Warranty Claims - what has gone wrong with your levorg?

Parian

Hi All

Would be ideal to discuss warranty claims/issue's related to the levorg, that you may have experienced.

I can understand that there will be those few who aren't comfortable in showing/discussing their own levorg vehicle failure's that they have experienced.

Transparency is the key, if i do end up selling my levorg, then at least the prospective buyer will know of the previous problems.

I'll get the ball rolling outlining every warranty claim that i have had with my levorg.

1. TGV (tumble generator value) right hand side.
Unfortunately i had to drive the levorg for 6 weeks in 'limp mode' whilst the replacement part was literally shipped from Japan. Those who know of the TGV's lack of importance in warmer climates would simply replace with TGV deletes.
Alas, gotta keep the warranty alive ;)

Side note: After picking vehicle up, i pulled out of the service centre driveway and turbo intake pipe blew of. That's correct, the so called experts... 'Subaru Service Centre'... had failed to tighten the inter-cooler pipe.

It wasn't a memorable start to receiving one's pride and joy back from the experts. Did have to ask them to clear error codes also... i'm not even a mechanic!!!

2. Bell housing seal leaking.

Alarm bells rang, i've now got to trust the 'Subaru Service Centre' folk once again.
Could not fault them on replacing said Bell house seal, they absolutely nailed it!!!!

In the process, they managed to pinch the left hand axle seal (they had to strip the front end to get to bell housing) so my levorg was now leaking axle oil.

3. Axle seal replacement.

Obviously this was replaced under their own warranty of 'we're amateur's in what we do'. :mad:

4. Took vehicle back to subaru service centre for its major service due to front end issue's.

They informed me that my front left hand rotor needed machining. I said 'no don't do it' as i will get it done elsewhere myself.

Took my levorg to actual experts in the rotor machining business and they not only informed, yet showed me that the front control arm bushes were gone. The rear control arm bushes were cracked and would need replacing soon.

Thanks to having a quality mechanic who has performed the majority of the car's service intervals... 'Subievolution', i managed to get a dangerous situation quickly remedied at my own expense.

There was no way i could trust the self proclaimed subaru service centre experts as they have proven their incompetence thus far.

5. After 3.5yrs the rear diff has managed to chew it self up. It was May 2nd 2020 so i couldn't really say it's a 'MayDay' call or could i?

Did i buy a lemon? How could this be so i asked myself.

The tow truck driver that came to tow my sorry vehicle to the *gulp* subaru service centre, informed me that he had only towed a levorg from Mt Gravatt, Qld., only 3 days prior. Which had incidentally experienced a similar rear end issue as mine had.

The kind people at subaru have now given me a impreza hatchback to roll around in until the end of June 2020.

I was over whelmed with personalised importance when the smiling customer service subaru representative told me that they were making a 'fresh diff up especially for me'.

Sure thing, of course Subaru Japan wouldn't have spares sitting on a warehouse shelf.

Please contribute any warranty claims you may have had.

It may show similar problems that the levorg build has.

Cheers ;)

Last edited:

nicodache

Driver head rest leather cracked - replaced under warranty
inside side of door handle front doors didn't like summer heat and paint bubbled - replaced under warranty, thanks to a understanding dealer (Dany, if you read this, you rock :))

I think that's it :)
MY2015, 1.6l, upper trim level thing.

Rustysalami

Wow. What Subaru dealer do you go to Parian? Sound like amateurs. Touch wood no warranty issues with mine, but it is low K's.

I took it to Subie Evolution for an end of warranty inspection and they couldn't find anything to raise before it goes out of warranty. Recommend an independent inspection of your car before the warranty runs out - dealers like to hold off on any little jobs so they have bigger jobs to do when the warranty runs out.

Parian

Wow. What Subaru dealer do you go to Parian? Sound like amateurs. Touch wood no warranty issues with mine, but it is low K's.

I took it to Subie Evolution for an end of warranty inspection and they couldn't find anything to raise before it goes out of warranty. Recommend an independent inspection of your car before the warranty runs out - dealers like to hold off on any little jobs so they have bigger jobs to do when the warranty runs out.
I've tried quite a few different subaru service centres. As i generally get my car serviced at Subi Evolution, the only time my car goes to subaru has been for warranty claims.
I'd avoid Mt Gravatt, City and Capalaba at all costs.

