UK levorg updates

Kash

Soooo....the levorg is back in the UK but only with the 2.0 nat asp engine and no bonnet scoop...booo!

The only upside being that the media unit will now have android auto and carplay.

Vehicle(s)
Subaru Levorg 1.6 GT with STI body kit 2016 (17 plate)
Soooo....the levorg is back in the UK but only with the 2.0 nat asp engine and no bonnet scoop...booo!

The only upside being that the media unit will now have android auto and carplay.
Yeah, Subaru UK won't publish the performance figures, only the fuel consumption which is respectable. However, I managed to track them down (thanks to the word wide web) 0-62 m.p.h. in 11.7 seconds puts a different spin on performance now, doesn't it?
I'll be sticking with my 1.6 turbo, thanks.

Vehicle(s)
Yeah, Subaru UK won't publish the performance figures, only the fuel consumption which is respectable. However, I managed to track them down (thanks to the word wide web) 0-62 m.p.h. in 11.7 seconds puts a different spin on performance now, doesn't it?
I'll be sticking with my 1.6 turbo, thanks.
I came across the new Levorg 2.0 N/A review on a UK site called Motorparks. According to them it runs a 0-62 time similar to the 1.6 of 8.9 seconds. Not so bad then.
But I still suspect that its overtaking performance won't be much to shout home about. It's still down on horsepower and torque compared to the old 1.6 turbo engine. Which is still available to the Australian car market as well as the 2.0 turbo (STI) and the 2.0 N/A engines.

nicodache

Considering it's down on horsepower by 20hp, and on torque by too much, I do believe they just copy-pasted the 1.6 turbo numbers.
unless the CVT in the turbo was set up to protect itself, and they can now unleash it to fully take advantage of the meager torque of the NA 2.0 (which it doesn't really feel to be the case when I drive mine), I can't see how they could manage the same 0-60 time...

Any of you would know of the 0-60 time of a car with similar set up ? ~150hp, around the same torque figures, same 1.6T weight, Auto/CVT/DSG/DCT box, etc...

Vehicle(s)
Considering it's down on horsepower by 20hp, and on torque by too much, I do believe they just copy-pasted the 1.6 turbo numbers.
unless the CVT in the turbo was set up to protect itself, and they can now unleash it to fully take advantage of the meager torque of the NA 2.0 (which it doesn't really feel to be the case when I drive mine), I can't see how they could manage the same 0-60 time...

Any of you would know of the 0-60 time of a car with similar set up ? ~150hp, around the same torque figures, same 1.6T weight, Auto/CVT/DSG/DCT box, etc...[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Vehicle(s)
I vaguely recall (and I'm sure that it was on this forum) that the CVT gearbox was the limiting factor in the way that the 1.6 Levorg performed. But it had a safety margin of up to 30 BHP.
And that Subaru had put in place engineering software so that the CVT gearbox wasn't overstretched. So likewise, it's possible for Subaru to engineer the software to make the 2.0 N/A engine accelerate to 62 MPH at a similar rate to the 1.6 Turbo.

But I suspect that you're right Nicodache, the 0-62 sprint figure's most likely copied from the 1.6 Turbo's data, especially as no car magazine in the UK seems to be rushing to grant the car a full road test.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Vehicle(s)
The I newspaper motoring column in the UK have road tested the 2.0 N/A Levorg, and the reviewer... liked it! He actually preferred it to the previous 1.6 turbo model that he tested a few years before. He still stated a 0-62 time of 8.9 seconds for it though. A figure I suspect that, and including many other owners are finding hard to swallow on a engine that produces less horsepower and torque than the 1.6 turbo unit. But it's the first all round full positive review that I've read in the UK from the cars introduction in the UK.

Last edited:

Kash

Can't remember where you're based Kash, but if you're ever in the Glasgow area am happy for you to take mine for a spin and see what you think. Alternatively I spend regular weekends with family in Leicester so doing it there is fine by me too. Am there this weekend in fact. Likely to be there a weekend every month or two.

Am usually passing through the M74/M6/A50 on the Glasgow-Leicester run but that is in the god-forsaken hours and with family in the back so a test drive would be awkward along the way, would need to be at either end if that works for you.

It's been a long journey moo

Am also planning on being in London in September maybe October, if that is where you are.

