UK levorg updates

Kash

I see that Australian levorg are now fitted with moving led headlights,cameras in the front grill and mirrors.....as far as I'm aware new UK levorg dont...

If that's the case,any one have any idea when these updates are being introduced?

Kash

This should really be in general discussion...my bad.

If a mod wishes to move it?

moojy

I get the feeling we won't see a UK update until 2019 which may very well be the Subaru Global Platform upgraded Levorg.
tbh I would like to see the 2.0L car come here the 1.6L does seem a bit asthmatic, remarkable though that little engine is.

Kash

I get the feeling we won't see a UK update until 2019 which may very well be the Subaru Global Platform upgraded Levorg.
tbh I would like to see the 2.0L car come here the 1.6L does seem a bit asthmatic, remarkable though that little engine is.
I went to test drive one at Subaru Kilburn and they told me that Subaru have stopped importing the levorg and won't be selling anymore once stocks have ran out (there was one unregistered levorg in the uk)

He said they sold very few and I'm buyers didn't "get them"

What a shame.

Kash

Having driven one,I was sadly quite disappointed with the performance of it...after an initially encouraging step off from standstill it's acceleration then felt pretty slow.

I'm sure a tuning box would help but the 2.0 is what was needed i think.

I thought it was a lovely car apart from that,very tight feeling and secure.

moojy

I had read the opposite - i.e. that they never had high expectations on numbers and so didnt care too much about that or whether the UK buyers understood the car or not, happy to plough their own furrow.
Perhaps the two comments are consistent though as they did the same with the STi (wound it down) and are planning on bringing it back but only in new form (=SGP)
The tuning box helps a little but not enough. tbh having driven it for 2 years now I dont actually think the power is the problem it is the sleepy transmission and I personally think that is a software thing as it can be quite responsive when it wants to be and a lot of the time it can just ignore you.
Shame cos tbh it is a very pacy car indeed - more grip and stability than my previous (lovely) 270bhp Impreza.
But the Levorg has no steering feel (and steering is a little heavy for me too) - again all deliberate configuration choices by Subaru I personally believe.

Under the Levorg there is an even more amazing car trying to get out and Subaru marketeers have said "no don't you dare, else we cannot try to appeal to boring audi/bmw/skoda users". Sadly it doent appeal to them anyway so I wish they would just let ProDrive adjust the suspension/steering/CVT box for UK driving and not dopey downtown Tokyo.

moojy

Kash

Seems the public announcements do put the UK Levorg at risk...
https://carbuzz.com/news/subaru-levorg-another-wagon-about-to-bite-the-dust

Though around the same time they announced the next gen WRX Estate (=new Levorg in all but name):
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/subaru/102647/subaru-viziv-tourer-concept-previews-wrx-estate-reboot

The SGP electrified platform is where they are heading. So there may very well be a disappearance of the UK Levorg until the SGP comeback.
I think that I'll have to put my purchase on hold until things become clearer...I think the 1.6 hasn't got quite enough performance for me at the minute (probably due to the transmission as you say )

I'll wait and see what becomes of the wrx sportwagon

moojy

Shame. I drove back from Oban to Glasgow couple weekends ago, had to take the windy uphill backroads because of an A82 closure. Car handled like a dream, really pacey and stable have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the drive (even though there was precious little steering feedback through the bends it was incredibly composed and predictable). And still got 36mpg.
Following weekend I had to make a journey from Leicester to Glasgow. Steady motorway drive including roadworks and I got an easy 41mpg. Almost 550 miles from a tank in a large permanent 4 wheel drive car. Impressive.
Guess all the compromises Subaru made was to get best of both worlds.

Kash

Shame. I drove back from Oban to Glasgow couple weekends ago, had to take the windy uphill backroads because of an A82 closure. Car handled like a dream, really pacey and stable have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the drive (even though there was precious little steering feedback through the bends it was incredibly composed and predictable). And still got 36mpg.
Following weekend I had to make a journey from Leicester to Glasgow. Steady motorway drive including roadworks and I got an easy 41mpg. Almost 550 miles from a tank in a large permanent 4 wheel drive car. Impressive.
Guess all the compromises Subaru made was to get best of both worlds.
I still really like the levorg as it's spec and features are absolutely ideal for me,I was just disappointed with its performance/gearbox action.

I really need to try one with the tuning box as another 30hp would probably do the trick.

I'm not after golf r figures but my Saab aero with 210bhp is perfect,performance wise,so if it was anywhere near to that I'd be happier.

As I said though,loved the levorg handling and feel and to be honest,the steering felt ok to me.

Kash

I don't think I can wait for the new levorg to come out anyway as I want to change the car in January...

I'm going to test drive the Volvo v90 r design too but it's considerably more expensive even at a year old..and petrol versions are like hen's teeth to find.

Last edited:

moojy

I still really like the levorg as it's spec and features are absolutely ideal for me,I was just disappointed with its performance/gearbox action.

I really need to try one with the tuning box as another 30hp would probably do the trick.

I'm not after golf r figures but my Saab aero with 210bhp is perfect,performance wise,so if it was anywhere near to that I'd be happier.

As I said though,loved the levorg handling and feel and to be honest,the steering felt ok to me.
Can't remember where you're based Kash, but if you're ever in the Glasgow area am happy for you to take mine for a spin and see what you think. Alternatively I spend regular weekends with family in Leicester so doing it there is fine by me too. Am there this weekend in fact. Likely to be there a weekend every month or two.

Am usually passing through the M74/M6/A50 on the Glasgow-Leicester run but that is in the god-forsaken hours and with family in the back so a test drive would be awkward along the way, would need to be at either end if that works for you.