Curious why you've come to end of warranty already. The levorg only came to Australia in June 2016. Did you not get a 5yr warranty?

Last edited:

nicodache

Dealer warranty on Levorg is 3 years in Belgium. Took an additional 2 years warranty from 3rd party insurance company that Subaru suggested.

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
Hi All

Would be ideal to discuss warranty claims/issue's related to the levorg, that you may have experienced.

I can understand that there will be those few who aren't comfortable in showing/discussing their own levorg vehicle failure's that they have experienced.

Transparency is the key, if i do end up selling my levorg, then at least the prospective buyer will know of the previous problems.

I'll get the ball rolling outlining every warranty claim that i have had with my levorg.

Unfortunately i had to drive the levorg for 6 weeks in 'limp mode' whilst the replacement part was literally shipped from Japan. Those who know of the TGV's lack of importance in warmer climates would simply replace with TGV deletes.

Side note: After picking vehicle up, i pulled out of the service centre driveway and turbo intake pipe blew of. That's correct, the so called experts... 'Subaru Service Centre'... had failed to tighten the inter-cooler pipe.

It wasn't a memorable start to receiving one's pride and joy back from the experts. Did have to ask them to clear error codes also... i'm not even a mechanic!!!

Alarm bells rang, i've now got to trust the 'Subaru Service Centre' folk once again.
Could not fault them on replacing said Bell house seal, they absolutely nailed it!!!!

In the process, they managed to pinch the left hand axle seal (they had to strip the front end to get to bell housing) so my levorg was now leaking axle oil.

Obviously this was replaced under their own warranty of 'we're amateur's in what we do'. :mad:

4. Took vehicle back to subaru service centre for its major service due to front end issue's.

They informed me that my front left hand rotor needed machining. I said 'no don't do it' as i will get it done elsewhere myself.

Took my levorg to actual experts in the rotor machining business and they not only informed, yet showed me that the front control arm bushes were gone. The rear control arm bushes were cracked and would need replacing soon.

Thanks to having a quality mechanic who has performed the majority of the car's service intervals... 'Subievolution', i managed to get a dangerous situation quickly remedied at my own expense.

There was no way i could trust the self proclaimed subaru service centre experts as they have proven their incompetence thus far.

5. After 3.5yrs the rear diff has managed to chew it self up. It was May 2nd 2020 so i couldn't really say it's a 'MayDay' call or could i?

The tow truck driver that came to tow my sorry vehicle to the *gulp* subaru service centre, informed me that he had only towed a levorg from Mt Gravatt, Qld., only 3 days prior. Which had incidentally experienced a similar rear end issue as mine had.

The kind people at subaru have now given me a impreza hatchback to roll around in until the end of June 2020.

I was over whelmed with personalised importance when the smiling customer service subaru representative told me that they were making a 'fresh diff up especially for me'.

Sure thing, of course Subaru Japan wouldn't have spares sitting on a warehouse shelf.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Cheers ;)
Hi All

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Cheers ;)
I've a 2016 (17 plate) Levorg 1.6GT UK reg and spec. The only thing that's come in for warranty treatment was the replacement of the audio head unit. The previous one seemed to have USB issues to the extent that the main dealer couldn't update the audio unit and sat nav.
Not that it's made much difference to the way that it performs. The replacement head unit has gone back to failing to read my USB sticks. I now just stream my music on Bluetooth via my mobile phone.
I'll have the definitive answer as to whether the head unit has gone faulty again when the service is due next year. Unfortunately my car will be outside of warranty then.
Several forum members have swapped out the head unit with varying degrees of success. If anyone has made a success of it in the UK and retained a neat appearance and all of the functions, I may well be interested.

Last edited:

Rustysalami

I've tried quite a few different subaru service centres. As i generally get my car serviced at Subi Evolution, the only time my car goes to subaru has been for warranty claims.
I'd avoid Mt Gravatt, City and Bayside at all costs.

