1.6l Levorg Running FA20 Turbocharger - Mad Science Experiment

mvpluidex

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT
Hi Guys!

So, over the weekend I was crazy enough to install a used FA20 turbo (MGT2259S) onto my 1.6l Levorg (comes stock with the MGT1549S). This was primarily necessitated by the bottleneck of exhaust flow on the stock turbo especially at altitude (5500ft/1650m ASL), where the stock turbo doesn't maintain anything over 0.7/0.8 bar of boost at 4000+ RPM.
On initial observation between the two turbos, it is immediately apparent that, though the overall housing size is identical, the turbines and compressors are significantly different in size. See compressor side in the image below:
1696795619173.png
The one below is the FB16 stock turbo, notice how the compressor blades are smaller on it. Gets even worse when you look at the exhaust side.

Aside from this upgrade I am also running an AEM intake and 3" full exhaust. Tuner will be doing some work on it next week so waiting to see how that goes, but expecting top end torque to grow drastically. Not planning on running significantly more torque, just trying to shift the torque curve forward by about 1000rpm to in turn unlock more horsepower (can't expect too much from the stock CVT)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but this must be the first turbo swap of it's kind in the world? (●'◡'●)

lucavolta

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg GT-S
I'm very interested, I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 2016 GT-S (I swapped the CVT with the 2018 WRX STI transmission). Are the fixing holes the same? Like HP and torque what does the tuner expect?

mvpluidex

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT
I'm very interested, I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 2016 GT-S (I swapped the CVT with the 2018 WRX STI transmission). Are the fixing holes the same? Like HP and torque what does the tuner expect?
So been running the car for about a day now, all I can say is it is a night and day difference between the MGT2259S and the stock 1.6l turbo. Was previously boosting at 0.7-0.8 bar above 4500rpm, right now the car holds 1.2-1.3 bar all the way to redline (at 1650m ASL). This is precisely how the car should have come from the factory. Other mods include intake, 3" decat exhaust and engine oil cooler.

Everything is plug-and-play between the two turbos, the only difference might be with the turbo sumps but even those seem very similar if not identical.

Curious to know how you were able to swap out your transmission for a manual, how smooth was the process? Any supporting wiring you had to do to achieve it? I'm looking to either do a manual swap or get a bigger TR690 to handle all the extra torque reliably.

lucavolta

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg GT-S
With a mechanic near me we did the MT Swap. He find a full WRX STI 2018 Transmission (Gearbox, Axles, Rear Diff, Transmission Shaft), and I find the pedals and the center console. For the mechanical part is plug and play but for the WRX STI driveshaft we had to do a 30mm plate to fit.
For the electronic parts he did a relays box that do the AT Shift, when I pull the E-Brake the car goes in P, when I remove the E-Brake the car goes in D.
I drive the car for 3000Km after the swap and It's totally different from the CVT.
The only cons is the 1.6L because we can't do much HP (200HP max) because the small turbo and the delicate bushings of the engine.

If you want also write me on instagram @luca_voltarel

You can find some photos on the attached link Manual Swap Photos

Last edited:

lucavolta

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg GT-S
So been running the car for about a day now, all I can say is it is a night and day difference between the MGT2259S and the stock 1.6l turbo. Was previously boosting at 0.7-0.8 bar above 4500rpm, right now the car holds 1.2-1.3 bar all the way to redline (at 1650m ASL). This is precisely how the car should have come from the factory. Other mods include intake, 3" decat exhaust and engine oil cooler.

Everything is plug-and-play between the two turbos, the only difference might be with the turbo sumps but even those seem very similar if not identical.

Curious to know how you were able to swap out your transmission for a manual, how smooth was the process? Any supporting wiring you had to do to achieve it? I'm looking to either do a manual swap or get a bigger TR690 to handle all the extra torque reliably.
How much HP and Torque now you have? The tuner is quiet about the reliability of the engine?

mvpluidex

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT
With a mechanic near me we did the MT Swap. He find a full WRX STI 2018 Transmission (Gearbox, Axles, Rear Diff, Transmission Shaft), and I find the pedals and the center console. For the mechanical part is plug and play but for the WRX STI driveshaft we had to do a 30mm plate to fit.
For the electronic parts he did a relays box that do the AT Shift, when I pull the E-Brake the car goes in P, when I remove the E-Brake the car goes in D.
I drive the car for 3000Km after the swap and It's totally different from the CVT.
The only cons is the 1.6L because we can't do much HP (200HP max) because the small turbo and the delicate bushings of the engine.

If you want also write me on instagram @luca_voltarel

You can find some photos on the attached link Manual Swap Photos
Very interesting transmission swap! Will share this with my mechanic to explore the options. But ideally it would need almost a full donor car? I would imagine the WRX FA20 6 speed would be easier to swap in?

Regarding reliability of the engine, the tuner has set the boost and timing relatively conservatively, in fact we are going to work on a race tune that should work with a race fuel blend to give more torque/advanced timing, which means there is still headroom for some performance. As long as you're running clean fuel and keeping your engine oil temperatures/condition in check you should be OK.

lucavolta

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg GT-S
In Italy we don't have the WRX FA20 so we only considered a WRX STI trans because the shipping cost of a WRX trans would have been very high. I remember that it is the same external case, if I'm not mistaken, as the WRX and WRX STI. No, you need: gearbox, axles, driveshaft, rear differential, clutch and brake pedal, some screws, clutch and flywheel.