Anyway let me know.

fyi - I used to own a Volvo, I always liked them as "king of wagons" but they are horrible to drive imho. I discovered a Subaru when some "little Japanese thing" absolutely spanked my lovely "new Volvo All Wheel Drive V70" I fell in love with them and never went back. There is "AWD" and then there is Subaru AWD.
Must say the new Volvo shapes are to die for, though :) However the previous V90 was like driving a boat, but I heard the current model is way better.

Petrol is hard to find, diesels are being given away at the moment, my brother in law picked up a steal that way. Interestingly my permanent 4WD Levorg (Volvo is part-time*) petrol gives better mileage than his (1 year old) diesel V90. And that isnt even an "R" drinking all the fuel.

I am seriously considering importing a Levorg 2.0 sometime - cheaper in from Japan anyway, just can't be bothered with the hassle of the conversion. Even the Aussie conversion may be a pain (km to miles). The Racing Blue STI looks fab and the extra power probably sorts the CVT out too.

*the Volvo V70 part-time AWD used to freak me out - to save on fuel it only spins up using a cheap Haldex coupling when you lose traction. Most of the German jobs do that now unless you pay through the nose for a top model, even the much-vaunted Quattro is faked in the cheaper models. Meant my wagon was scrambling around for traction *after* it had slipped - which was way too late - flashing lights on the dashboard, klaxons sounding, the works. Meanwhile the permanent AWD Scoobie had whipped me and was gone. Sigh - even in the car industry fashion wins over function. No wonder they "don't get" the Levorg.
It's been a long time moojy and inbetween I bought a totally unsuitable Bmw m140i which I have never liked...just not me at all and a moment of madness.

just ordered a Subaru xv premium we instead!

looking forwards to starting my Scooby adventures...

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
It's been a long time moojy and inbetween I bought a totally unsuitable Bmw m140i which I have never liked...just not me at all and a moment of madness.

just ordered a Subaru xv premium we instead!

looking forwards to starting my Scooby adventures...
Congrats. What made you go for an XV rather than Levorg? Off-road capability?

Kash

Congrats. What made you go for an XV rather than Levorg? Off-road capability?

I really liked the levorg but yes,I now need a car with more ground clearance and a higher seating position for my wife who has knee problems....plus I wanted the updated entertainment system with Android auto which I love.

the final point was that I just couldn't get one of the latest levorg for anything like the same price as the xv and there are just no 2018 versions on the market.

so decisions made!

Arkatee

Vehicle(s)
Levorg 1.6 GT, Forester SF, Mazda MX5
I really liked the levorg but yes,I now need a car with more ground clearance and a higher seating position for my wife who has knee problems....plus I wanted the updated entertainment system with Android auto which I love.

the final point was that I just couldn't get one of the latest levorg for anything like the same price as the xv and there are just no 2018 versions on the market.

so decisions made!
I had a new XV 2L for a day last year whilst my Outback was having the airbag recall done. Very good car, I really liked it a lot, but it was simply not big enough for my needs.

Vehicle(s)

so decisions made![/QUOTE
How do you find the performance of the XV? I was originally after a 2.0XV SE, but my previous Subaru was the Impreza 2.0 Hawkeye model. The Levorg had comparable performance figures to it whereas various road testers in the magazines kept going on about its acceleration being blunted by the CVT gearbox. Ironically, the latest model, the 154 BHP one, Auto Express road tested it (21st April 2018) against a couple other cars and got its 0-62 time down to 8.7 seconds against the Mitsubishi Eclipse and the Skoda Karoq. No other publication has managed that, in fact, even Subaru concur with all other publications with its 10.4 seconds to 62 MPH. On saying that, I've just re read the article. that 8.7 seconds is to 60 MPH, maybe that artificial gearchange in the CVT software loses it momentum hence the 10.4 to 62 MPH?
I've never driven one, the road test in the Levorg won me over. I just wished that Subaru had installed the 1.6 DIT engine in the XV. With the emissions tax scheme that operates in the UK, those extra 8 grams of yuk wasn't going to make much difference to the fines that Subaru are most likely to pay. And it would have given them a halo car for us who remember their rallying heritage something to cling on to. :D

Kash

Sooooo,thinking of changing my XV for a levorg at my supplying dealer who has a nice one in,I think I’ll have to scratch my itch!