Curious why you've come to end of warranty already. The levorg only came to Australia in June 2016. Did you not get a 5yr warranty?
Thanks for naming them. I'm Northside so thankfully haven't come across them. Newstead have been pretty good to me over the years and I can't complain.

Mine came with a four year warranty back then. Subaru sometimes only do 3 year warranty. Depends what deals they do at the time. Had a Forester with only 3 years.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Oh Parian poor you!
You have had a rough trot. Do you cane your Levorg always or just unlucky?
Only warranty Ive needed for my MY17 (touch wood) was the front left Shock knocking.
I have the GTS so the Bilstein setup. Subaru replaced it under warranty no problem. Everything else has been fine.
Done around 80K and have 6 months left of 5 year warranty

Parian

Oh Parian poor you!
You have had a rough trot. Do you cane your Levorg always or just unlucky?
Only warranty Ive needed for my MY17 (touch wood) was the front left Shock knocking.
I have the GTS so the Bilstein setup. Subaru replaced it under warranty no problem. Everything else has been fine.
Done around 80K and have 6 months left of 5 year warranty
Apologies for the late reply.
I wouldn't say that 'i cane' the vehicle... sure i do use it's supplied features when the need arises or rather, presents itself. I often get to the posted speed limit as quickly as the car allow's to.

With the latest warranty claim, (which was the the rear differential failure) the story continues unfortunately.
Waited for 3 months to get my vehicle repaired. In those 3 months my vehicle was left outdoors in the back yard under a tree on the boundary fence.
Little black ants had set up home somewhere in my levorg. Yes i noticed them walking over the screen of the infotainment head unit. It was quite apparent that the dealership had noticed a similar situation before they gave me my vehicle back because when i got my car finally back home, i could smell bug spray. Of course they denied this when i questioned them about this fact.
They did offer to send around a 'pest exterminator' to fix the problem yet i denied them that opportunity. There was no reason i'd trust them to eradicate the ant's without poisoning the cabin.

I had a scheduled service due on my vehicle 18th of June 2020. I usually get SubiEvolution to perform log book services yet because my car was in a 3 month warranty claim lock down, i decided to let Wynnum Subaru perform the next service since they already had my car. This was completed by them on the 29th of July 2020.

Only 4 days after finally receiving my vehicle back, the night before i were due to embark on my re-scheduled long awaited holiday, the next problem arose.

When Wynnum Subaru replaced the 'fuel filter' (this is the one that's inside of the fuel tank) they ended getting the loom wires caught up under the seal.

Details below:

After fuelling up with a full tank of petrol, i noticed a strong smell of petrol whilst on my 2.4km trip to home. Once parked up in my garage i noticed a ever increasing pool of petrol underneath my car.

As you could imagine, damage control was now underway. Kitty litter and containers were placed underneath the vehicle to 'catch' as much leaking fuel as possible. At this point i was grateful to have happened to get a full tank of fuel now instead of when i was travelling on the 110km/phr highway.... you all know how this would of ended if that were the case.

Holiday cancelled once again, this time due to incompetence of service dept. staff at Wynnum Subaru service centre.

As vehicle is still under warranty, i decided to take my levorg to a different Subaru service centre to get problem rectified.

Yes i got got charged a $110 fee to get this issue rectified, so me the CONsumer had to chase up Wynnum Subaru for reimbursement of this fee due to their incompetence.

Wynnum Subaru eventually paid the $110 fee i was charged and also 'offered' my next vehicle service 'free of charge'.

Even after sending the Manager an email stating that 'i'm grossly offended by that offer considering previous performance levels' ... they decided to send me a text message informing me that my vehicle is booked in for a service on Wednesday 27th of Jan 2021 at 7am.

Moving forward.... to all who own a Levorg, find a mechanic who actually gives a stuff about your pride and joy cos Subaru dealerships couldn't care less. They fly by the seat of their pants, Subaru Australia head office are a bunch of corporate pansy's who have ZERO SAY in how the individual dealerships run their scam.

The 8th of December 2021 will be the best day in my 5yr toxic relationship with the people who don't give a shit.

The day i don't EVER have to take my vehicle back to the muppet's of Subaru Dealership Australia.

Avoid at ALL costs!!!

