Replacing the crappy Head unit

Discussion in 'Subaru Levorg Modifcations' started by ozkan bicer, Dec 13, 2015.

1. ozkan bicer

ozkan bicer Active Member

Likes Earned:
    I have installed Helix C63C 3 way speakers in front and C62C 2 way component speakers in the rear. The HU I have now is a Kenwood DDX9017S and Helix P6 amplifier. I had a Subwoofer in trunk but removed it. I might install a spare wheel type active subwoofer later. I dont like traveling with a box in trunk. Tweeters and mids fit in the dash area. You will make small modifications under the grill, nothing visible though.

2. Luke Rado

Luke Rado New Member

Likes Earned:
    Carbon car systems seem to have some pretty good kits for Subaru’s in general and some YouTube install vids... got my Thinkware dash cam from there and it was easy to install ( once I figured out the B+ fuse to wire to lol)

3. Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo New Member

Likes Earned:
    So just got a delightful 2018 2.0 GTS the other day, sound is already feeling a bit lack luster. Not going to jump into changing it up too much straight away, but have people found just deadening and some decent speakers in the front are helping?

4. Garry

Garry New Member

Likes Earned:
    Scooby, I’ve done the sound deadening and speaker upgrade. Well worth it.

5. Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo New Member

Likes Earned:
    Thanks a heap mate.

Been a good while since I've been doing car audio, given you are in AU also, any suggestions on brands for both?

Cheers,
    Nick

6. Garry

Garry New Member

Likes Earned:
    My local (Wagga Car Radio), had a set of Morel Tempos for the front and Morel Maximo in the back on special. There a few options for sound deadening, WCR use dynamat for the sheeting and soundskins rings around the speakers. I hear the soundskins sheeting is pretty good too. Unless you are handy and willing to pull off door panels, it can be DIY. I got the my local to do it all in one hit. Saves on labor costs done at the same time.
    The guy at WCR commented that the headunit isn't too bad and can power the 100w-90w speakers well and the wiring is enough to run the 100w speakers.
    I will be upgrading the headunit to a kenwood Apple Car play system with a under seat sub soon. Carbon Car Systems make a wire kit and USB replacement for the levorg. I'll probably get those from there, new fascia off ebay and headunit from whoever has it on special.

7. Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo New Member

Likes Earned:
    Thanks mate.

Yeah did all the sound work on my last two liberties, so no issues there. Sound deading is just a sit down with some tunes, beer and a heat gun for an arvo I've found.

Sweet will start looking into that.

I saw the Carbon Car Systems stuff, may do a bit of saving for that, but please let me know how you go/take photos as it will be interesting to see what functionality we actually get to keep/lose :p.

Cheers,
    Nick