Robsyuk 2018 Levorg Sti

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Now at 93k and getting ready for having all the fluids changed.

I've replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the intercooler with white spirits, carb cleaner in the throttle body and all breather pipes.

I went to change the pcv valve and annoying ordered the wrong one. * The Ebay page said it was for the Levorg.*
I cleaned the old one out with carb cleaner and it rattles perfectly. I see the pcv as an service item and would have rather replaced it, But eventually plan to fit a catch can system.

Considering the car has only ever used 99 Ron while in my ownership and hopefully the 101 Ron in Japan - I was surprised how gunked up the breathers were.

I spent ages straightening the fins on the intercooler only damage it. Don't ask.
I will get a new one from Japan as I'm not convinced this dent isn't effecting the flow, even though the car is driving better than ever.

The car feels more responsive and this may sound strange, but it's as if I'm being pushed from behind rather than the engine pulling me when the turbo kicks in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
The spark plugs were so much easier to do on the FA20 vs the EJ20 in my hawkeye. Only took me an hour, and having a wobbly adaptor really helped with the far plug. I dropped the old plug, can you see it? But I'm glad I have an extendable magnet. It saves me having to struggle around to recover dropped plugs & bolts.
The plugs are orange from the use of octain boosters and I need to see if the orange is a sign that I'm not diluting them enough, or using them too frequently, or totally normal.

And naturally, while everything is out, I cleaned the battery area and other bits I normally wouldn't have access to.
My daughter wanted to help, so I let her do the screen wash.
I had an annoying whistle and lost boost pressure which turned out to be me installing the intercooler wrong.

Why subaru design the I/C with gaps on the end is crazy. Having to use a rubber gasket that the clip sits in, to seal this holes is a recipe for disaster. The heat over time will destroy the seal and the clip will eat into it causing a leak.
Look at the EJ20 Inlet pipe from the 2005 impreza. The exact same thing happened.
I am tempted to see if an aftermarket I/C has better fittings to fail proof it.
The bung that holds the charge pipe in place split and Subaru don't know when they will have it back in stock. I'm tempted to upgrade the pipe to Perrin or similar as again, plastic will fail over time.

Attachments

Last edited:

nicodache

Rob, we need you to do a quick picture guide on how to remove intercooler, MAF, PCV, EGR, throttle body for us all!

I don't even know where my car PCV valve is :rolleyes:

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Rob, we need you to do a quick picture guide on how to remove intercooler, MAF, PCV, EGR, throttle body for us all!

I don't even know where my car PCV valve is :rolleyes:
I didn't even think of that tbh. It's simple enough to remove everything. It's just technique getting the intercooler out without crushing the fins.

The pcv valve is at the front of the intercooler with this little pipe connecting the block to the inlet.

Attachments