"Tappit Noise"?

Wilko

Hi folks, has anyone had their FA motor lose power and have a tappit noise that increases and decreases with engine revs. Turbo 2ltr engine. Thanks. ( plugs changed still there, engine done 60k)

nicodache

Nope. Tappets/lifter noise isn't a good sign. I'd recommend you bring it into a dealer for confirmation of diagnostic - if car is still under warranty, and oil was changed by the book, they'll have to fix this.

nicodache

Now, bear in mind subaru usually have rod knock, instead of tappets clicketing. The first one goes toc toc toc, the second does tiktiktiktiktik. rod knock are much more common (and I'm sure half of us have had that in aa previous subaru already), and are not always omen of imminent engine failure. tappets noise is almost never going to cause an engine to fail, but can lead to higher fuel consumptionn less power, noise, engine fault codes...

Levorgasm

Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Levorg 2.0 JDM
Now, bear in mind subaru usually have rod knock, instead of tappets clicketing. The first one goes toc toc toc, the second does tiktiktiktiktik. rod knock are much more common (and I'm sure half of us have had that in aa previous subaru already), and are not always omen of imminent engine failure. tappets noise is almost never going to cause an engine to fail, but can lead to higher fuel consumptionn less power, noise, engine fault codes...
Hi there,
So, my Levorg would give an error code via odb II connection? She makes all kinds of sounds lol.. Knock knock, who's there? It's me. Subaru.
Sometimes it has a loud lower frequency drone when accelerating although doesn't seem less power. Could this be pinging?
Apologies for the lack of knowledge. Have owned a few subarus, all have funny sounds yet none have failed. I may be desensitised to the eclectic range of tones the engine produces.

nicodache

How many kilometers/miles do you car has ?
serviced by the book, oil level is good ?

Are you putting good fuel in ?

Noticing some color in exhaust gasses (blue is oil, black/grey is excess/unburnt fuel, white is water/coolant) cold, or hot ?

Are your noises linked to car speed or engine rev ? Does it change when the box switches gear ?

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
Hi folks, has anyone had their FA motor lose power and have a tappit noise that increases and decreases with engine revs. Turbo 2ltr engine. Thanks. ( plugs changed still there, engine done 60k)
Hi Wilko,

I have just had my transmission replaced under warranty and now noticed a tapping noise. I was planning on taking it back to Subaru but someone hit my car while parked yesterday and it's going to the panel beater first. Will let you know how I go once I get it to Subaru

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Hi Wilko,

I have just had my transmission replaced under warranty and now noticed a tapping noise. I was planning on taking it back to Subaru but someone hit my car while parked yesterday and it's going to the panel beater first. Will let you know how I go once I get it to Subaru
Damn Man, you're bad luck is SURELY due to run out soon!!
Where did they hit you?
Much damage?
Palease tell me you got their details and it wasn't just damaged when you returned to her?

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
Damn Man, you're bad luck is SURELY due to run out soon!!
Where did they hit you?
Much damage?
Please tell me you got their details and it wasn't just damaged when you returned to her?
I bloody hope this bad luck comes to an end. My mates think this car is cursed!!

Woman reversed into the side of it. It was parked on the street and she reversed into from the opposite houses' driveway. Had it looked at by the panel beater and the pillar is bent, replace the doors and full side respray. She has no insurance so she's going to be up for a few grand I reckon. Goes in for repair next Tuesday

Attachments

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
I bloody hope this bad luck comes to an end. My mates think this car is cursed!!

Woman reversed into the side of it. It was parked on the street and she reversed into from the opposite houses' driveway. Had it looked at by the panel beater and the pillar is bent, replace the doors and full side respray. She has no insurance so she's going to be up for a few grand I reckon. Goes in for repair next Tuesday
Man that sounds more like 8 grand than a couple, damn! She must’ve been moving to bend a B pillar!!

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
One of my LED headlights has failed, guess how much subaru Australia wants for a new headlight....$3550 (not fitted, have to remove the entire front to fit it)

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
One of my LED headlights has failed, guess how much subaru Australia wants for a new headlight....$3550 (not fitted, have to remove the entire front to fit it)
Just 1??? That’s ridiculous. I’d be looking at aftermarket ones for sure!

Levorgasm

Vehicle(s)
How many kilometers/miles do you car has ?
serviced by the book, oil level is good ?