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
I've had one warranty claim on my '17 1.6 GT. The steering rack developed slight play at 28000 miles, only really noticeable when stationary. Took it to Simpson's Subaru in Swindon, they inspected it, and asked Subaru to authorise a new rack, which they did immediately with no discussion. Car was off the road for one day while they fitted it, they gave me a brand new Forester e-boxer as a loaner. Simpsons did a great job, they're a Subaru only dealer, and actually care about their work.

Parian

I've had one warranty claim on my '17 1.6 GT. The steering rack developed slight play at 28000 miles, only really noticeable when stationary. Took it to Simpson's Subaru in Swindon, they inspected it, and asked Subaru to authorise a new rack, which they did immediately with no discussion. Car was off the road for one day while they fitted it, they gave me a brand new Forester e-boxer as a loaner. Simpsons did a great job, they're a Subaru only dealer, and actually care about their work.
Awesome turn around resolution response on the steering rack 'slight play' problem noticed in the stationary position. Kudo's to Swindon Subaru for moving so quickly. Well done ayyyyyyyyyye!

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Yeah you’ve had some horrible luck there mate, I really feel for you. Once I showed my dealer here In Melbourne my LF shock noise they changed it over no questions asked, and gave me a new Forrester for the two days it took to get the parts from Sydney and change it over. Vastly different experiences. I moved to Vic from Qld years ago now but my first Subie back in 1996 experienced a crappy dealer too, in Springwood. I’ve heard of a few dealers being sub par up there. Very unfortunate
Sure hope your luck improves man

Wolvo

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S
Hi All

Cheers ;)
Hi I have a Oct 2016 2.0 GTS NZ New which is the same as the Australian spec I believe only 3 year factory warranty in NZ so I'm out of warranty now so far new battery original one died just out of warranty the steering wheel has sun damage at the top of it and now on starting the car cold there is what sounds like a exhaust squeak ing sound from the engine bay underneath though goes away when fully warned up I'm now looking for a good local Subaru mechanic in Auckland who cares as I've also had bad experience with our local Subaru service center

Cheers

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
We tend to moan about not receiving the 2.0 turbo Levorg, but it sounds like a blessing in disguise with the issues that you guys in Australia and New Zealand have suffered!
I've only suffered issues with the audio unit, (it was still working) and I would have never known about the final problem that swung the decision to replace it if my local dealer hadn't told me about it during its service. It was replaced free of charge under warranty.
Mine is a 2016 build 1.6 GT ex Subaru staff car registered in 2017. It seems like the Blue Steel Grey colour wasn't as popular as Subaru thought that it would be. ;)

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
It seems the Subaru dealers here in UK are better than in Queensland, for sure. I only investigated my steering rack issue because the 3 year part of the warranty was about to expire - I would have lived with it otherwise, as it wasn't really noticeable when driving. The dealer didn't hesitate to act on it immediately, and it must have cost Subaru a fair amount, what with the labour involved (it's very tight in there, lots of dismantling). I have a feeling a VW, Audi, or Merc dealer would not be so forthcoming, from what I've heard. I've still got nearly 2 years left on the driveline warranty, so no worries for me on that score, knowing the way the dealer operates.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
True Qld dealers don’t sound too good at all, I’ve had no problem with the Vic dealer I go to, slight knock in front left strut, replaced no questions asked and loan car provided free. Parian definitely has had a rough trot. Seems the Aussie steering racks are fine unlike Europe, weird. But no way I’d trade my 2.0ltr ;)

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
wirring noise coming from transmission. Identified in January 2021, told it was tyres and replaced the set. Wasn’t the tyres, and Subaru near me said they 'found a fault' 1 March 2021. Followed up many times with local dealer waiting on response so I send a complaint email, this is Subaru Australia’s response:

[3] Transmission noise will require a strip and inspect for an assessment following which Subaru Australia will further review and adjudicate based on findings; Frankston Subaru will contact you thereafter once an outcome is drawn

At this point in time, regrettably we have no available loan vehicles. Please kindly note that under the warranty Subaru Australia does not accept liability for any loss of use of the vehicle; for any alternate transportation such as rental feeds, lodging, our out of pocket expenses, for any damage to goods, commercial loss, loss of time or inconvenience; or for any other incidental expenses or consequential damages.