I buy a GT2259S turbo and I will install it on mine, my doubt is the reliability, in Italy we have 100 octane petrol and I use the car daily, so I have to remain cautious

lucavolta

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg GT-S
Very interesting transmission swap! Will share this with my mechanic to explore the options. But ideally it would need almost a full donor car? I would imagine the WRX FA20 6 speed would be easier to swap in?

Regarding reliability of the engine, the tuner has set the boost and timing relatively conservatively, in fact we are going to work on a race tune that should work with a race fuel blend to give more torque/advanced timing, which means there is still headroom for some performance. As long as you're running clean fuel and keeping your engine oil temperatures/condition in check you should be OK.
Can you please send me some photos about the oil cooler that you install?

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
In Italy we don't have the WRX FA20 so we only considered a WRX STI trans because the shipping cost of a WRX trans would have been very high. I remember that it is the same external case, if I'm not mistaken, as the WRX and WRX STI. No, you need: gearbox, axles, driveshaft, rear differential, clutch and brake pedal, some screws, clutch and flywheel.

I buy a GT2259S turbo and I will install it on mine, my doubt is the reliability, in Italy we have 100 octane petrol and I use the car daily, so I have to remain cautious
The FA20 turbo engine is very common in Europe, you can search the Subaru Forester xt (sj model) from 2013 to 2018. The FA20F is paired to the TR690 cvt trans.
The GT2259S turbo swap is very interesting however the torque and hp lag should be noticeable. Maybe i prefer an smaller turbo and do not loose power on low revs.

mvpluidex

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT
Can you please send me some photos about the oil cooler that you install?
Mine is the Mishimoto non-thermostatic engine oil cooler. Works very well for my use case, oil temps never go above 100 C except in very hard/hot and prolonged driving scenarios. Previously oil never run cooler than 100 C even when driving lightly.

1698783956791.png

mvpluidex

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT

The good thing about the big turbo from my brief experience is the engine does not have to work as hard to give you a certain power output. I coast at 3-4k RPM and stock Levorgs can't keep up with me. The better exhaust flow improves heat management and makes both the engine and turbo more efficient. 0.7 bar on the bigger turbo feels much more responsive and alive than 0.7 bar on the smaller turbo.

We did a power estimation with the tuner at 1650m altitude (5200ft ASL) and power output is estimated at 230hp and 320Nm on road dyno at 28 C ambient temperature. Numbers should be closer to 250hp and 350Nm at lower altitude and temperatures. And this is with boost limited to 1.3 bar, turbo is capable of much higher peak boost.

mvpluidex

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT
The FA20 turbo engine is very common in Europe, you can search the Subaru Forester xt (sj model) from 2013 to 2018. The FA20F is paired to the TR690 cvt trans.
The GT2259S turbo swap is very interesting however the torque and hp lag should be noticeable. Maybe i prefer an smaller turbo and do not loose power on low revs.
You'll be surprised that the turbo is able to boost at less than 3k RPM, I thought the same thing about lag before swapping, but after the swap I can say it was the right move. Of course the bigger turbo takes slightly longer to spool, but once it does the engine comes alive in a way not comparable with the previous turbo. Maybe it has something to do with the twin scroll magic.

For the OEM setup those numbers are only achievable at low altitude and temperature. Where I live is very high altitude so the stock turbo really struggled with maintaining 1bar + boost target.

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
You'll be surprised that the turbo is able to boost at less than 3k RPM, I thought the same thing about lag before swapping, but after the swap I can say it was the right move. Of course the bigger turbo takes slightly longer to spool, but once it does the engine comes alive in a way not comparable with the previous turbo. Maybe it has something to do with the twin scroll magic.

For the OEM setup those numbers are only achievable at low altitude and temperature. Where I live is very high altitude so the stock turbo really struggled with maintaining 1bar + boost target.
Can you upload a video from 0 to 100km/h??
I wish see the turbo lag... I am thinking in your turbo or hybrid mine...

Raid_Renegade

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG

Aaaaahhhh the mad scientist does it again..... Guys the 2.0l turbo installed in his 1.6l makes his car way faster than before. I saw it with my own eyes. I have the 2.0l levorg and i saw a big jump in his power levels.

Tommygtt

Vehicle(s)
Levorg!
Aaaaahhhh the mad scientist does it again..... Guys the 2.0l turbo installed in his 1.6l makes his car way faster than before. I saw it with my own eyes. I have the 2.0l levorg and i saw a big jump in his power levels.
Do you own the 2.0t??
How the 1.6t feels at low rpm??
You could compare both in a closed road hahahaha
Thanks friend!

lucavolta

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg GT-S
Excellent, I would be very interested in seeing a mapping graph and understanding the peak pressure of the turbo and whether the engine can be damaged prematurely in the long run

Raid_Renegade

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg VMG
Yea mines a 2.0 t ,its good but hella sensitive needs some love and care. However, I'm conformable with power and for hard prolonged spirited driving the oil cooler comes good.
Not driven a 1.6 so far.
I don't think there's a a comparison stock to stock... but 1.6tuned to 2.0 stock there may be a case.