Are you putting good fuel in ?

Noticing some color in exhaust gasses (blue is oil, black/grey is excess/unburnt fuel, white is water/coolant) cold, or hot ?

Are your noises linked to car speed or engine rev ? Does it change when the box switches gear ?
Thanks for the response! In answer to the above..
It's a 2014 JDM 2.0. Only mod is k&n cold air box.
Car has done 125k kms. Oil is presently a bit dirty tbh (will change that this week).
Running 98 octane.
No smoke that I note unless I've been driving around for ages like a geriatric and then give her a kick in the guts, little bit of black smoke.
On startup does the usual higher idle then settles to idle and makes a fafafafa kinda sound from in engine bay (my marine engineering experience would describe it as maybe a gap in a manifold??)
When driving, every now and then it develops a slightly louder tone when I plant my foot and seems to lag a little but when the turbo kicks in properly she's away.
Driving in a selected (albeit made up) gear at around 3k rpm on light gas I get a little of that subaru sort of rumble in the background.. A lot of threads I read leave me a little confused..
Is that rumble knocking or just the fa20djt sound?
Is the post startup fafafafa the tappits?

Ps. My cvt whines when I go 0-100% in lower gears.. Is that normal? I am considering a transmission oil cooler.
Thank and kind regards

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response! In answer to the above..
It's a 2014 JDM 2.0. Only mod is k&n cold air box.
Car has done 125k kms. Oil is presently a bit dirty tbh (will change that this week).
Running 98 octane.
No smoke that I note unless I've been driving around for ages like a geriatric and then give her a kick in the guts, little bit of black smoke.
On startup does the usual higher idle then settles to idle and makes a fafafafa kinda sound from in engine bay (my marine engineering experience would describe it as maybe a gap in a manifold??)
When driving, every now and then it develops a slightly louder tone when I plant my foot and seems to lag a little but when the turbo kicks in properly she's away.
Driving in a selected (albeit made up) gear at around 3k rpm on light gas I get a little of that subaru sort of rumble in the background.. A lot of threads I read leave me a little confused..
Is that rumble knocking or just the fa20djt sound?
Is the post startup fafafafa the tappits?

Ps. My cvt whines when I go 0-100% in lower gears.. Is that normal? I am considering a transmission oil cooler.
Thank and kind regards
If that K&N air box is a cold air intake, your problem is that. If you fit a CAI the ECU has to be tuned, no way around it, and it can damage the engine if you don’t tune it. If it’s just a drop in panel filter same size as the stock one then that’s ok. If it is a full CAI, there’s only two choices, take it off, or tune it, and the sooner the better.

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
That’s a fair assessment. I’ve read anything like CAI will need a tune.

I heard back from Subaru about my cars tapping. Thankfully it was just the exhaust bracket making the tapping noise on mine

Levorgasm

Vehicle(s)
If that K&N air box is a cold air intake, your problem is that. If you fit a CAI the ECU has to be tuned, no way around it, and it can damage the engine if you don’t tune it. If it’s just a drop in panel filter same size as the stock one then that’s ok. If it is a full CAI, there’s only two choices, take it off, or tune it, and the sooner the better.
Cheers guys. Will change back to factory to see if it alleviates it. And check all my brackets etc as another mentioned above.

Any thoughts on cvt coolers guys? Anyone done it?

Wolvo

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S
Good to hear it was just a bracket I had a exhaust bracket snap the one by the CVT that made a tapping noise which took a while to find

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Cheers guys. Will change back to factory to see if it alleviates it. And check all my brackets etc as another mentioned above.

Any thoughts on cvt coolers guys? Anyone done it?
No problem, be sure to update us if it fixed the problem. As to the fafafa and extra rumble type noises you’re hearing from the engine bay, a lot of that will just be the increased induction volume from the CAI, sounds awesome IMO, but must tune to keep them. Unfortunately the ‘boxer rumble’ is all but gone in the FA series engines due to needing equal length headers for the new twin spool turbos, the rumble came from the the unequal length headers and the boxer design combined, so we sort of still get a little taste every now and then.
As to trans coolers, I hear they make about a 6 degree Celsius lower temp which is always good unless you’re in a cold country like our Swedish and Norwegian brothers, then not so good.