I’m absolutely livid that I need to send my car back to Subaru (again) and get them to inspect it . Last time I was without a car for over a week without a loan car.

Last edited:

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
G'day Nang,
Damn man, that sux. I really do feel for you brother. It would be awesome if a fault is confirmed, as at least you'll get a new trans and the problem will be resolved for you...FINALLY! The only thing I would suggest is going to a different dealer this time. I suggest this for 2 reasons:
1. The last time that dealer looked at your trans they pulled it apart and said it was fine, blamed tyre feathering (Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!) Maybe a different dealer has more competent mechanics? and
2. Though Subaru (and all car manufacturers for that matter) state they are not liable to provide loan cars etc etc. The level of service you receive from one dealer to the next can be vastly different as they are all privately owned dealerships. I was provided a loan car free of charge for 4 days or so while they replaced one of my piece of sh!t Bilstein struts and top hats under warranty, no questions asked.
Maybe you'll get better service and assistance from another dealer. Personally I think I have been lucky going to the dealer I go to, I know Parian has had HORRIBLE experiences with several Qld dealers. I go to Eastern Subaru on Main Street Lilydale. Trevor is the Service Manager and he has always been helpful and professional. Good luck with it brother, hope it all pans out well for you and you can get back to enjoying your Vorg.
PS If you still wanna be taken for a spin on the MCA's let me know ;)

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
G'day Nang,
Damn man, that sux. I really do feel for you brother. It would be awesome if a fault is confirmed, as at least you'll get a new trans and the problem will be resolved for you...FINALLY! The only thing I would suggest is going to a different dealer this time. I suggest this for 2 reasons:
1. The last time that dealer looked at your trans they pulled it apart and said it was fine, blamed tyre feathering (Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!) Maybe a different dealer has more competent mechanics? and
2. Though Subaru (and all car manufacturers for that matter) state they are not liable to provide loan cars etc etc. The level of service you receive from one dealer to the next can be vastly different as they are all privately owned dealerships. I was provided a loan car free of charge for 4 days or so while they replaced one of my piece of sh!t Bilstein struts and top hats under warranty, no questions asked.
Maybe you'll get better service and assistance from another dealer. Personally I think I have been lucky going to the dealer I go to, I know Parian has had HORRIBLE experiences with several Qld dealers. I go to Eastern Subaru on Main Street Lilydale. Trevor is the Service Manager and he has always been helpful and professional. Good luck with it brother, hope it all pans out well for you and you can get back to enjoying your Vorg.
PS If you still wanna be taken for a spin on the MCA's let me know ;)
Thank Guv!!

Yeah I actually bought the car from Subaru Lilydale. I spoke to the sales manager there and he was really great to chat to. He said that in normal circumstances they would take the car and sort it themselves. As the warranty process has already started, if they took the car now, it would take even longer. In hindsight I really wish I had taken the car back to them. The only reason I didn't take it to them was to save an hour each way drive and I didn't know it would be such a huge issue.

Kicking myself but oh well, lesson learned.

He tells me Subaru Australia a waiting for Frankston to provide a diagnostic report (appratent they've never heard of that before). I've still not heard from them and I'll be following up this week. Seems like Frankston are either dropping the ball or Subaru Australia or both.

Yeah still keen to keep a feel for the coilovers, just got a few busy weekends coming up

Erynz

Vehicle(s)
2016 Levorg 2.0 GT.
Hi I have a Oct 2016 2.0 GTS NZ New which is the same as the Australian spec I believe only 3 year factory warranty in NZ so I'm out of warranty now so far new battery original one died just out of warranty the steering wheel has sun damage at the top of it and now on starting the car cold there is what sounds like a exhaust squeak ing sound from the engine bay underneath though goes away when fully warned up I'm now looking for a good local Subaru mechanic in Auckland who cares as I've also had bad experience with our local Subaru service center

Cheers
Mate you may be sorted, but there is only one Subaru place in Auckland: Subtech 09 580 2263
Nothing but good reviews and feedback and I took my 2016 Levorg 2.0 I for a service. I can’t recommend them enough. Like they’re actually enthusiasts as well as mechanics. The perfect blend