Vehicle(s)
Sooooo,thinking of changing my XV for a levorg at my supplying dealer who has a nice one in,I think I’ll have to scratch my itch!
What a lovely itch to have, Kash ;)
Make no mistake, the Levorg is a very nice car and unless you get the premium spec XV, the Levorg is not only a plusher car inside, it's performance is closer to the turbo'd Subaru of old.
And so is it's fuel consumption! At least under my right foot.
Personally I like my Levorg, I can put up with 18 - 24 mpg urban (depending on how cold it is) I can't put up with struggling to find a parking space big enough for it. And now that the family has grown and my daughter is one step away from buying her own car, it's oversized for my purposes.
And I'm being made redundant in the New Year with little prospect of picking up full time employment at my age and health.
Nothing worse than losing the car that you love but can't afford to run, so I think that I'll trade it for something smaller and cheaper to run. :(

Kash

What a lovely itch to have, Kash ;)
Make no mistake, the Levorg is a very nice car and unless you get the premium spec XV, the Levorg is not only a plusher car inside, it's performance is closer to the turbo'd Subaru of old.
And so is it's fuel consumption! At least under my right foot.
Personally I like my Levorg, I can put up with 18 - 24 mpg urban (depending on how cold it is) I can't put up with struggling to find a parking space big enough for it. And now that the family has grown and my daughter is one step away from buying her own car, it's oversized for my purposes.
And I'm being made redundant in the New Year with little prospect of picking up full time employment at my age and health.
Nothing worse than losing the car that you love but can't afford to run, so I think that I'll trade it for something smaller and cheaper to run. :(
Sorry to hear that mate and that you may have to let the levorg go too.

Good to hear you have enjoyed it tho (and moojy,I’m not sure if he is still about on here?)

The dealer has offered me a good deal,the levorg is older than my XV but it has half the mileage and is immaculate do ive just got to sell it to the wife!

All the best and hope the job situation turns out for the better in the end

Kash

My wife’s knee is ok now too which prevented me from getting one before!

Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear that mate and that you may have to let the levorg go too.

Good to hear you have enjoyed it tho (and moojy,I’m not sure if he is still about on here?)

The dealer has offered me a good deal,the levorg is older than my XV but it has half the mileage and is immaculate do ive just got to sell it to the wife!

All the best and hope the job situation turns out for the better in the end
Thank you Kash.
The thought of seeing my ex pride and joy ragged around my area would surely kill me. I'll wait and see what my prospects of reemployment holds. If it's the pits, I'll trade it well out of my city, and hopefully, like my other Impreza's, I'll never see it again.
But apart from lacking the sunroof (never officially standard on UK models), the eyesight system and reversing sensors, which if I can afford to keep the car, I'll get my dealer to fit and just chip it for a little more oomph. I like it that much, mine is blue steel grey, a colour no longer offered.
By the way, I don't know where in the world you are, but in the UK, Subaru have reduced the range of cars that their customers can buy.
And the new MY2021 Levorg hasn't been offered to European markets, yet... o_O

By the way, I don't know where in the world you are, but in the UK, Subaru have reduced the range of cars that their customers can buy.
And the new MY2021 Levorg hasn't been offered to European markets, yet... o_O
It's the same here in Sweden: right now, all we get are the XV, Forester, and Outback. The MY2022 Levorg will return, because after Volvo Subaru's biggest competition here is the Volkswagen Group. The Forester competes with the Golf Alltrack / Octavia Scout, while the Forester and Outback compete with the Passat Alltrack. Sadly the importers think we are too boring and sensible for the BRZ or WRX. :rolleyes:

Vehicle(s)
It's the same here in Sweden: right now, all we get are the XV, Forester, and Outback. The MY2022 Levorg will return, because after Volvo Subaru's biggest competition here is the Volkswagen Group. The Forester competes with the Golf Alltrack / Octavia Scout, while the Forester and Outback compete with the Passat Alltrack. Sadly the importers think we are too boring and sensible for the BRZ or WRX. :rolleyes:
Subaru UK has only shifted 991 cars so far since March 2020 to date. Some motoring magazines here are speculating that sooner or later, Subaru will be withdrawing from the UK market after Mitsubishi Motors. And being unable to supply or unwilling to import vehicles that can compete with other manufacturers who can supply 4x4 drive vehicles (albeit mostly part time on demand) with better economy and performance, Subaru just doesn't figure anymore near the top of the list of the average car buyer, unfortunately.