Mishimoto CVT Cooler

data_bloke

Vehicle(s)
2016 Levorg GT-S
Hello Folks,

I'm thinking of getting a CVT cooler for my 2015 Levorg GT-S 2.0 JDM. I remember reading somewhere that this comes with a CVT Cooler from the factory, can anyone confirm this? Also, is anyone running the Mishimoto CVT cooler and if so, does it help? Thanks.

mvpluidex

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT
From my experience, my key recommendation would be to just run the Mishimoto engine oil cooler, for this reason:

1. The CVT is already cooled by engine coolant directly (you can see the silver round unit on the right side of the transmission), so naturally, if you are able to get your engine oil, and subsequently, coolant, to run cooler, then your CVT will automatically be at optimum temperature.
2. Using external coolers for the CVT makes the CVT fluid take longer to get up to operating temperature, and also you run the risk of over-cooling the fluid itself (depending on how you drive). The fluid has a very specific viscosity and temperature that it is supposed to operate on.

I run the TR580 1.6l Levorg and I am currently at over 300Nm output, and no issues so far. Only aftermarket cooling I am running is the Mishimoto engine oil cooler. I never get the AT Temp light warnings.

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
European spec 1.6 from 2017 has additional transmission cooler in front of radiator.