Replacing the crappy Head unit

nicodache

Replaced the factory headunit with the IDoing PX6 thing.

For those who'd wanna try this, a few recommendations ;
  • check out this vid - they explain all the stuff to do, and you get to see how they struggle to fit the thing in the dash.
  • my step by step :D
    1. take out the vents control units, remove the old head unit
    2. remove the new head unit from the fascia (4 plastic screws that hold it from the rear - the tablet thing will drop from the front), so that you have the empty fascia
    3. try & fit the empty fascia, so you can see pinch points, where to press, how hard to press, if anything needs shaving.
    4. with the new head unit, confirm what adapter harness bit you need, plug it all, connect all the audio/gps/4G/dab+/other stuff you need (pay attention not to scratch that tablet screen). it's easier to do than with that HU in the large fascia.
    5. tuck away any in-dash factory cable you're not gonna use (typically factory GPS antenna cable, factory dashboard USB cable, factory mic)
    6. assemble the new fascia (put tablet back in, install climate controls, install vents, hazard lights and gizmo screen controls)
    7. put some silicone lube on the dash, where the fascia clips will live. rub it in with your toes (because you want to keep your fingers clean) so clipping the fascia in place is that much easier
    8. connect all the cables.
      • I recommend routing the mic cable to the driver side so you can tuck it next to steering wheel, or move it along A pillar and get it out near the sun visor
      • USB, GPS, other (4G/DAB+/dashcam) would go to passenger side as it's easier to run & tuck and pop out on A pillar than on driver side with all the crap under the dash.
    9. slide/press/clip the fascia in place as horizontally as possible.
      • clipping the bottom first will have you struggle to fit the vents under/inside the dash, and align them with the climate ducts
      • clipping at the tops will have you fight with the sturdy clips on the climate controls side
    10. set up the thing (steering wheel buttons etc)
additional notes :
  • consider where you put your aerials
    • DAB+ or FM should live as high as possible, away from sheetmetal/bodywork, as the transmitter will be a few KMs away at 50m above the ground.
    • GPS should live with a clear view from the sky.
  • those Idoing/seicane/similar chinese HU come with a somewhat older android (mine is a 10 with latest security patch from May 2020 and has no update available after that. I purchased it in June 2021). This security update situation will prevent application updates overtimes, and will leave your android HU vulnerable to new attack vectors (and as android is much more used than Subaru own platform, it's a more interesting target to attack)
  • With that security considered, I created myself a second gmail account, only for that device. I can thus have a clear separation between my usual account, and the account only used for my car, with the specific car applications (DAB stuff, GPS stuff, OBD stuff, bluetooth stuff, etc).
1200_IMG_20210815_202638.jpg

Wolvo

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S
Nice big improvement what about sound quality

nicodache

Only really tried FM - I would say sound quality is better, but HU is more sensible to signal quality.
But I don't know if this is placebo effect :)

I also haven't checked yet the front/rear speaker bias (that you could set up deep in the factory HU - I haven't looked for that stuff in this one yet).

HTH :)

shmity

Hi guys,
Has anyone (specifically guys from AU I guess) got a way of identifying the Harman Kardon package? I have a MY17 without any HK branding on the speaker grills, but my stock headunit is a starlink nav unit. Before I start pulling things apart is there any other external way of IDing the unit?

Edit: Subaru NZ seems to clarify, I'd assume that it's the same for AU as well

Last edited:

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
The Harmon Kardon speakers were an optional extra I believe, I have the same car and have changed the speakers. Paul on this forum has the tweeters for sale if you want to upgrade them?

shmity

Thanks robo. Ill get the HU swap done first and then worry about the speakers.

edit: its still confusing from the details I can find online but it looks like theres been two HK packages. 2016-2018 - the standard and starlink/nav HU by Subaru with an optional HK speaker upgrade and 2019-2020 with standard subaru or HK headunit options.

From what i can tell the 2016-2018 HU are both fine to upgrade, no extra amp involved. Unclear if the HK speaker upgrade brings any problems in.
2019-2020 - standard HU is fine to swap, HK headunit comes with an amp that cant be by-passed easily and creates headaches without extra hardware.

Last edited:

Stockysan

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S
The thing is that I'd like to keep the stock aspect of my dashboard, and as I have the builtin GPS thing, a regular 2din HU is going to look horrendous.

Now, if you tell me Pioneer/Sony/Alpine have a model for Levorg with the fascia, I'd be interested in knowing more :cool:
They do :
https://www.alpine.com.au/shop/perfect-fit-solutions/subaru/car-solutions-compatible-with-subaru-levorg-2016-2019-vi/x308au-levorg/

But I don't like the price or the fact that it says it is only Bluetooth v 2.1

Stockysan

Vehicle(s)
Levorg GT-S
Bit of a thread revival here, but has anyone got the Idoing or Joying had units installed and can report on how they ended up liking them? I am interested in usability and everything, but also sound quality, and if you think the sound is not up to almost "brand name" quality levels etc, can it be fixed with amplifiers and speakers, or is it just a poor quality sound signal that can't be fixed.

I am also keen to know if anyone knows what is best out of Seicane, Idoing, Joying etc, or if they are all really the same, or if there is a better alternative.

Any help appreciated.