Steering rack issue

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
My EDM 1.6GT is just coming up to 3 years old (27000 miles, 43000 km) and therefore the bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire. Right on cue, a few days ago I noticed a knock in the steering when rocking the steering wheel back and forth whilst stationary. Took it to my local dealer (50 miles away) and as I suspected, they identified the problem as a faulty tension spring (it puts pressure on the rack opposite the pinion to keep it in true). It's a $10 part, but none in stock in the UK, and a 3-4 week wait for a new one. Luckily it doesn't affect driving it, so they'll fix it when the part arrives. Pretty poor really, I could probably get one from Dubai, Russia, or Lithuania in a couple of days. Disappointed that it's failed - my '98 Forester is on 180k miles with no problems ever, I hope this isn't typical of Levorg reliability. No other issues though, the car is great in every respect.

nicodache

I also got a knock issue while rocking the steering wheel. dealer stated it was bushings and a shock top hat.
Car is 102.000km though.

And I have no clue what that tension spring looks like or where it is. Anyone over here can help with this ?

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Have a look on partsouq.com - put your vin number in and you'll get the complete parts catalogue with exploded diagrams for your particular car, very useful to see how things come apart and go together. It's part number 34130VA000.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
An update on this: the spring part arrived last week and the dealer fitted it, but it didn't sort the problem. Apparently, it's a known issue, and Subaru have now authorised a new steering rack to be fitted under warranty. Booked in for the first week in January.

Doogz32

Vehicle(s)
2018 Levorg GTS 2.0
An update on this: the spring part arrived last week and the dealer fitted it, but it didn't sort the problem. Apparently, it's a known issue, and Subaru have now authorised a new steering rack to be fitted under warranty. Booked in for the first week in January.
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Intz

I had heard knocks as well from the front, although mine only appeared when the wheel was turned and i started to reverse. Dealer said that my front brake pads were worn and is the likely culprit. They changed the front pads and my knocks were resolved.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
I had heard knocks as well from the front, although mine only appeared when the wheel was turned and i started to reverse. Dealer said that my front brake pads were worn and is the likely culprit. They changed the front pads and my knocks were resolved.
My problem is actual play in the steering, felt through the steering wheel when rocking it back and forth while stationary. Not noticeable when driving. According to the dealer, there have been 3 or 4 other incidences of this in the UK, out of 500 cars sold.

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
My problem is actual play in the steering, felt through the steering wheel when rocking it back and forth while stationary. Not noticeable when driving. According to the dealer, there have been 3 or 4 other incidences of this in the UK, out of 500 cars sold.
Now you've got me curious as to how and why I've managed to kerb my nearside front alloy wheel (and badly at times) so often. I'm checking for that tomorrow after work, it's too cold now and the M.O.T's due in March 2021!

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
Okay, it's just my poor driving skills, and that semi lifeless electric power steering that's responsible for my badly kerbed alloy wheel then! ;)

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
The newer Subarus have a side view camera on the nearside wing mirror, so that you can do a properly thorough job of kerbing your front wheel. They think of everything ;)
Yep, not much feedback through the steering wheel, but accurate and precise, not vague like an Audi.

AdrianLevorg

Vehicle(s)
2016 Levorg
Hey Mate, do you have the part number for the steering rack, mine needs to be replaced, trying search for it online

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Hey Mate, do you have the part number for the steering rack, mine needs to be replaced, trying search for it online
Part number for my car (UK spec 1.6) is 34110VA000

Last edited:

AdrianLevorg

Vehicle(s)
2016 Levorg
Thank you very much, where do you guys source parts? I have hard time trying to locate parts for this car.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Thank you very much, where do you guys source parts? I have hard time trying to locate parts for this car.
I had the rack replaced under warranty, so the dealer sourced it from Subaru. partsouq.com is a possibility though. The only parts I've needed during my 3 years ownership have been brake pads, easily found on eBay.