Am also planning on being in London in September maybe October, if that is where you are.

Anyway let me know.

fyi - I used to own a Volvo, I always liked them as "king of wagons" but they are horrible to drive imho. I discovered a Subaru when some "little Japanese thing" absolutely spanked my lovely "new Volvo All Wheel Drive V70" I fell in love with them and never went back. There is "AWD" and then there is Subaru AWD.
Must say the new Volvo shapes are to die for, though :) However the previous V90 was like driving a boat, but I heard the current model is way better.

Petrol is hard to find, diesels are being given away at the moment, my brother in law picked up a steal that way. Interestingly my permanent 4WD Levorg (Volvo is part-time*) petrol gives better mileage than his (1 year old) diesel V90. And that isnt even an "R" drinking all the fuel.

I am seriously considering importing a Levorg 2.0 sometime - cheaper in from Japan anyway, just can't be bothered with the hassle of the conversion. Even the Aussie conversion may be a pain (km to miles). The Racing Blue STI looks fab and the extra power probably sorts the CVT out too.

*the Volvo V70 part-time AWD used to freak me out - to save on fuel it only spins up using a cheap Haldex coupling when you lose traction. Most of the German jobs do that now unless you pay through the nose for a top model, even the much-vaunted Quattro is faked in the cheaper models. Meant my wagon was scrambling around for traction *after* it had slipped - which was way too late - flashing lights on the dashboard, klaxons sounding, the works. Meanwhile the permanent AWD Scoobie had whipped me and was gone. Sigh - even in the car industry fashion wins over function. No wonder they "don't get" the Levorg.

Kash

Can't remember where you're based Kash, but if you're ever in the Glasgow area am happy for you to take mine for a spin and see what you think. Alternatively I spend regular weekends with family in Leicester so doing it there is fine by me too. Am there this weekend in fact. Likely to be there a weekend every month or two.

Am usually passing through the M74/M6/A50 on the Glasgow-Leicester run but that is in the god-forsaken hours and with family in the back so a test drive would be awkward along the way, would need to be at either end if that works for you.

Am also planning on being in London in September maybe October, if that is where you are.

Anyway let me know.

fyi - I used to own a Volvo, I always liked them as "king of wagons" but they are horrible to drive imho. I discovered a Subaru when some "little Japanese thing" absolutely spanked my lovely "new Volvo All Wheel Drive V70" I fell in love with them and never went back. There is "AWD" and then there is Subaru AWD.
Must say the new Volvo shapes are to die for, though :) However the previous V90 was like driving a boat, but I heard the current model is way better.

Petrol is hard to find, diesels are being given away at the moment, my brother in law picked up a steal that way. Interestingly my permanent 4WD Levorg (Volvo is part-time*) petrol gives better mileage than his (1 year old) diesel V90. And that isnt even an "R" drinking all the fuel.

I am seriously considering importing a Levorg 2.0 sometime - cheaper in from Japan anyway, just can't be bothered with the hassle of the conversion. Even the Aussie conversion may be a pain (km to miles). The Racing Blue STI looks fab and the extra power probably sorts the CVT out too.

*the Volvo V70 part-time AWD used to freak me out - to save on fuel it only spins up using a cheap Haldex coupling when you lose traction. Most of the German jobs do that now unless you pay through the nose for a top model, even the much-vaunted Quattro is faked in the cheaper models. Meant my wagon was scrambling around for traction *after* it had slipped - which was way too late - flashing lights on the dashboard, klaxons sounding, the works. Meanwhile the permanent AWD Scoobie had whipped me and was gone. Sigh - even in the car industry fashion wins over function. No wonder they "don't get" the Levorg.
Cheers moojy,that's very kind of you...

I'm actually near to Stafford but with family in Nottingham although I'm in Wales this week!

Would be great to try yours tho the logistics of it sound difficult!

moojy

Great. Well let's find a way to make it happen I'm sure we can manage it before crunch time in January.
Will let you know whenever I am in Leicester (more warning this time!) and you can just figure out if it works for you and if not we'll just try the next time round until it happens.

Kash

Great. Well let's find a way to make it happen I'm sure we can manage it before crunch time in January.
Will let you know whenever I am in Leicester (more warning this time!) and you can just figure out if it works for you and if not we'll just try the next time round until it happens.
that would be great....no matter how hard I try,I just can't find a car that suits my particular needs as well as the levorg.

The only car that gets close is the golf r estate but I don't want a car that is so nickable,pretty common and dull looking (in my opinion)

The levorg is just the right size for me,has a great warranty,is pretty cheap,even for an 18 reg,has fantastic four wheel drive and is individual enough to keep me happy.

I think a tuning box,Kenwood android auto compatible stereo and possibly the hks exhaust would make it pretty much perfect for me as my next long term car..

Let me know when you are passing through moojy,I really do need to drive yours!

moojy

Will do, passed through Leicester stopover for only a few hours last Sunday but that wouldnt have been practical, so was keeping it in mind for a future visit. I expect it to happen in next 1-2 months for sure.

moojy

Will be in Leicester over the Christmas/New Year break for a few days Kash - if you want to have a look at the car.

Kash

That would be great moojy,I'm looking to buy early January...

If you let me know,that would be great

Kash

If anyone spies a 18 reg levorg for sale anywhere,can they flag it up on here,I can find 17 reg ones but I'm trying to buy the newest I can find!

I've looked at so many alternatives but the car that suits me best is the levorg...I can't believe they stopped importing them in the uk at almost the exact moment I was in the position to buy one.

Typical!

Last edited: