expect it to be completed in the next few months, as I have 3 crates about to board a ship from Tokyo to Brisbane.

Also, if you need something, feel free to contact me, I can get most if not everything from Japan, and it's cheaper.

Once this is all done. I will be selling my FA20 and CVT, along with the cluster etc. That later. My levorg is an import, I purchased it new in Fukuoka Japan, imported it in 2019. So, keeping line with that, all my running gear is VAB STi from Japan, although it is that same stuff you can get in Aus.

I have done a heap of research on this, so if there is anything you want to know, feel free to drop me a message.

My Instagram is jdm.levorgsti

Cheers

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
The very best of luck with the conversion. Be interesting to see. Have you had a chance to gauge how much...roughly/// the build with cost you between parts and labour minus what you may receive for selling your old parts?

Sandman

The very best of luck with the conversion. Be interesting to see. Have you had a chance to gauge how much...roughly/// the build with cost you between parts and labour minus what you may receive for selling your old parts?
I will let you know once built. However, parts alone, I am about $2000-$2500 ahead than what the 'conversion packages' that are being sold in Australia. The issue is with these conversion packages that several companies in Aus are selling, is there are lot of small parts you need to make it all work. I would doubt that you would receive all of those with a conversion package. I think you would be forever chasing parts, then dealing with Subaru Australia is like pulling teeth. I went into Subaru Japan with a list and diagrams of what I needed, they were very helpful. Pulled a laptop out which had schematics and part numbers and away we went. There are companies in Japan converting levorgs, is what the dealer said.

With all parts and the EJ257, I am about 9k AUD in. The same gear in Aus you are looking at around 18k, and those engines are not complete, where as this one I got, is compete. We will rebuild it before it goes in. If you want to keep your FA motor, manual parts are about $5500. That's with everything. In Aus they are averaging around 8k, but you don't know exactly what your getting. I found these companies very vague when questioned, which raised red flags in my opinion. Getting a donor car would be Ideal. However, next best is the ease of getting parts in Japan. I put a lot in my suitcase. It's been an interesting journey to date, but it will be well worth it in the end.

My goal is to have it just as it would if they made a manual version. We shall see!