Levorg GT-S or Forester XT for us?

MarkMelbourne

Vehicle(s)
MY18 GT-S, Mazda2
It’s time to replace our Forester GT MY00, and it’s come down to a 1-2yo Levorg GT-S or Forester XT. Can you help us decide?

My wife likes Levorg’s style and shape, citing the Forester as to bulky. I’d be happy in a Levorg, but I’m concerned about the stock suspension setup, and ability to get out on dirt roads to a remote camping spot or hilltop lookout. I'll also tow a small camper trailer at times (let's say max 1300kg). But most of the year it will be a city wagon.

Say I buy a 2yo Levorg and upgrade the suspension circa $2k, as others have done. I’m sure it depends on the specific setup …. but can the outcome be great handling on poor country roads? Can I expect the Levorg to happily drive on dirt trails which are potholed and corrugated, but still marked suitable for 2WD … or am I tasking the car incorrectly and should look at the Forester?

I realise Levorg has lower ground clearance than Forester, but I’m not going rock scrambling or churning through deep mud, so don’t think that’s an issue. As I type this I’m reminded of the Subaru dealer’s TV screen playing slow motion clips of the WRX flying around outback rally dirt roads.

Sabi

Hi Mark, I really recommend you go with the Forester XT. I'm currently driving the Levorg but going to change to the Forester XT in march for the same reasons you've mentioned. It's much more versatile then the Levorg and with the 2Liter engine and X-Mode you'll have so much fun. Don't bother about bulkiness, I do think it's a beautiful car. The Levorg isn't capable for camping spots, you would be scared to hit the buttom of the car all the time. Also Subaru is retiring the 2.0 Turbo engine in the next gen Forester, so it would be a great opportunity to own one from the last series and not to mention the heritage of the model. I hope this is helpful!?
Best,
Sabi

MarkMelbourne

Vehicle(s)
MY18 GT-S, Mazda2
Thank-you Sabi, that's very helpful. Getting out off road is an important criteria for my car, so I think you are right that I'll be best served by the XT.

Luke Rado

The Levorg is definitely more suited as a road based weekend warrior/tourer!!
The Levorg handles “like” a WRX; (particularly with aftermarket suspension) think liberty wagons of yesteryear. Can’t say I have been in a recent model Fozzy but if they have kept with the same formula of 5-10years ago, which being Subaru I think that a fair assumption is the Fozzy would be less corner adept and more suited for your light off roading requirements
Both would be suitable towing vehicles for a weekend away or local boat ramp visit

Parian

The 'fozzy' will probably be your best option.

It really depends on how rough the dirt roads are that you intend to travel on.

Have MCA coil overs and i do quite often travel dirt roads to get to favourite camp spots. Car is purposely stock height for this reason.

Have only had to turn around once whilst exploring dirt tracks at Blackheath NSW.

Generally the dirt roads in national parks in NSW are well maintained and i've never had any problems travelling them in the levorg.

MarkMelbourne

Vehicle(s)
MY18 GT-S, Mazda2
The 'fozzy' will probably be your best option.

It really depends on how rough the dirt roads are that you intend to travel on.

Have MCA coil overs and i do quite often travel dirt roads to get to favourite camp spots. Car is purposely stock height for this reason.

This picture shows about the limit of what I want to do. This is a 2WD dirt track with some rough parts, but nothing that should need high ground clearance. Does this look reasonable for a Levorg?

With the MCA coil overs, I note there is some adjustability. Does this mean you can tune them for off road (softer, more wheel travel) and for trailer (counteract the trailer downball weight) ?

On my current car, I run the tye PSI higher than the manufacturer recommendation on the highway, so I let out some tyre air from the 16" tyres when the going gets rough. Would you do the same with the 18" Levorg tyres when heading onto dirt?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mt-Porepunkah-cropped-2017-09-30-13.39.21.jpg

Parian

This picture shows about the limit of what I want to do. This is a 2WD dirt track with some rough parts, but nothing that should need high ground clearance. Does this look reasonable for a Levorg?
Looks easy work for the levorg and my kinda drive away from it all :D You won't have any issue's navigating that terrain.

With the MCA coil overs, I note there is some adjustability. Does this mean you can tune them for off road (softer, more wheel travel) and for trailer (counteract the trailer downball weight) ?
Correct you are, adjustments can be made easily to suit your requirements. I generally opt for the 'softer' setting when on the dirt.
Unsure about the characteristics in a towing situation.
I ended up with the MCA purple coilovers.

On my current car, I run the tye PSI higher than the manufacturer recommendation on the highway, so I let out some tyre air from the 16" tyres when the going gets rough. Would you do the same with the 18" Levorg tyres when heading onto dirt?
Good to adjust tyre pressure especially if there are rocky patches on the track. Me personally, i've taken the risk and left tyre pressure the same... probably due to laziness more so.