Spec B

XJxaxYX

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know, what is "spec-b"? From what I've read, it's basically bilstein shocks, stiffer suspension and 18 inch wheels.... But what else?

ColS

Spec B in Australia is the gts model that has the bilstein shocks plus

Black STI 18in wheels,
STI front tower bar
STI lower body kit
STI rear vortex generator
STI starter button
STI shift knob.

It's basically a cosmetic pack plus the front tower bar.

XJxaxYX

Nice, thank you for info!☺ Since this is purely cosmetic, can a 1.6 variant be considered a spec B with all the upgrades mentioned above?

WheelieBin

As far as I'm aware, the Spec. B is a Subaru Australia specific model. They're imported as a GT-S and then modified in country. I don't believe there's a formalised JDM Spec. B (or any other domestic market), but I could be wrong.

Side Note: all trim levels in Australia are the 2.0, we don't have any 1.6 variants.

XJxaxYX

Hi Wheelie,

FYI: Spec B isn't Australian specific model. Maybe Australia emphasizes that it's a spec B but it doesn't mean there's no other country doing Spec B mods since it's actually aesthetic upgrades mate.☺

WheelieBin

I think you're misunderstanding. Yes, of course the mods are available elsewhere, but the Subaru branded Spec. B (as an OEM trim level) is a local thing. The cars come into the country from Subaru as the 2.0 GT-S and are then modified by Subaru Australia prior to delivery to the dealers.

XJxaxYX

That's exactly what I mean. Subaru spec b (yes, OEM trims) isn't only in Australia. Japan Levorg is actually just a spec B because no "STI" mods are made in the engine. It's still the 1.6 and 2.0 engine. Just like here in our country, there's a Subaru XV STI but it's only a Spec B as it's just aesthetic "STI OEM" mods.
What Subaru Australia did is pure marketing using the words "Spec B" instead of saying it's an STI because it's not really an STI because engine wasn't touched to make it more appealing to the market since Aussies are Subaru diehard fans (especially my college friends back in the day there) instead of the evos mate.

XJxaxYX

BTW, Just remembered... Spec B here, in Malaysia, and in Indonesia are marketed as "STI performance" models... But yes they get the "STI package... OEM Aesthetic Mods plus suspension upgrade.

H_Green

I think you're misunderstanding. Yes, of course the mods are available elsewhere, but the Subaru branded Spec. B (as an OEM trim level) is a local thing. The cars come into the country from Subaru as the 2.0 GT-S and are then modified by Subaru Australia prior to delivery to the dealers.
Not per the information I got when ordering - Spec B was out of the Japan factory already built as a Spec B not modified here. My dealer also confirmed this.