New Levorg Owner in UK with Question on Infotanement System

J50OBY

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT 170
New to the Club but not to Subarus. I have had a series of turbo wagons since 1991.

The first was a UK Gen 1 GT. Then a Gen 3 GT VDC; a Gen 3 GTB E-tune followed by a Gen 4 GT Twinscroll - all imports.

I took delivery of a 2018 UK Levorg GT 170 at the end of January this year.

The Twinscroll was mapped to 318 BHP so the Levorg is a bit pedestrian by comparison but nippy enough for an old codger like me.

Moving from the 2003 Twinscroll to a practically new car is a bit of a culture shock as the car is cleverer than I am. Still I am getting to grips with it.

The Infotainment system is a bit of a challenge. I have found StarLink a waste of time. Decided the best way to listen to recorded music was with a USB stick. This is the first integrated Sat Nav system I have and it dos not seem be as good as the removable Garmins I have been used to. In particular, try as I might, I cannot find a way for the Sat Nav to show Traffic Camera locations and a GPS based current speed. I thought that these two features were universal in Sat Nav units.

Has in Europe anyone found a way to unlock these features?

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
Hello and welcome! In Australia we have both features, not sure why you do not have them? Where did the car come from?

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
New to the Club but not to Subarus. I have had a series of turbo wagons since 1991.

The first was a UK Gen 1 GT. Then a Gen 3 GT VDC; a Gen 3 GTB E-tune followed by a Gen 4 GT Twinscroll - all imports.

I took delivery of a 2018 UK Levorg GT 170 at the end of January this year.

The Twinscroll was mapped to 318 BHP so the Levorg is a bit pedestrian by comparison but nippy enough for an old codger like me.

Moving from the 2003 Twinscroll to a practically new car is a bit of a culture shock as the car is cleverer than I am. Still I am getting to grips with it.

The Infotainment system is a bit of a challenge. I have found StarLink a waste of time. Decided the best way to listen to recorded music was with a USB stick. This is the first integrated Sat Nav system I have and it dos not seem be as good as the removable Garmins I have been used to. In particular, try as I might, I cannot find a way for the Sat Nav to show Traffic Camera locations and a GPS based current speed. I thought that these two features were universal in Sat Nav units.

Has in Europe anyone found a way to unlock these features?
J50OBY, it's in the menu settings but be warned, it's irritating. Turn on the head unit, when it's ready select Map, then Menu, then Settings. There's a option to turn on warnings in that drop down menu.
Depending on what you've selected from the list (I can tell you my experience because I'd forgotten that I'd activated it), every junction it will bleep at, every speed camera location it will beep at, AND every time you exceed the roads speed limit by 2 mph it will bleep at you.
It cost me several trips to the dealer I purchased it from (38 miles away from me!) and my local dealer plus the costs of several remote control batteries before my local Subaru garage's engineer worked out what was causing the annoying beeps and turned them off, lesson learned! ;)

Last edited:

J50OBY

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT 170
Hello and welcome! In Australia we have both features, not sure why you do not have them? Where did the car come from?
The car is an official UK model supplied through Subaru UK. I think Subaru UK may have been too mean to pay for the licence to include cameras and GPS speed.

leftfield lenny, I've been all through the menu and settings but cameras are not amongst the warnings that can be turned on. On You Tube there's a very funny upload from a WRX Sti owner from Aus about his tribulations trying (and eventually succeeding) in finding the speed cameras and other warnings.

I've got round the problem by buying a "Snooper My Speed" unit that comes with free lifetime updates.

Thanks both for your help.

J50OBY

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT 170
J50OBY, it's in the menu settings but be warned, it's irritating. Turn on the head unit, when it's ready select Map, then Menu, then Settings. There's a option to turn on warnings in that drop down menu.
Depending on what you've selected from the list (I can tell you my experience because I'd forgotten that I'd activated it), every junction it will bleep at, every speed camera location it will beep at, AND every time you exceed the roads speed limit by 2 mph it will bleep at you.
It cost me several trips to the dealer I purchased it from (38 miles away from me!) and my local dealer plus the costs of several remote control batteries before my local Subaru garage's engineer worked out what was causing the annoying beeps and turned them off, lesson learned! ;)
Sorry lennie, for some reason I thought you were from Aus, not the UK. Whereabouts are you?

As I said, I did not think I could find speed cameras amongst the warnings in the dropdown but you seem to have done so. Did the screen show the camera location and type or did it just beep?

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
Sorry lennie, for some reason I thought you were from Aus, not the UK. Whereabouts are you?

As I said, I did not think I could find speed cameras amongst the warnings in the dropdown but you seem to have done so. Did the screen show the camera location and type or did it just beep?
Hi J500BY, I can't remember as it was when I got the car three years ago, it definitely beeped near cameras were supposed to be located, fixed points anyway and what was considered dangerous junctions. I can't remember if it showed the camera symbol, I think that it did.
I'm in Peterborough and I'm only aware of two in the area. Mine and the Subaru dealer 7 miles away has at least one for sale.
Unfortunately mine goes in a fortnight. It's the wrong car for my current circumstances :(

Last edited: