New member - with a couple of questions!

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
BMW R1200S, Abarth 595C, Subaru Outback 3.0Rn & Subaru Levorg GT STi
Hello,

Recnetly acquired a Subaru Levorg 2.0GT STi and have a couple of questions:

Firstly I have been using Fuchs Pro Race fully synthetic 5w-40 oil In my Outback. From what I’ve pickup so far on this group is most are using 5w-30? I have a manual in English coming from Australia as the only info manuals I have are in Japanese. So advice in the interim is welcome!

Secondly the car has a factory upgrade head unit - a very fine Pioneer but it is in Japanese… No translations are available for a AVIC-ZH0999 but more by luck than judgement I have managed to connect phones etc and unusually for A JDM car the frequency does go up to 98Mhz FM. So I think a new head unit would be the answer so recommendations for any suitable plug and play units would be helpful? Alternatively I have an option to buy a UK head unit removed from a wreck but my question is will it need to be coded to the car as per the unit in my old Outback - If so it won’t work in a JDM car as they did not have this security feature on them. Or will it be plug and play?

Lastly for now UK Unleaded petrol is 95RON. Used to run my Twinscroll on 99RON as that was the general consensus. Should I do the same with the Levorg? Asking for now but hopefully when my manuals arrive from down under all will become clear????

So please any advice on the above will be most welcome!

Best regards,

David :)

Last edited:

jarocki

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG GT-S
I also have a JDM 2.0 FA20 levorg in Ireland. My service book has all the oil changes in 5W30 so don't think much more than that. Servicing seems to have been done every year and was around the 10km mark each time +/-. My car also came with a japanese head unit and also surprised to have the wider band with to around 98 also. That gets me all the channels i need plus bluetooth connection/cd's etc. Don't see the point/cost in replacing it really. In Ireland we also only get 95 Ron and in Japan that it's much higher. However speaking with a few people on these newer engines and it having a CVT it might be best it leave it as is but happy to hear peoples opinion on this.

rnvb

First off, welcome! Nice Levorg!

For the stereo, a few people go for one of the Idoing Android headunits but you may need to pick up a replacement set of HVAC controls which sit underneath the stereo. I think if you contact Idoing they will tell you which ones you need. They look like the standard UK Levorg controls and I read that the WRX STI ones work too, just double check to be safe.

For fuel, get the highest grade you can. Probably 99 from Tesco or Shell V power as my previous JDM cars ran fine on this and never had issues.

Try the link below for Subaru Levorg manuals. It has the 2016 and then 2017 versions in English. It features sections with info on the STI models too so it should help a little.

David_S_Walker

Vehicle(s)
BMW R1200S, Abarth 595C, Subaru Outback 3.0Rn & Subaru Levorg GT STi
Hello,

Thanks for that info - very useful.

So… Managed to pick up a UK Levorg stereo for a pittance. Will try this route first but don’t know if it will work. From my days with a UK Legacy/Outback there is a security feature in the head unit that will put the unit into. A secure mode after running for approx. 1 hour. It basically needs coding to the car but I know from experience that a UK Unit cannot be coded to a JDM car as they didn’t have this feature.

I am fairly sure it will plug in and work but we shall see whether or not this feature was carried over to a Levorg or not…

Best regards,

David :)

Last edited:

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
First off, welcome! Nice Levorg!

For the stereo, a few people go for one of the Idoing Android headunits but you may need to pick up a replacement set of HVAC controls which sit underneath the stereo. I think if you contact Idoing they will tell you which ones you need. They look like the standard UK Levorg controls and I read that the WRX STI ones work too, just double check to be safe.

For fuel, get the highest grade you can. Probably 99 from Tesco or Shell V power as my previous JDM cars ran fine on this and never had issues.

Try the link below for Subaru Levorg manuals. It has the 2016 and then 2017 versions in English. It features sections with info on the STI models too so it should help a little.
I agree, I have the idoing, and for the money it is awesome! Loads of features and excellent sound. I always use BP ULTIMATE, subaru's run better on it than shell, but i guess it is a matter of what you can get!

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
My oil cap says 5w30 so I'll use that.
The radio should just be plug and play, my jdm impreza never came with a rear fog but my levorg has one. I wonder if the Japanese are making more cars with all features rather than specific for each market.
As for fuel, in Japan they use 101 Ron and the nearest we have is 99ron. I'd only use 99 unless stuck and then stay off boost.

I've tried Tesco momentum, Esso 99 and Shell V power and found thar my sti idles better on the momentum.

If you can't get 99 where you are, then I'd look at getting the engine mapped to suite your fuel.

Any uk made levorg will work on any fuel level but 99 is best.

Anyone with the idoing head unit. Can you sync other things and not just your phone? I'd like to sync a hks dongle.