Suspension question

Magenb

Vehicle(s)
Mx5
I see the go to solution is the MCA coilovers (or silvers Neomax), but they add another 10% to the cost of the car at the moment, so this might shift me to buying a GT over a GTS or having a lot more KM's on the clock. Does simply changing the springs stop the issues? I see whiteline has an option.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
Good question, hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer as I'm sure someone on here has done just a spring swap. But here's my 2 cents. I decided against just springs for 2 reasons. 1. Its the shock that controls the rebound, so I didn't think spring only swap would solve the bouncy rear end, and 2. The front end bottoming out is caused by (among other things) the shock stroke being too short. As the whiteline springs you mentioned are lower than stock (about 20mm) that shortens the available stroke length even further. I think you would definitely feel a difference in handling with just spring swap, but not get rid of the problems that made you consider swapping springs in the first place.
Installation will cost more for springs only than coilovers too. Labour to remove and refit the struts is $300, but you will then need to pay additional labour to dissemble the struts to install the new springs, no idea how much that costs, but its an extra expense to be considered. Yes the overall cost will be cheaper than coilovers, but is half fixing something worth any expense at all? Personal choice I guess, hopefully someone who has done just a spring swap answers you here as they would know for sure. I opted to save a lil longer for the MCA's and it's the best decision I could have made, I cannot praise them enough, they transformed the whole car.

Magenb

Vehicle(s)
Mx5
Thanks Guvna, given that, I guess it makes sense that no would have tried it.

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
Good question, hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer as I'm sure someone on here has done just a spring swap. But here's my 2 cents. I decided against just springs for 2 reasons. 1. Its the shock that controls the rebound, so I didn't think spring only swap would solve the bouncy rear end, and 2. The front end bottoming out is caused by (among other things) the shock stroke being too short. As the whiteline springs you mentioned are lower than stock (about 20mm) that shortens the available stroke length even further. I think you would definitely feel a difference in handling with just spring swap, but not get rid of the problems that made you consider swapping springs in the first place.
Installation will cost more for springs only than coilovers too. Labour to remove and refit the struts is $300, but you will then need to pay additional labour to dissemble the struts to install the new springs, no idea how much that costs, but its an extra expense to be considered. Yes the overall cost will be cheaper than coilovers, but is half fixing something worth any expense at all? Personal choice I guess, hopefully someone who has done just a spring swap answers you here as they would know for sure. I opted to save a lil longer for the MCA's and it's the best decision I could have made, I cannot praise them enough, they transformed the whole car.
I agree, if you are going to keep the car for 5 years or more then the mca coilovers have a 5 year warranty here in Australia and they are very helpful should you have any issues. I have spoken to them, they are in QLD and very easy to deal with.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
I agree, if you are going to keep the car for 5 years or more then the mca coilovers have a 5 year warranty here in Australia and they are very helpful should you have any issues. I have spoken to them, they are in QLD and very easy to deal with.
I second that! Josh is great

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
I see the go to solution is the MCA coilovers (or silvers Neomax), but they add another 10% to the cost of the car at the moment, so this might shift me to buying a GT over a GTS or having a lot more KM's on the clock. Does simply changing the springs stop the issues? I see whiteline has an option.
I too want a set of coilovers but I’m struggling to save and I’m priced out of pro comforts.

I’ve read a post on the Levorg group on Facebook. Swapping the suspension out for a set from a 2017+ wrx is a significant change but lower cost option. The person said there was a huge difference in the way it handled.

Seems to remove the bounce and bottoming out. Something else to consider

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
I too want a set of coilovers but I’m struggling to save and I’m priced out of pro comforts.

I’ve read a post on the Levorg group on Facebook. Swapping the suspension out for a set from a 2017+ wrx is a significant change but lower cost option. The person said there was a huge difference in the way it handled.

Seems to remove the bounce and bottoming out. Something else to consider
Before the Levorg I owned a MY15 WRX, I found that suspension to be VERY good. It’s true that other suspension components differ between the Rex and the Vorg, as well as a MUCH stiffer chassis on the Rex, so it’s not just the struts from the Rex that made it so much better. But the rear end wasn’t ‘floaty’ and the fronts never bottomed out. Being that the Levorg is about 50kg heavier than the Rex and has the room for fat more weight to be carried I would consider slightly stiffer springs in the rear at least. But definitely an option if they do fit. Some other users on here have said they are happy with the Silvers Neomax, they’re about $1000 cheaper than the MCA’s so you could look at that option too.

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
Yeah someone commented that the 2015 to 2017 WRX had stiffer suspension but later models went for a softer ride. Having said that though

The person that fitted the WRX suspension said the rear dropped 3mm at the rear. I wonder if that’s due to the extra weight?

I have noticed a few comments about Neomax being quite firm and people having issues so I’m leaning away from them. Maybe Voston comforts as someone has them on a vorg and they’re really happy with them.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
Yeah someone commented that the 2015 to 2017 WRX had stiffer suspension but later models went for a softer ride. Having said that though

The person that fitted the WRX suspension said the rear dropped 3mm at the rear. I wonder if that’s due to the extra weight?

I have noticed a few comments about Neomax being quite firm and people having issues so I’m leaning away from them. Maybe Voston comforts as someone has them on a vorg and they’re really happy with them.
$1790 for the Voston Comforts
Looks like they have different internals to the Pro Comforts, and they are manufactured overseas for MCA (to MCA Specs) rather than in-house in Brisbane. External components seem the same as the Pro Comforts, mounts springs etc, but the Vostons have pretty green adjustment rings instead of black, but now I want green rings too! :mad: $700 cheaper than the Pro Comforts, and if MCA is willing to whack their sticker on it, I reckon they would still be a good Coilover ey!
By the way Nang, good to see you plan on keeping the Vorg now ;)

Nanginator22

Vehicle(s)
$1790 for the Voston Comforts
Looks like they have different internals to the Pro Comforts, and they are manufactured overseas for MCA (to MCA Specs) rather than in-house in Brisbane. External components seem the same as the Pro Comforts, mounts springs etc, but the Vostons have pretty green adjustment rings instead of black, I want green rings too! ;( $700 cheaper than the Pro Comforts, and if MCA is willing to whack their sticker on it, I reckon they would still be a good Coilover ey!
By the way Nang, good to see you plan on keeping the Vorg now ;)
Yeah, that’s my thought with Voston. Hopefully the tax return is good to me this year and I can get a set. Otherwise might look at WRX ones as a short term option.

haha I did advertise it recently but all I was getting was dealers low balling me. Decided I’d hold on to it for a little longer. I still have a little love/hate relationship with it. I think once the suspension is sorted I’ll love it again. I’ve just noticed a knock in the steering and I’m praying it’s not what I think it is

Magenb

Vehicle(s)
Mx5
I see Neomax has 2 different options the "s"silver and "r"black. Where the people who found them too stiff using the street version or the race version?

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
'Too Stiff" is a bit of a subjective description, compared to the stock struts all coilovers will be firm/stiff. My MCA ProComforts are certainly firm, some would say too firm, personal choice. But I find them to be a 'comfortable sporty firm" which is perfect for me. Though I admit I was worried they would be too firm for the 96 year old grandmother to ride in, my wife thought it would be ok, so we took my car, and she sat in the back and loved it.
Not to say anyone who says they are 'too firm' is softer than a 96 year old woman! LOL. It just illustrates it's a personal choice/opinion ;)
Best way to decide for yourself if they are suitable for you is to try and hook up a ride with someone who already has the set you're considering.

Last edited: