Which Levorg should I buy?

rnvb

Hi,

I don't currently own a Levorg but I really need some helpful advice before pulling the trigger. I have owned an FN2 Civic Type R since 2015 and it has been great, reliable, fun and quite practical but is only a two door so not the best choice as a family car. After looking at various cars from FK8 Type R's to Skoda Superb and Golf R's I have finally settled on the Levorg. I have never owned or driven a car with a CVT gearbox before but from what I hear, the Subaru CVT is pretty good. I've always wanted to get a Subaru, partly influenced by my dad as he owns two Legacy B4 Blitzen and being a massive fan of rallying and the BTCC.

I live in England so we only get the 1.6 here but I would love the full fat 2.0 FA20 STI from Japan. Coming from the Civic which was competely standard, 200bhp was fine for me so if I couldn't get the JDM STI Levorg, would the 1.6 be enough? My question being, do people who own the 1.6 find it has enough power for a car of this size? Has anyone remapped the 1.6 engine and CVT box to near 200 bhp?

I'm a bit worried that converting a JDM STI Levorg to MPH and installing an English headunit would be a bit of a hassle, expensive and maybe lose some of the cars functions (cameras etc)?

I haven't even test driven a Levorg yet so I guess that would be recommended as my next step. Sorry for the waffling and thanks in advance!

nicodache

Yep, test drive a levorg first ;)

The 1.6 can be remapped, but the CVT is the limiting factor here, she doesn't like too much torque.
The 200bhp is indeed what we think is safe (basically, from 250NM to 280NM torque. Compared to 180NM for the FN2 CTR NA engine).

rnvb

Thanks for the info! So even with a standard 1.6 Levorg it should feel a bit quicker lower down than the Civic. To be honest with the type of driving I do, it's rare that I get the Civic up into the VTEC range anyway so it's probably wasted on me. I don't thrash my cars but I do like to have a bit of power when needed.

What do you have nicodache and how do you find performance for general driving?

nicodache

got the 1.6 with the steering wheel on the right side (meaning the left ;))

performance is adequate for my wallet, considering E10 fuel is currently à 1.75€/l :D

Now, it's an "wide open space" car - she's clearly bored around town, and is most fun to drive on sweeping B-roads at highway speeds :D

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
UK owner here. I've had my 2017 1.6 facelift nearly 3 years now, no regrets. I've just done a 2500 mile trip to Germany and Denmark, the car was brilliant throughout and even returned 40mpg overall. I have a tuning box fitted, which gives 200 hp and 212 Lb/ft torque. Not exactly fast, but fast enough as a grand tourer. Excellent handling, you'll never run out of grip, and it has torque vectoring. The CVT is really great once you get used to how it drives, and matches the 1.6 turbo perfectly. It's very comfortable for long distances, visibility and driving position is excellent. The Eyesight system is also excellent, and you can switch individual elements off with actual buttons if you wish. Adaptive cruise is a godsend. I have no plans on changing any time soon, the Levorg is unique. Best go for a facelift (2017) 1.6 as it has the Eyesight system and other improvements, but they are very rare.
Where are you? If any where near Bristol, you're welcome to have a look.

Last edited:

rnvb

Thanks for the replies. It sounds perfect for what I need then Arkatee, it sounds like the car was perfect for your Euro trip too. Coming from 26 mpg most weeks in the Civic I'd be more than happy with the 30 to 40 mpg from the Levorg. Although the JDM version would be a lot of fun I don't really need a 300bhp rocket ship. I think if an already imported one became available I'd take a look but the 1.6 sounds like just the ticket.

I heard the 2017 had improvements (ECU update or mechanical?) to the CVT which made it more responsive so I will hold out for one of the 2017 models. Did your tuning box change anything in regards to the CVT or is it just purely for the engine? Also where did you buy yours from as I noticed there are a few different tuners who sell them?

I'm up in Manchester so probably a bit far from me but thank you for the offer, yours looks stunning the wheels really suit it!

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)

rnvb

That's brilliant value for money and I imagine it will pay for itself eventually in the fuel savings. Did you go for the bluetooth version? Also I take it setting 1 on the tuning box is standard bhp mode all the way up to 7 being 210 bhp and you can just select this on the fly, is that right?

Have you had many recalls over the time you have owned it?

Sorry for all the questions but thank you again, it's all very helpful.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Settings are as below. Not possible to select on the fly as it lives under the bonnet. Not bluetooth.
No other recalls as yet. The parking brake connector recall one is non critical and is only affected by extremely cold climates.

Attachments

nicodache

I've had a recall for mine which I don't think was for the parking brake. Mine is MY2015. I think it was for some engine idle thing

rnvb

Ah I see, I imagine I wouldn't really need the bluetooth version as I would set it once and forget about it. Do you have yours on Mode 1 or 2 then as you mentioned you run about 200bhp? Have you tried the higher settings?

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
I run it in mode 4. The hp figures are probably only approximate.
I've had a recall for mine which I don't think was for the parking brake. Mine is MY2015. I think it was for some engine idle thing
Probably addressed on the facelift.

J50OBY

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT 170
Didn't realise you had the tuning box .
I've been thinking of this. What was the reaction of your insurance company?