Upgrading stock speakers

Sancho

While the stock audio system in the Levorg seems quite good (in as much as a 30 minute testdrive can show), I'm convinced a speaker upgrade and some damping in the doors would benefit the sound.

I'll probably install a Kicker set. Anyone have any experience upgrading speakers? Which model would be the best drop in replacement?

ozkan bicer

I have just upgraded the HU and I must say I am impressed with the sound quality already. I would suggest you upgrade the HU first and then if you are still not satisfied, go with the speaker upgrade. That factory installed HU is underpowering the speakers.

Sancho

The HU is staying. I know it's not perfect, but I do like the functionality and it seems to work decently.
Higher sensitivity speakers should help with volume. And if it's not an improvement, it was a cheap attempt that probably won't hurt sound either.

ozkan bicer

then you might wanna put an under-seat amp unit. The HU is not sending enough power to speakers. Stock speakers are not super but enough to shake the dash.

Sancho

I'll see where I go, but I've invested lots of money in upgrading previous cars and I'm set on keeping the Levorg as stock as possible.

ozkan bicer

I have upgraded my door speakers and tweeters. Here is what I did:

Front doors and tweeters: TS-G173CI
Rear doors: Sony XS-GS1621 PREMIUM

You will need speaker adapters and spacers for the install unless you mind drilling some holes in your car. I ordered adapters from subaruaudio.net Patrick is the man. He custom builds everything for your install.

as for the result, I cannot hear anyone when I turn it up. And it is powerful and clear.. I am planning to add a sub and amplifier soon.

Prasarn D.

Hello

I just order Focal ps 16 SFX new sound concept of speaker + amp NXS R3002 with damping all's 4 doors, I've appoinment to install this on this Friday and let you know it soon.

Noi

ozkan bicer

Hi,

I ended up changing my front speakers to Sony 1621C as well. I have also installed a Pioneer TS-wh1000A Subwoofer and A pioneer GM-D7400 Amplifier. Now it sounds like a car. I installed Sub and amp under the front seats so that I would not have to sacrifice any room in the trunk area. Treating the doors and the rear seat area and trunk is a must if you want to eliminate road noise.

good luck!

Chucky

Hi,

I ended up changing my front speakers to Sony 1621C as well. I have also installed a Pioneer TS-wh1000A Subwoofer and A pioneer GM-D7400 Amplifier. Now it sounds like a car. I installed Sub and amp under the front seats so that I would not have to sacrifice any room in the trunk area. Treating the doors and the rear seat area and trunk is a must if you want to eliminate road noise.

good luck!
Any pictures on install? Still using stock headunit?

Timmymeach

Hey guys, new here. Much the same story as alot of you, would like alot better quality sound and more power from the speakers, what do you guys recommend for brand and size of speakers and who do u recommend to install. Am located in the bris/gold coast area.
Cheers

Arctic Fennec

I've owned my Levorg for less than a month and decided something had to be done about the stock speakers cos they were actually painful at moderate volumes on the ear. I upgraded speakers and and also 5 ch amp, installed today. Considering a sub in the near future. Went with Pioneer TS series, more than good enough for me. Stock HU still, not looking to change it. Want to maintain stock.

Only issue is now I have a light electrical hiss at mute or sound turned off (not static). This was not there with the stock setup. I brought this up when I picked up the car, but they said it had to do with the poor electronics of the stock head unit. I'm a little disappointed. It is slightly annoying as anytime you are driving the car without sound there is a slight hiss emanating from the speakers in the background. Not distracting, but not exactly what u want after an upgrade! And this was an experienced car Audio shop who have done the set up very nicely.

Has anyone else who has done speaker and amp upgrades but left the HU as it is experienced the same? Any advise? It's bugging me a little.

Attachments

ozkan bicer

hi,

I have a very similar amp and I did have the same problem and I am happy to say that I took care of it by checking the ground. The ground should be good otherwise it is causing that background noise. You might wanna check if the power wire is too close to speaker wires as well. Some people say they should be away from each other.

My setup is :
HU: Pioneer F77DAB
Speakers : Sony XS 1621 Components in the front and coaxials in the rear
Amp: Pioneer GM-D7400
Sub: Pioneer Ts-WH1000A

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

ChrisD27

I've owned my Levorg for less than a month and decided something had to be done about the stock speakers cos they were actually painful at moderate volumes on the ear. I upgraded speakers and and also 5 ch amp, installed today. Considering a sub in the near future. Went with Pioneer TS series, more than good enough for me. Stock HU still, not looking to change it. Want to maintain stock.

Only issue is now I have a light electrical hiss at mute or sound turned off (not static). This was not there with the stock setup. I brought this up when I picked up the car, but they said it had to do with the poor electronics of the stock head unit. I'm a little disappointed. It is slightly annoying as anytime you are driving the car without sound there is a slight hiss emanating from the speakers in the background. Not distracting, but not exactly what u want after an upgrade! And this was an experienced car Audio shop who have done the set up very nicely.

Has anyone else who has done speaker and amp upgrades but left the HU as it is experienced the same? Any advise? It's bugging me a little.
Question for you Arctic Fennec, I'm assuming you installed the component set in the front, did you have to come up with spacers or were they a fairly direct fit? And did the components fit under the front grills near the windscreen? Haven't started pulling anything apart yet.

ozkan bicer

well, you will need spacers for the door speakers and some sort of mounting kit for the tweeters in the dash. The space in the dash can take max. 3 cm wide tweeters.

Arctic Fennec

Hi Chris,
I did check with the installers about this before the job was done. No spacers are needed. The stock speakers are glued to the frames and had to be cut out and are not salvageable.

The replacement speakers including the tweeters are simply screwed onto the existing frame.

Sound is infinitely better now, only issue is even at the lowest gps volume the directions are annoyingly loud. And user input beeps if you have these on. I guess to be expected when you install an amp.

Last edited:

Arctic Fennec

Anyone in Oz who has done a slimline subwoofer in the back?
What did you use to keep the subwoofer in place without moving? Installer recommended double sided Velcro, but I'm not sure if that will be strong enough and also want want to keep it removable and the cargo bay unmolested as much as possible. This is the sub I have in there on a genuine plastic liner at the moment. Subs already fallen over once during heavy acceleration. As you can see it's thin and top heavy and the contact patch with the reclining rear seat would be minimal and at an angle. Am i asking for too much?

http://www.kicker.com/comprt-10-subwoofer-box

Also although can't hear from the inside, the top screwed down license plates out back vibrate madly now. Any products you know about to line the back of the plates to minimise vibration? Something that's tested weatherproof and tough enough to last in the Aussie sun? I really don't want to be scratching off melted foam/ rubber off my Levorg cos it's not meant for harsh outdoor use and can't last.

Thanks!

Dee

anchor it to the child anchor points. Have hook(s) on the back of the box that can attach to the child anchor points.

have you tried sound deadening the back tail gate?

ozkan bicer

the area under the back seats and the trunk has no sound deadening other than some dynamat kinda material. I would start with those first and then the gate.

Arctic Fennec

Thanks Dee, that's not a bad idea. I'll see what I can put together to keep it secured to the general area and stop it falling over under hard acceleration.

I don't rather not open up the back to sound deaden it. The car holds the bass in fairly decently and it's just the license plate that rattles. I'd like to keep the mods smart and minimal where possible.

I might order a dynamat license plate kit off Amazon.