My experience with R5 Racing coilovers

MarkMelbourne

Vehicle(s)
MY18 GT-S, Mazda2
A few months back I went down the suspension upgrade path, and was recommended R5 Racing coilovers, as the factory would be able to customise the product to my ask, which was for a comfort solution and being able to tow a camper trailer.

The result was disappointing. With heavy springs fitted to compensate for the towing, at ‘no load’ the suspension was very rough, jostling the driver about over road imperfections. In fairness, I never did hitch up a 1ton+ trailer, I’m sure the ride would have been totally different.

In the end I realised I was trying to get Levorg to be a hot Outback or Forester, which it never will be. There just isn’t enough suspension travel available, so it’s always going to suit sports handling. DHF tyres were very kind to agree to reverse the changes for a modest fee.

I have two pieces of advice for those considering a similar route: Firstly, speak to other owners and choose a proven solution. Some owners are very happy with the MCA product. Second, don’t expect a softer ride then stock: whatever coilover you fit, the ride will be significantly firmer, even if described as 'comfort'.

If none of this has put you off and you are looking to get into coilovers at a discount, have a chat to Dinuka at DHF tyres (Hallam, Vic). He has a set of all but new R5 coilovers (with camber adjustment) he needs to move. If you can wait while ‘normal’ springs are ordered and fitted to this set, I think you would have awesome adjustable sports suspension for good roads or the track, at a very nice price.

Guvna

Vehicle(s)
MY17 Subaru Levorg 2.0LTR GTS
A few months back I went down the suspension upgrade path, and was recommended R5 Racing coilovers, as the factory would be able to customise the product to my ask, which was for a comfort solution and being able to tow a camper trailer.

The result was disappointing. With heavy springs fitted to compensate for the towing, at ‘no load’ the suspension was very rough, jostling the driver about over road imperfections. In fairness, I never did hitch up a 1ton+ trailer, I’m sure the ride would have been totally different.

In the end I realised I was trying to get Levorg to be a hot Outback or Forester, which it never will be. There just isn’t enough suspension travel available, so it’s always going to suit sports handling. DHF tyres were very kind to agree to reverse the changes for a modest fee.

I have two pieces of advice for those considering a similar route: Firstly, speak to other owners and choose a proven solution. Some owners are very happy with the MCA product. Second, don’t expect a softer ride then stock: whatever coilover you fit, the ride will be significantly firmer, even if described as 'comfort'.

If none of this has put you off and you are looking to get into coilovers at a discount, have a chat to Dinuka at DHF tyres (Hallam, Vic). He has a set of all but new R5 coilovers (with camber adjustment) he needs to move. If you can wait while ‘normal’ springs are ordered and fitted to this set, I think you would have awesome adjustable sports suspension for good roads or the track, at a very nice price.
That's a shame it didn't work out for you man. What are you looking at doing now? Gunna try something else or just leave it stock again? I was unable to leave mine stock, I put up with it for three years but didn't enjoy NOT loving driving it anymore, so went with the MCA's as you know. Sux having to spend bickies on something you shouldn't have to, but in the long run, for me at least, I still feel it was worth it as I now drive a car I love again, rather than one I COULD love if it didn't handle so shit. Shit is harsh actually, stock still handles well, on good roads at least, though they are few and far between in Aust, it was the front end Banging that I hated, it was almost painful and made the car feel like a piece of shit, which it isn't. As I don't mind the stiff sporty feel (and by don't mind I mean LOVE) I'm happy with the car again.

robo498

Vehicle(s)
My17
That's a shame it didn't work out for you man. What are you looking at doing now? Gunna try something else or just leave it stock again? I was unable to leave mine stock, I put up with it for three years but didn't enjoy NOT loving driving it anymore, so went with the MCA's as you know. Sux having to spend bickies on something you shouldn't have to, but in the long run, for me at least, I still feel it was worth it as I now drive a car I love again, rather than one I COULD love if it didn't handle so shit. Shit is harsh actually, stock still handles well, on good roads at least, though they are few and far between in Aust, it was the front end Banging that I hated, it was almost painful and made the car feel like a piece of shit, which it isn't. As I don't mind the stiff sporty feel (and by don't mind I mean LOVE) I'm happy with the car again.
I'm with you, I have the MCA'S as well and love them. Mark has driven my car so he has an idea what they are like and what to expect from them.