Slow tyre leak - pressure sensor itself was to blame

clive_p

Vehicle(s)
Levorg
Over the last few months one of the tyres developed a slow leak - the pressure warning would come on and I'd have to pump it up every month or so. The tread was getting down to not much above the legal minimum so I bought 4 new tyres a couple of weeks ago assuming that this would fix the problem.

To my surprise the slow leak continued, or maybe got worse, losing around 1 psi per 24 hours. As I'd just bought the tyres I took it back to the tyre fitting place (Kwik-fit) and asked them to investigate. They couldn't find a leak in the obvious places around the rims or any puncture, but took the tyre off the rim again and discovered that the pressure sensor itself was leaking. I didn't know that these are attached to the bottom of the valve stem. They replaced this and it seems to be ok now, so I guess their diagnosis was correct. It seems a bit odd to me, but I think this is the first car I've had with tyre pressure sensors fitted, so it's all new to me. The more automatic systems cars have the more there is to go wrong, of course.

nicodache

I had a leak at the valve itself, a couple of years ago.

This may have been rushed/improper installation, rim defect, or just bad luck, I don't know. But dealer (who fitted the valves on the new rims) fixed it free of charge :)

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
Just so you know, with awd you only have to replace 2 tyres at a time. Unless all 4 need changing of course

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
Just so you know, with awd you only have to replace 2 tyres at a time. Unless all 4 need changing of course
That's not what I have read. The tyre diameter needs to be the same on all 4 or you can destroy the centre diff. So having 2 new tyres and 2 old tyres with only 1/2 the tred depth with cause an issue, in America they have a company that will shave the new tyres to match the old ones which will save you buying 4 new ones.

Robsyuk

Vehicle(s)
LEVORG Sti
That's not what I have read. The tyre diameter needs to be the same on all 4 or you can destroy the centre diff. So having 2 new tyres and 2 old tyres with only 1/2 the tred depth with cause an issue, in America they have a company that will shave the new tyres to match the old ones which will save you buying 4 new ones.
The difference is a few mm. It won't make a difference.
I've had many impreza's and never had an issue.
Check www.scoobynet.com there's endless threads on it.